Would you ever...

Nuwtfly

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, angieram said:

I don't see Frank driving anything. His spot was empty at Saturday's game - I  did wonder if he was there until I saw him on the edge of the pitch.

55 minutes ago, cannable said:

Not had a car there all season 

BMW estate in his spot at the Forest game. I took a photo of mesen with it! Hope it was actually his car otherwise it's just a photo of an idiot next to a car.

3 hours ago, Norman said:

Nah, not having it.

He won 12 in 108 away games wasn't it at one time?

Couldn't care about the win at Millwall.

2009/10 seasom we had to wait until the middle of December for an away win. 

The away performances were turgid.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen posters on here bring up the Millwall win as a way to deflect criticism of our away performances under Clough. 

Ex managers are like ex Mrs, you remember fondly on them (unless they’re cheating cows) but at the end of the day they’re your ex for a reason. I really like Clough and felt sorry for him tonight but we have moved on from the 6/10 not too bad Clough to the 10/10 worldie Lampard 

3 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Ex managers are like ex Mrs, you remember fondly on them (unless they’re cheating cows) but at the end of the day they’re your ex for a reason. I really like Clough and felt sorry for him tonight but we have moved on from the 6/10 not too bad Clough to the 10/10 worldie Lampard 

I’d let Steve mcclaren cheat on me and take him back every single time 

Always liked him but no. Move on. 

Quite timely having just watched the City / Burton highlights followed by Nigel's post match interview. Honesty with the old Clough dry sense of humour. 

Interviewer: What did Pep say to you after the match?

Nigel: Pep said come in and have a glass of wine. I hope he's got more than a glass. 

Quality. 

I think tonight summed Nigel Clough up quite nicely. 

Tactically quiete naive, and too afraid of failure to win, but a clear leader and a really decent bloke. The way he talked about being proud of how far Burton had come was lovely. No wonder his players love him.

17 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Yes, but I think he’s in a position that he’s more than happy in.

Too many under appreciate the job he did here sadly. The stats that @admira did last week show the impact that the players he brought in had. We were very fortunate to get him, a lot of managers can promise they will buy cheap, use youth and get rid of the deadwood but Clough actually did it. He was an ‘experienced head’ in his back room staff away from having a proper promotion push himself.

This ignores Nigel's limitations. That the football in his final months was poor was not just due to lack of funds to buy players ( and in fact he did make some poor buying decisions as well as the good ones) but also due to his defensive mindset. That was something that ultimately cost him at Sheffield as well.

4 minutes ago, DRBee said:

This ignores Nigel's limitations. That the football in his final months was poor was not just due to lack of funds to buy players ( and in fact he did make some poor buying decisions as well as the good ones) but also due to his defensive mindset. That was something that ultimately cost him at Sheffield as well.

My comment of needing an experienced head with him is that he needed someone who could counteract his defensive mindedness. Every manager has limitations. The point I’m making is not many would want to do the job he did here, never mind doing it somewhat successfully.

No. Mac2 was a huge mistake. Never go back.

The for and against Clough argument has been played out on here so many times but the one thing that used to annoy the hell out of me - which I haven't seen mentioned before - is that seemingly every single free kick & corner was always just floated in. I can't remember ever seeing a set piece hit with any pace on it. Used to wind me up no end.

19 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Craig Bryson

Will Hughes

Chris Martin

Jeff Hendrick

Shaun Barker

Richard Keogh

Craig Forsyth

Jake Buxton

Johnny Russell

Bryson - amazing, Clough's best buy, easily.

Hughes - Academy

Chris Martin - 3 good seasons with Mcclaren, tosh under every other manager.

Hendrick - Academy 

Barker - Legend, ruined by injury.

Forsyth - I like him, ruined by injury.

Keogh - make your own mind up.

Buxton - club legend, not really that good.

Johnny Russell - good at times.

I don't really see these players as top scouting tbh, the two most successful players here have both been from the Academy and I don't think we've actually made any profit from any of Cloughs signings, maybe John Brayford that's about it? To say he was meant to be a top scout from the lower leagues, who did he bring in that was a bargain buy and turned out to be a top player.

17 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen posters on here bring up the Millwall win as a way to deflect criticism of our away performances under Clough. 

In still adamant the 12/13 side should have made the play-offs.

At home, we played good football, scored goals and finished the season with the fifth best home record. We outplayed the entirety of that season’s top six at home, bar Leicester, who we beat anyway.

But our away form that season was the the third worst in the division. We just didn’t try and outplay teams. He’d built a good side that played football but he didn’t trust it to open up away from home. 

Then the season after, when “[he] felt, for the first time, we had a squad capable of challenging for the play-offs” and he decided to let us open up away we spank two teams and do Brighton away! 

Ironically enough, the previous season’s home record saw teams coming to PPS and parking the bus and we couldn’t break them down. 

Archived