Derby’s Top Assists

Sparkle

I know we have lots of players who prefer to shoot but having

Forsyth as our main assist man with 4 ( he has missed a lot of games as well) 

Bennett as our next man with 3 ( he has missed a lot of games as well)

Marriott has 3 also 

you would have hoped to see other names topping that list at this stage of the season

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assists isn’t a very good stat for showing creativity of individuals imo, the only thing it really shows is the number of goals we’ve scored from build up play rather than robbing the ball and scoring straight away. The player with the assist isn’t nessercerily the one who created the move, who had much more impact on the goal.

I do think we lack creativity overall however, the number are quite low because a lot of our goals have been relying on freekicks and wondergoals rather than actual build up play. Thats what has me a little concerned abouy the rest of the season, at times it all feels a little bit clement in that we’re sorta playing the right way but don’t really have much threat about us, it’s all either too slow or we resort to long balls. It’s not really a strategy that will In the long term see us score enough goals to get promoted imo. We have to start playing quicker football on the deck, improve our movement and start carving out chances in open play, that’s when those numbers will start rising and we’ll pose a significant enough threat going forward to worry teams. Right now we’re a bit toothless and static, that’s why few assists are coming from your mounts and Bryson’s, because we don’t get them involved enough in attack, rather just seem to play over them.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Marriott has 3 also 

you would have hoped to see other names topping that list at this stage of the season

How does that add up? That accounts for 10 of our 38 goals this season. That means that at least 14 players are stuck on 2 assists or less. 

20 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

How does that add up? That accounts for 10 of our 38 goals this season. That means that at least 14 players are stuck on 2 assists or less. 

23 - No official assist

4 - Forsyth

3 - Bennett, Marriott

2 - Johnson, Bryson, Mount

1 - Nugent, Jozefzoon, Wilson, Bogle, Waghorn, Keogh, Carson

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

23 - No official assist

4 - Forsyth

3 - Bennett, Marriott

2 - Johnson, Bryson, Mount

1 - Nugent, Jozefzoon, Wilson, Bogle, Waghorn, Keogh, Carson

How do you get no official assist? Surely someone touched the ball last. We haven’t had Marriott nipping in on a bad back pass 23 times. 

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

How do you get no official assist? Surely someone touched the ball last. We haven’t had Marriott nipping in on a bad back pass 23 times. 

Freekicks for one, and I think we’ve had quite a few interceptions straight to goal etc, or deflected passes. See my post above for us not creating enough in open play

18 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Freekicks for one, and I think we’ve had quite a few interceptions straight to goal etc, or deflected passes. See my post above for us not creating enough in open play

Doesn’t the person that win the free kick get the assist, like penalties?

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Marriott has 3 also 

Duane should get a bonus mention for the best assist of an assist this season to date. That ball to Lawrence was a jewel 

Im surprised there are so many with "no official assist" I know if they take a deflection that greatly effects the ball path it doesnt count, but still seems high.

"Key Passes Per Game" is the the metric alot of people talk up as the alternative, which is sort of chances created?

Mason Mount 2.2

Harry Wilson 1.6

Mason Bennett 1.2

Craig Forsyth 1.1

Scott Malone 0.9

Mason Mount is 5th in the league and the most of any player under 21.

5 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Im surprised there are so many with "no official assist" I know if they take a deflection that greatly effects the ball path it doesnt count, but still seems high.

"Key Passes Per Game" is the the metric alot of people talk up as the alternative, which is sort of chances created?

Mason Mount 2.2

Harry Wilson 1.6

Mason Bennett 1.2

Craig Forsyth 1.1

Scott Malone 0.9

Mason Mount is 5th in the league and the most of any player under 21.

How can craig forsthy have 4 assists but only 1.1 key passes? These statistics make no sense. 

Mount is up there in terms of chances created. Think it was Fozzy who was credited with the assist for Bryson’s goal against Sheff Utd, when the goal was really created by Mounts turn and pass to Fozzy taking 3 players out the game that created the goal.

Assists are definitely not everything.

7 hours ago, jono said:

Duane should get a bonus mention for the best assist of an assist this season to date. That ball to Lawrence was a jewel 

But lawrence's ball to marriott was even better.

Archived