Would you ever...

Nuwtfly

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Been thinking about this one a lot recently.

Would you ever, under any circumstances, take Nigel Clough back as manager?

I’d rather gamble again and see the reaction 

That was the thing. He just goes to safety first mode all too easily. 

He always says "If you can't win then you don't lose".

But you can win. Every game. Some games you may spend a lot of time defending but you can always win. 

Even tonight they will have to defend for long periods and graft without the ball but they should also have a plan of what they need to do with their possession. 

"If you can't win then don't lose" to me seems like the mentality that if the game isn't going well then you just dig in and clear your lines. And that's how we played sometimes. Especially away and also going into the last 10 minutes of games. Yeah, take less risk etc. But don't just try to survive! Have a plan to score!

Kicking to corner flags is a bit negative unless you've somehow played your way into being battered. But then that probably started with pooping your pants anyway

12 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Ben Pringle

Lee Croft

Paul Dickov

Lee Hendrie 

Luke Varney

Chris Porter

Cywka

Ben Davies

Conor Doyle

Craig Bryson

Will Hughes

Chris Martin

Jeff Hendrick

Shaun Barker

Richard Keogh

Craig Forsyth

Jake Buxton

Johnny Russell

10 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

It was pretty painful at times. Often pinned in our own half at home with no ambition to get a second call, not even trying to counter attack, it was more hit it in to the corners and wait for their next attack.

He knew how to pick a player..

Ben Pringle

Lee Croft

Paul Dickov

Lee Hendrie 

Luke Varney

Chris Porter

Cywka

Ben Davies

Conor Doyle

I know he was on a tight budget but there's some shockers there.

Pringle wasn't a bad player you know? Just not a luxury we could let grow. We needed a more immediate solution

Croft career nose dived with us. He was doing ok before. He just flopped

Dickov was ok

Hendrie was bad

Varney was Jewell?

Porter was always injured. 

I liked Cywka. Again he was a luxury that we couldn't afford. But he was a flair player that I liked. And his naive play at Portsmouth was daft, the reaction was OTT but what Nigel had to say about it shows to me that he just isn't positive enough with his tactics. Cywka made a mistake but trying to beat players and score goals after the 80th minute should be encouraged. He basically did what Wilson did twice vs Norwich. Right attitude but wrong decision.

Didn't rate Davies or Doyle.

He seemed to struggle to spot a good striker. 

Theo, Sammon, Priskin, Davies, Porter, Moore... probably more that for one reason or another didn't work. Quicker to name the ones that did work out. 

Hulse (Jewell) Kuqi and Martin (who worked better for Mac1)

He fielded this team in a 4-1 win over Watford.

Fielding, Brayford, Barker, Leacock, Moxey, Bailey, Savage, Cywka, Green, Commons, Bueno. (Kuqi came off the bench and the team played off him like Martin in 13/14 & 14/15)

Good team really. A passing team. An attacking team. Probably a bit weak defensively but it's a nice base. 

A few months later after an obsession with Luke Moore and a blip this is the team vs Boro.

Fielding, Brayford, Barker, Ayala, Roberts, Addison, Pearson, Doyle, Green, Ward, Robinson. Ben Davies now involved too.

It's a team of grafters. It's pretty crap.

And that was Clough by match and by season. Start off with the positivity and end up hanging on. 

Lost faith. But he went down the right path a couple of times. Including before Mac came in. We'd scored that great goal in the Yeovil game and it looked like he was focusing on a footballing side again. But he would never have gone as daring as Mac did imo. 

32 minutes ago, Alpha said:

He fielded this team in a 4-1 win over Watford.

Fielding, Brayford, Barker, Leacock, Moxey, Bailey, Savage, Cywka, Green, Commons, Bueno. (Kuqi came off the bench and the team played off him like Martin in 13/14 & 14/15)

Good team really. A passing team. An attacking team. Probably a bit weak defensively but it's a nice base. 

A few months later after an obsession with Luke Moore and a blip this is the team vs Boro.

Fielding, Brayford, Barker, Ayala, Roberts, Addison, Pearson, Doyle, Green, Ward, Robinson. Ben Davies now involved too.

It's a team of grafters. It's pretty crap.

And that was Clough by match and by season. Start off with the positivity and end up hanging on. 

Lost faith. But he went down the right path a couple of times. Including before Mac came in. We'd scored that great goal in the Yeovil game and it looked like he was focusing on a footballing side again. But he would never have gone as daring as Mac did imo. 

And drubbed milwall 5-1 at theirs to really lay the crap away performances to rest.

11 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

And drubbed milwall 5-1 at theirs to really lay the crap away performances to rest.

Yeah, it was at home we'd been caught out wasn't it? 

Once by Burnley, as usual, and was it Reading that scored with like 3 of their first 3 attacks or something like that? 

I hate playing Burnley. Do you remember Chris Eagles ripping into us? Ward getting sent off? Eddie Howe's disgusting time wasting? Shackell's poo show? Martin's "dive"? Bueno got injured there maybe? 

Eurgh!

26 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Nah, not having it.

He won 12 in 108 away games wasn't it at one time?

Couldn't care about the win at Millwall.

2009/10 seasom we had to wait until the middle of December for an away win. 

The away performances were turgid.

8 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I was listening to Ben Robinson song his praises today on TS.

How when he first went to Burton he even gave up driving  his big Merc so he’d be more accepted at a non league club.

What a guy,you don’t see Frank giving up his Audi do you.

I don't see Frank driving anything. His spot was empty at Saturday's game - I  did wonder if he was there until I saw him on the edge of the pitch.

42 minutes ago, Norman said:

Nah, not having it.

He won 12 in 108 away games wasn't it at one time?

Couldn't care about the win at Millwall.

2009/10 seasom we had to wait until the middle of December for an away win. 

The away performances were turgid.

So he joined at beginning of 2009 and left in September 2013. A look at the league stats shows.....

2008-2009 W 3 plus 1 in the cup

2009-2010 W 3

2010-2011 W 5

2011-2012 W 7

2012-2013 W 4

2013-2014 W 3 plus 1 in the cup 

So not great,  but not quite as dire as portrayed.

I do love a good stat.....?

Archived