Vs Leeds away. (Matchday thread).

Rev

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Exactly!  I  will worry if we play like last night over several matches but if we show a good reaction next weekend, as we have done on previous occasions, then we are well in the mix for the playoffs. 

The concern has to be, why didn't the team put up any kind of fight? Hoping for a chance of promotion on the basis of 'the teams below are worse' is probably not going to work, as in every likelyhood, one of those teams will have the bottle to go for it. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, angieram said:

Well,  I know the family own a dog but as you say, they shouldn't react to that.

The dog was sniffing around B4's foot, maybe something to do with the medication he uses for his bad feet. Who knows? 

Perhaps he trod in something.

actually......dogs like licking feet. Once a vicar in open toed sandals turned up at our house, and before anyone could speak the dog went straight for his bare feet and licked all his toes ?

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

He'd also have been less mobile than Stephen Hawking

Horses for courses. Conversely, Steve Howard or Jack Marriott? Teddy Sheringham or Ian Wright? Seth Johnson or Kris Commons all polar opposites in the same position.  All great players provided they are utilised correctly. That’s down to the manager. He Went for the more mobile Evans who didn’t lay a glove on a Leeds player. Hudds probably wouldn’t either but unlike Evans he maybe had the composure and technique to pick a ball that got Marriott facing the right direction.

5 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

Horses for courses. Conversely, Steve Howard or Jack Marriott? Teddy Sheringham or Ian Wright? Seth Johnson or Kris Commons all polar opposites in the same position.  All great players provided they are utilised correctly. That’s down to the manager. He Went for the more mobile Evans who didn’t lay a glove on a Leeds player. Hudds probably wouldn’t either but unlike Evans he maybe had the composure and technique to pick a ball that got Marriott facing the right direction.

I know it’s hypothetical, but Marriott, Sheringham and Commons for me. However the Wright v Sheringhan one, wow that’s tough. Great post 

3 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

Maybe. Its all about opinions. But for me the primary duty of that holding player is to protect the centre backs, and i've had my say.

The positive was that there were very few attacks down the centre. The central mids dealt with them.

Leeds either chose to go wide or were forced to go wide.

i can only rememember a couple of times when they tried to play roofe in down the middle and a forshaw shot from 25 yards that had carson diving full length. Other than that....?

11 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

This is ridiculous. You’ve got some deep rooted disliking for a player and it’s clouding your judgement. There were at least 7 worse performing players last night than Lawrence. 

Carson, Tomori, both fullbacks, Evans, Bryson, Mount if you wanted names... 

Jesus what he tried didn’t come off but he was the only one in their half trying something. 

Carry on telling our players how to celebrate...maybe we could introduce rules and really suck the fun out of football! 

His assist and goal against Southampton were both class. He isn’t going to produce that every game. No winger in the championship is hence why they’re in the championship! 

That winger for Leeds who gave Lowe nightmares will probably be poor in their next game. 

LOL - player gets endless stick. Provides a worldy assist and scores a cracker himself. Chucks some bantz back at fans. Gets character assassinated for it. It's like all the players are meant to have teflon skin and calmly accept any amount of grief, justified or otherwise, but give a fan a bit of grief back and it's like someone shot Bambi. Does my feckin swede.

Friday night games really put a downer on the whole weekend, if the performance/result is like last night's.

For some reason this one feels extra bad, and I can't explain why.

I haven't felt so low about a result since the play off final, which I know is stupid.

40 minutes ago, europia said:

The concern has to be, why didn't the team put up any kind of fight? Hoping for a chance of promotion on the basis of 'the teams below are worse' is probably not going to work, as in every likelyhood, one of those teams will have the bottle to go for it. 

I am pretty sure that the spygate thing did affect us. I don't know what time of day it was when the guy was spotted, or what time and how long the training sessions last, but I know that the players were all taken off the training ground as the police arrived.

But if it was towards the end of training, then all of Frank and the teams training, and all the practicing of routines went in the bin, with no time at all to come up with alternatives. I would find that pretty demoralising. It is no surprise that Leeds had an answer for everything we tried to do, and knew exactly what to do to stop us from playing. It might have been better psychologically if we hadn't have found out what they were up to, then we wouldn't have gone into the match with our heads already drooping down.

In addition Frank said in his pre-match interviews about the spying that another guy was caught sneaking around the training ground for the Pride Park match at the start of the season. Bielsa has admitted to doing it, so it is definitely worth doing, and may be a reason why they are seemingly so far ahead of any other team in the Championship, apart from a couple of "off" games just recently.

I don't think it would have changed the result last night, (or the home match result) because Leeds played really well. However, without the issue, we would more likely have made a fight of it and given them a game.

AS  said earlier i this thread, I would hope for sever censure for what they have been doing, as well as a huge ban for their keeper, but I doubt whether either will happen because (a) it is Leeds United and (b) it isn't Derby County. ?

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Maybe. Its all about opinions. But for me the primary duty of that holding player is to protect the centre backs, and i've had my say.

The positive was that there were very few attacks down the centre. The central mids dealt with them.

i can only rememember a couple of times when they tried to play roofe in down the middle and a forshaw shot from 25 yards that had carson diving full length. Other than that....?

Fair one mate, I recorded it as I was dining out but caught the last 15 on the wireless on the way back and plumped for the highlights rather than the full agony. 

