1st Car advice.

Rev

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ilkleyram said:

After the second time she decided that the grass wasn't greener 

That explains it.

When I asked her where I ranked in previous lovers, she gave me a spread between 90 and 130!

I would get a Ford fiesta or focus, with as much service history and parts recipts as you can possibly get.  Like it has been said, cars don't rot anymore, unless abused, and a car will quite happily run to 250k if driven and maintained correctly.  I would avoid Vauxhall Corsa, as the EMS is prone to letting in water and it's a grand to replace.

14 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I wanted to add him to my insurance, I've just had a renewal quote of £275.

This is admittedly the most expensive quote a comparasion site produced, but their wasn't much in it to the cheapest.Screenshot_20190107-123735.thumb.png.e20543d9dafb61d9bc0cd18cf7e32a29.png

The personal accident cover and the Motor legal protection looks a good price.?

In my experience. I gave a car worth about £2000 to my step son. He has had it about a year and the car is now worth about £200 if I am lucky.

Never cleaned, scratches all over it. Inside is filthy. 

Almost had to drag him to the garage to top up his tyres as they were almost flat (after telling him to do it on a weekly basis)

I am not saying this will happen, but based on my experience, I would suggest an old banger for the first year or two until the insurance comes down.

Like you said, if an old cheap car gets bashed you can decide whether to fix it, If a new car gets a bash, then you will feel compelled to use your insurance.. 

Off to the auctions tomorrow to take a look at a Punto.

12 years old, a few dents and scratches and generally untidy looking, but only 8k on clock with a full annual service history, and MOT till December.

Even book price is only around £600, so hoping it's a bargain.

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

12 years old, a few dents and scratches and generally untidy looking, but only 8k on clock with a full annual service history, and MOT till December.

sounds dodgy, why is it in such bad condition for 8k miles

22 hours ago, 86 points said:

Lots of second hand bargains out there. Not his first car but bought the lad a Audi a3 1.9 TDi Sport with 82K (2004 plate) for £995. Nippy without being daft

I'd classfy a mini metro as being nippy, a turbo diesel audi will have some serious bhp under the bonnet 

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Why would you do an annual service on a car that was only driven for about 750 miles every year

2 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Avoid an temptation to put yourself as lead driver on it. Insurance companies are cracking down on that big time!

I know, want him to build up his NCD anyway, but it brings the insurance down anyway with me as second driver.

I used to stick the missus on as named driver, once an insurance agent told me it would bring the premium down.

At the time, I'd been driving claim free for nearly a decade, and she only had a provisional having failed the test 5 times already, and it took a massive chunk off!

23 hours ago, reveldevil said:

What's the sort of thing my lad should be looking at as a first car?

Is it better to buy/rent a new small car for the cheaper insurance, or does it make more sense to buy an older car, pay more insurance but not care if it ends up knackered?

For example, he could buy a Honda Jazz 1.4 for £1250 and pay the same in insurance, or a Seat Mii new for £150 a month but insurance is £500 less.

Personally I'd go for the older car, thinking you're bound to get a few as scrapes as you're still learning, just looking for advice really.

No brainer buy an older car with a smaller engine. Might want to look at vehicle telematics to reduce the insurance cost further 

8 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Why would you do an annual service on a car that was only driven for about 750 miles every year

11 minutes ago, sage said:

sounds dodgy, why is it in such bad condition for 8k miles

No idea, it's quite hard to tell how bad it is from the pictures, and because it's older than 10 years they don't specifically list the faults in a condition report.

As for the servicing, I know I wouldn't do it, but the mileage is verified by the MOT certificates and the stamped service book is present.

It's listed as stage 4 condition, out of 5, but I won't lose anything by taking a look.

Tbh, it's years since I've bought a banger, had a drive around today for a few hours at the sort of places I used to buy cars from, but they're mostly hand car washes now!

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

No idea, it's quite hard to tell how bad it is from the pictures, and because it's older than 10 years they don't specifically list the faults in a condition report.

As for the servicing, I know I wouldn't do it, but the mileage is verified by the MOT certificates and the stamped service book is present.

It's listed as stage 4 condition, out of 5, but I won't lose anything by taking a look.

Tbh, it's years since I've bought a banger, had a drive around today for a few hours at the sort of places I used to buy cars from, but they're mostly hand car washes now!

tbh every car I have bought privately has been good and every car I have bought from a garage has been a nightmare

18 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Agreed if it's cosmetic bumps and dings then I wouldn't be bothered at all, if half the wheel arches and sills are corroded with rust then probably best to walk away.

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Only 8k on the clock but with a few dents and scratches - someone been playing bumping cars?

Archived