Marriott the ultimate clone

MackworthRamIsGod

In Marriott we potentially have the most complete striker i have seen at Derby.

He has the goal scorers instinct of Dean Saunders, the pace of Dean Sturridge and the ability to battle for the ball like Chris Martin was able to.

2 of those strikers did it on the big stage but I see no reason why he couldn't.

If it was possible to put a value on him I just wonder what it would be?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still has a long way to go to reach the achievements of the players you've compared him to in my opinion.

In all 3 games against Premier League opposition this season he has scored, however, all teams did play 'weakened' teams.

Think he needs to work on his first touch but other than that agree that his all round game is looking very good.

From a team perspective I think we need to be quicker in identifying games where he is struggling with long balls up to him and be quicker to change tactics.

Think there have been too many games where we have continued going long to him when he is quite clearly getting no joy, and his frustration is there for all to see.

It is unfair to loft high balls to him, when he’s seven inches shorter than the guy marking him. Flatter long balls yes, like the winning goal at Norwich, though ironically it was Josefzoon’s airshot that threw their defence entirely! 

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Still has a long way to go to reach the achievements of the players you've compared him to in my opinion.

In all 3 games against Premier League opposition this season he has scored, however, all teams did play 'weakened' teams.

Think he needs to work on his first touch but other than that agree that his all round game is looking very good.

From a team perspective I think we need to be quicker in identifying games where he is struggling with long balls up to him and be quicker to change tactics.

Think there have been too many games where we have continued going long to him when he is quite clearly getting no joy, and his frustration is there for all to see.

It’s more about the winning the second ball and turning the other team around than Marriott winning the header. The problem we had was that he was often isolated in the first half, in the second Bryson got a lot closer and he also had Nugent to help.

Everything about him looks wrong and playing him up on his own just shouldn't work.

but he makes it work.

he harries defenders, he darts into spaces, he strikes it first time. great competitor. Great attitude.

Doesn't get mardy or big headed.

fantastic......reminds me of a striker we got from halifax and sold to Leeds. Scored 100 goals for us. 

Bernie Davies...  i think his name was.

38 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

It’s more about the winning the second ball and turning the other team around than Marriott winning the header. The problem we had was that he was often isolated in the first half, in the second Bryson got a lot closer and he also had Nugent to help.

I’m with you all the way, kept nudging my my mate, he needs support all first half. Nudge comes on, we switch to 4-4-2 and Marriott had them worried; think he’d be all most Championship defences with support alongside him.

Doubt it’s going to happen but I’d really like to see us start a 4-4-2 with either Nugent or Waghorn up with him. Think we would see far better use of Marriott.

1 hour ago, Rambam said:

It is unfair to loft high balls to him, when he’s seven inches shorter than the guy marking him. Flatter long balls yes, like the winning goal at Norwich, though ironically it was Josefzoon’s airshot that threw their defence entirely! 

He needs balls through the middle or over the top to run onto his pace is unreal, but he also holds the ball up well 

Actually, in playing style he reminds me of Paul Goddard, the way he falls back off defences and almost runs against the flow of play to make the openings. Marriott looks like a great buy, a steal in the inflated market we live in, but before we start going all gooey kneed I would take a moment to think of his club predecessor, Assombalongabingbong. Half a season in after 'they' signed him people were talking of him as a thing of wonder, he's stalled a little and while he is still an effective Championship player he would be first on the 'For Sale' list of Boro got promoted. All I am saying is that careers are written over seasons, not over a few games - happy to have him but this (hopefully) is only the beginning.

24 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Actually, in playing style he reminds me of Paul Goddard, the way he falls back off defences and almost runs against the flow of play to make the openings. Marriott looks like a great buy, a steal in the inflated market we live in, but before we start going all gooey kneed I would take a moment to think of his club predecessor, Assombalongabingbong. Half a season in after 'they' signed him people were talking of him as a thing of wonder, he's stalled a little and while he is still an effective Championship player he would be first on the 'For Sale' list of Boro got promoted. All I am saying is that careers are written over seasons, not over a few games - happy to have him but this (hopefully) is only the beginning.

True but he’s played for the gumps and had some pretty bad injuries so he had a lot to deal with, especially the gumps bit!

Pulis doesn’t fancy him either so he’s probably a pretty good player!

Great signing, brilliant all round player. Just need to start playing actual football instead of hoofball towards him and we’ll be laughing. Maybe a proper midfield will sort that. Easily could make it in the prem in a side that plays proper football imo, let’s hope that’s us. In fact I’d go as far to say that Marriott could yet play for England, we’ve seen the likes of Callum Wilson etc get a chance, he’s very much in that vein. 

Have to be a little cautious though that this hasn’t been a long term show of class yet however, he’s only been playing for us for a few months. I’d argue his value will have nigh on doubled to closer to 10 mil by now, but prove himself further and that will continue to rise.

3 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

In Marriott we potentially have the most complete striker i have seen at Derby.

He has the goal scorers instinct of Dean Saunders, the pace of Dean Sturridge and the ability to battle for the ball like Chris Martin was able to.

2 of those strikers did it on the big stage but I see no reason why he couldn't.

If it was possible to put a value on him I just wonder what it would be?

I’m not belittling Marriott , far from it 

but he doesn’t have the same touch and awareness of those around him like Martin did in his hey day.

there’s one big reason why craig bryson hit as many goals as he did in that season, namely Chris martins awareness and ability to bring others into play 

Marriott doesn’t do that 

Just Different types of players nothing wrong with it 

I see Marriott as more a Saunders or Davison, on the the shoulder buzzing around the centre half

nothing like a Chris Martin type player tbh 

Archived