I’m a firm believer of put the best players on the pitch and it’s a start. Hudds is definitely that. His issue is that his usual CM colleagues aren’t really traditional CM’s they are AM glory boys. We miss a Seth Johnson or a Cattermole/Henderson workhorse to shovel the coal.

12 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I am pretty sure that the spygate thing did affect us. I don't know what time of day it was when the guy was spotted, or what time and how long the training sessions last, but I know that the players were all taken off the training ground as the police arrived.

But if it was towards the end of training, then all of Frank and the teams training, and all the practicing of routines went in the bin, with no time at all to come up with alternatives. I would find that pretty demoralising. It is no surprise that Leeds had an answer for everything we tried to do, and knew exactly what to do to stop us from playing. It might have been better psychologically if we hadn't have found out what they were up to, then we wouldn't have gone into the match with our heads already drooping down.

In addition Frank said in his pre-match interviews about the spying that another guy was caught sneaking around the training ground for the Pride Park match at the start of the season. Bielsa has admitted to doing it, so it is definitely worth doing, and may be a reason why they are seemingly so far ahead of any other team in the Championship, apart from a couple of "off" games just recently.

I don't think it would have changed the result last night, (or the home match result) because Leeds played really well. However, without the issue, we would more likely have made a fight of it and given them a game.

AS  said earlier i this thread, I would hope for sever censure for what they have been doing, as well as a huge ban for their keeper, but I doubt whether either will happen because (a) it is Leeds United and (b) it isn't Derby County. ?

Oh fgs Leeds were the better team in every way. All this moaning and whining makes dcfc fans look a bit daft.This stupid incident did not affect the result! Dont let the guy get under your skin. He obviously went to the alex ferguson school of winding up.

Next match please. Looking at results today no team looks like they want a play off spot so crack on lads and win the next one.

16 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

It might have been better psychologically if we hadn't have found out what they were up to, then we wouldn't have gone into the match with our heads already drooping down.

Agree with all these points entirely. We were beaten in the mind before a ball was kicked.

Nothing will happen from the authorities.

31 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Friday night games really put a downer on the whole weekend, if the performance/result is like last night's.

For some reason this one feels extra bad, and I can't explain why.

I haven't felt so low about a result since the play off final, which I know is stupid.

We were feeble that’s why! - just like the two away games against Burton Albion 

Just now, Ramleicester said:

Oh fgs Leeds were the better team in every way. All this moaning and whining makes dcfc fans look a bit daft.This stupid incident did not affect the result! Dont let the guy get under your skin. He obviously went to the alex ferguson school of winding up.

Next match please. Looking at results today no team looks like they want a play off spot so crack on lads and win the next one.

I couldn't agree more, LeicesterRam. They totally outplayed us, both home and away, and would have beaten us regardless. They are a very impressive team, which begs the question "Why all the dark arts and skullduggery?" As with the Revie team, there is no need for it, they are well good enough in their own right.

My point about last night wasn't that we were beaten, but the abject display. But if the team had all their plans and tactics stolen from them just as they were about to get on the team coach with no chance to do anything about it, then that they wandered on to the pitch with an already defeated attitude is no surprise.

We have this uncanny luck with our fixtures. We just played Forest 17th Dec (local derbies are never easy games). Followed by Bristol city on 22nd Dec (caught them during their good run of form). Next was Sheff utd 26th Dec ( been in the top 6 most of the season). Then Norwich 29th Dec (also fllying high).  Then M'boro 1st Jan (The hardest team to score against). Then a FA cup game, Southampton 5th Jan ( a Premiership side). Leeds 11th Jan (Playing away against top of table and they know all your tactics).

Thats  no easy game against 7 teams in 25 days, roll on the Reading game. Oh balls, I forgot we have a FA cup replay to come first. We also on top of all this have several players out injured. Lets prayer and hope we have players back from injuries and no others getting crocked. We get a gem of a player or two during this transfer window. Then starting with Reading go on a long unbeaten run until the end of the season.

One thing we might take from the game is their tactic at corners.

they either had no players in the 6yd box or just one (roofe)

the other players - 5 or 6 of them - charged in from the edge of the box attacking the ball that was dropped into the 6yd box.

very difficult to defend.

no idea how many goals they have scored off corners but it looked dangerous.

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Agree with all these points entirely. We were beaten in the mind before a ball was kicked.

Nothing will happen from the authorities.

Really reminded me of the Ashes Test where we went in with hope more than belief and Harmison sent the first ball shovelling down to third slip and we  just immediately deflated.  

Watching Wisdom awkwardly try and side foot the ball whilst Leeds swarmed all over him; then clumsily try and rectify the situation seemed equally symbolic. Slow, half hearted, lacking in confidence and commitment... 1min in and we were already on the back foot.

Fresh start tomorrow.  Game consigned to mental history. 

We aren't a million miles away. Next game is massive. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I think that was a big part of the problem. The Leeds players seemed to be positioned ‘between the lines’, which in effect caused the centre mods to sit deep and our wide men to come too central. This resulted in a 2 vs 1 overload in the wide areas for our full backs to deal with. 

Leeds wide men also had too much space allowing them to switch play far too easily. Either our full backs should have stayed a bit wider, or our wingers should have done and offered more protection. 

Archived