Vs Leeds away. (Matchday thread).

Rev

I have to say that I do (grudgingly) admire Leeds' pressing.  Never got a second on the ball and when they get it they move it with pace and are always on the front foot.  Very good team.  I know it goes against the grain to give the opposition credit for beating us rather than blaming the team for defeat, but that's what I think it was tonight.  The better team won and I dont think there is any massive shame in that.

There are clearly areas we could improve and do better.  I do think we look a bit lightweight at times and need somebody destructive in midfield.  A few players will also not be happy with their performance too (though again, it may be that they weren't 'allowed' to play well).  However, overall you have to give the opposition credit (doesn't stop me thinking of them as a bunch of dirty gits)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been like this for sometime now, it's not just this lack of performance against Leeds.

1. Carson at fault for the build up to the goal, as he should have caught what was a simple cross.

2. Wisdom, what has happened to him? He used to be a good defender. He hasn't got a clue now.

3. Lowe, he's not a full back, he's a talented left-sided midfield player.

4. Tomori, undoubtedly talented, but a central defender? He should be the DM or RB/LB.

5. Keogn, not a bad game actually.

6. Evans?! Oh, for a fully fit Thorne!

7. Bryson, looked better after Evans went off and playing the DM play-maker role.

8. Mount. A big reputation, but what does he bring to the team? A passenger!

9. Marrriot, couldn't believe he was substituted. There were far worse performers on the pitch.

10. Lawrence. Needs to offer far more, but better than Mount.

11. Holmes. Tried and showed glimpses, but he needs others to be available.

---------------

Jozefzoon - ? Surely Waghorn brings more to the team?!

Nugent - he tries and gives a focal point for Marriott to feed off, so Marriott gets subbed!

Waghorn - should be starting and giving us more muscle. Wouldn't mind him being Marriott's partner with Nuge coming on for 15mins at end if needed.

Apparently we are not going to be signing anyone in the January window, which is a shame, as I hoped we had someone lined up.  I'm not optimistic of a top 6 finish, but as the competition is also inconsistent, who knows!

I think we have to accept Leeds have been our Achilles heel this year. We’ve performed excellently against the rest of the top six, but Bielsa has Lampard beat. So be it. Move on. A bit like Leicester, ducking hated playing them the season they went up, they always dominated us. 

Well I guess sometimes you get well beat by the top of the league.

I do think though the first half really highlighted the current problem with the side, and it goes deeper than just an individual player or position, we aren't reliably transitioning out of defence and through midfield. 

The midfield balance isn't right and we are crying out for a linking midfielder. Wisdom seriously hindered us playing out and highlights why Bogle has been playing but we've been asking Bogle to do too much and really could do with someone to come in with Bogle being there understudy. Lowe is a decent footballer but was completely caught off guard by the pace of the game and panicked a bit. Carson as much as he's been good we really could do with someone with more reliable distribution.

We are probably 2-4 players away from really being able to play the way Lampard is intending at consistency.

Only positive from that is I’m in derby for the next few days and not Leeds. Proper fed up of this now, is it too much to ask for a team that can ducking pass a ball to a man and hold onto it ffs. For someone to actually defend a cross. For some movement. For some strength. For some desire. For some energy. For some intelligence.

We played better football under Rowett than we have the last couple of months in the main imo. It’s just brainless hoofing to the five foot Marriott. The midfield doesn’t exist. Controversial but it’s true. I’m not having it anymore. There’s no excuses, this isn’t good enough. And it hasn’t been for a while. 

Thats just scratching the surface. I knew we were likely to lose tonight, but that performance is not anywhere near the standard a side like ours should be showing. We travelled all this way to witness nothing. 

Sincerly, one very pissed off millenniumram

3 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Most fans would have taken 6th in Jan having played 4 of the top 7 twice if offered...

Possibly true, but if they’d been shown this performance would they be happy with it?

After tomorrow we’ll be hanging onto 6th.

Saddened by our performance tonight. Not a popular school of thought but these are the games that matter, not gutsy losses to Premiership Chelsea and the like. No point in singling out players as we were poor all over the park. It's not the loss or being outplayed that makes me sad, more the fact that we showed so little spirit and zero self-belief. Really needed cheering up today and that was not the ticket. Heyho. We wipe our mouths and go again I suppose. What seems clear is that we desperately need a leader of men brought in this window. I suppose if nothing else, Frank will have seen who he doesn't need moving forwards even if it's not clear from that performance who he can actually rely upon. Hate having to say it but Leeds were excellent again today. In Jack Clarke they've uncovered a star of the future. Played with no nerves or fear and an abundance of skill. Well jealous I am. Best get off to drink myself unconscious now, I guess. COYR

2 minutes ago, Finch said:

Bottom line we don't have an effective midfield. Project in progress could not survive in PL. 

100% agree.

No cover for defence, little support for attack. Our centre was out ran out, out thought and out performed today. Just like the previous game against Leeds.

Thought they were very good though. They had players everywhere made easier by ours being nowhere. Our only complaint can be not getting a pen and their keeper not being sent off. But that is literally it.

We may find they don’t get the points for this anyway unless the FA wants to promote spying.

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I think we have to accept Leeds have been our Achilles heel this year. We’ve performed excellently against the rest of the top six, but Bielsa has Lampard beat. So be it. Move on. A bit like Leicester, ducking hated playing them the season they went up, they always dominated us. 

Currently we are very very mismatched against a team like Leeds because we can become very unstuck under heavy effective pressing.

10 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Not embarrassing? We didn’t have a single shot on goal against a team that lost its last 3 games! These are not ducking Wolves last season mate - it was a pathetic performance made worse by Lampards clueless tactical decisions. 

Again, teams lose games. Just because they lost the last 3 it doesn't automatically mean they're crap. Embarrassing is losing 4-1 at home to bottom of the league, not getting well beaten by a very good team who will most likely finish top. Also, the same tactical decisions won us the game at Norwich, Naive yes, clueless very reactionary and over the top.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Carson - 4

Wisdom - 3

Keogh - 5

Tomori - 5

Lowe - 3

Evans - 4

Mount - 4

Bryson - 4 (running around doesn't give us anything)

Lawrence - 4

Holmes - 6

Marriott - 4 

Nugent - 5

Joz - 5

Waghorn - 4

Lampard - 4 

You’ve been a bit generous with your scoring.

Archived