Would you ever...

Nuwtfly

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Been thinking about this one a lot recently.

Would you ever, under any circumstances, take Nigel Clough back as manager?

Yes, but I think he’s in a position that he’s more than happy in.

Too many under appreciate the job he did here sadly. The stats that @admira did last week show the impact that the players he brought in had. We were very fortunate to get him, a lot of managers can promise they will buy cheap, use youth and get rid of the deadwood but Clough actually did it. He was an ‘experienced head’ in his back room staff away from having a proper promotion push himself.

Yeah but not when he's still losing half his games and he'd have to shake that tendency to start grinding. 

I like the bloke. I like what he seems to value. He delivered attractive football (before undoing it to fix results) and he signs the players (mostly) that work hard and suit an attractive style when he can afford them.

It's just that "clean sheet" talk and how he tended to go back to selecting a line up that would battle for a result at the first sign of things going a bit dodgy.

No. Going up 1-0 at home and defending the lead for the rest of the game is nearly as bad as Rowett's style of football and we always conceded too, so it was pointless. Painful. Can't be bothered. Much rather score 4 and concede 3 ? and not to say his away record was nothing short of shocking!

13 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

No. Going up 1-0 at home and defending the lead for the rest of the game is nearly as bad as Rowett's style of football and we always conceded too, so it was pointless. Painful. Can't be bothered. Much rather score 4 and concede 3 ? and not to say his away record was nothing short of shocking!

I don't remember Clough's football being painful. Just sometimes tactically naive? Going 5-4-1 with thirty minutes to go is asking for it, in footballing terms. 

He knew how to pick a player though. And they all seemed to love him. 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I don't remember Clough's football being painful. Just sometimes tactically naive? Going 5-4-1 with thirty minutes to go is asking for it, in footballing terms. 

He knew how to pick a player though. And they all seemed to love him. 

It was pretty painful at times. Often pinned in our own half at home with no ambition to get a second call, not even trying to counter attack, it was more hit it in to the corners and wait for their next attack.

He knew how to pick a player..

Ben Pringle

Lee Croft

Paul Dickov

Lee Hendrie 

Luke Varney

Chris Porter

Cywka

Ben Davies

Conor Doyle

I know he was on a tight budget but there's some shockers there.

Archived