Best Premier League Player EVER!!

ronnieronalde

8 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Pressing stats ? Come on, i play football every week and would return good stats, however if you watched it you would see the football is nearly at walking pace that makes it a lot easier to do. I’m not saying the PL is the best, Messi isn’t the second or third best player in the world, or the Spanish league is not a good league, just that the physical and mental demands on that league are a lot less. As pep said, the PL is the toughest in the world.

Messi will be remembered as being a great at Barcelona,  the Spanish league and CL, CR will be remembered as a great in several leagues at several clubs with winners medals at international level. Still an impressive achievement by Messi, bit like Steve Bull at Wolves.

And how many Spanish games have you watched exactly outside of Barcelona and Real Madrid? You’re again confusing it win Serie A which is a genuine slower pace. Some Spanish teams like Real Betis, Eibar and Bilbao are some of the best pressing teams in Europe.  And Pep never said the pl is the best, he said it’s tough like every league because there are more games and the weather isn’t the best.  He said  the premier league is marketed the best, which it undoubtedly is.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6170583-pep-guardiola-labels-premier-league-overrated-but-explains-why-work-in-england-is-better-than-spain

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

It’s not as if Ronaldo went to smaller clubs either, he went to the biggest club in England, the Biggest club in Spain and an all conquering club in Italy. 

Indeed, all those signing on fees, millions in wages, millions in sponsorship and so on and still decided he wanted more and didnt pay his taxes.

Shame such a good player ends up a convicted criminal.

Messi does it against the likes of Espanyol, Real Madrid, the “butchers from Bilbao” and Atletico Madrid every year, sides who rip him to absolute pieces and he gets up and does well. There aren’t any teams in the prem as physically tough foul wise as those sides. Some of the fouls that Ramos, Carvalho and Pepe used to do on Messi were disgusting 

What's your definition of best? Most goals / assists / tackles / saves? Trophies won / games played?

For me it has to be impact that player had on the club they were playing for and for that reason I take on board @Parsnip's suggestion of Lampard as a candidate - for both Chelsea and Man City he fundamentally took them to a different level.

But, for me, if we are looking across the whole Premier League era I couldn't look beyond Giggs or Cantona. I'd probably give it to Cantona for the fact he was cool as .... (I'll leave a gap here as 'cool as duck' makes him sound like something out of a Disney movie) and didn't shag his brother's wife (that we know of).

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

And how many Spanish games have you watched exactly outside of Barcelona and Real Madrid? You’re again confusing it win Serie A which is a genuine slower pace. Some Spanish teams like Real Betis, Eibar and Bilbao are some of the best pressing teams in Europe.  And Pep never said the pl is the best, he said it’s tough like every league because there are more games and the weather isn’t the best.  He said  the premier league is marketed the best, which it undoubtedly is.

https://www.90min.com/posts/6170583-pep-guardiola-labels-premier-league-overrated-but-explains-why-work-in-england-is-better-than-spain

Maybe your not reading my posts, I never said the PL is the best ? I also said Pep said it was the toughest, not the best.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.squawka.com/en/news/premier-league-is-harder-to-win-than-la-liga-and-bundesliga-says-pep-guardiola/1033544%3famp-on

And to quote him from another article...Pep admitted: "When people ask me what is different about the Premier League, it is because we have a lot of those [big] games. There are usually five or six contenders to win the Premier League so you have many.”

Ive watched many a Spanish game, quite a few in person as well, I’m not saying the football between a Burnley and Cardiff would be better than any of the games I have watched, however I can honestly say it would be more physical and hurried/quicker.

18 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Indeed, all those signing on fees, millions in wages, millions in sponsorship and so on and still decided he wanted more and didnt pay his taxes.

Shame such a good player ends up a convicted criminal.

He is not alone though, Messi also being convicted of the same offence. In fact if you look at this country you will find that over the years people had tried to find loopholes like off shore companies to avoid paying tax, even the worlds govering body has several black marks, to say the least against them.

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

He is not alone though, Messi also being convicted of the same offence. In fact if you look at this country you will find that over the years people had tried to find loopholes like off shore companies to avoid paying tax, even the worlds govering body has several black marks, to say the least against them.

Agree, and Neymar I think wasn't he done too? People have had black marks against them for trying to evade tax, the likes of Gary Barlow, but while morally wrong I dont think at the time it was illegal. Ronaldo, messi et al commiteed criminal offences in trying to avoid it.

Thing is if it had been a builder in Spain to the tune of 35000 euros bet he wouldnt have got away with it like the super rich do.

Being able to pay it back shouldn't be reflected in your sentence.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Agree, and Neymar I think wasn't he done too? People have had black marks against them for trying to evade tax, the likes of Gary Barlow, but while morally wrong I dont think at the time it was illegal. Ronaldo, messi et al commiteed criminal offences in trying to avoid it.

Thing is if it had been a builder in Spain to the tune of 35000 euros bet he wouldnt have got away with it like the super rich do.

Being able to pay it back shouldn't be reflected in your sentence.

I think we have had this debate before so won’t dwell on it to long, but the Spanish law is a bit different. The two year sentence is one that is given out and would be the same for both the builder and the footballer, both have broke the law and the sentence would be lower for the builder however neither would be required to do the time inside.

For me it’s irrelevant if the builder couldn’t afford to pay and therefore that led to time inside, he knew the crime and all that, and as per Gary Barlow these footballers did it because the law allows them to pay it back and not go to prison. We are now seeing a change in laws in this country, not only are the individuals at risk, but also anyone in the chain, will be interesting to see how this pans out over the next few years....anyway we digress ?

Just now, MuespachRam said:

Nope It wasn’t. It was just RENAMED then. Big difference. 

Right, but the thread is talking about in PREMIER LEAGUE history, and no point is it claimed football was invented in 92. There’s a whole generation of fans now that will only known footballs top tier to be the Premier League. Have a day off Meldrew, the cat pissed in your pool again?

42 minutes ago, David said:

Right, but the thread is talking about in PREMIER LEAGUE history, and no point is it claimed football was invented in 92. There’s a whole generation of fans now that will only known footballs top tier to be the Premier League. Have a day off Meldrew, the cat pissed in your pool again?

Just because a snickers is called a snickers doesn’t mean it’s not a marathon. 

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The first season I ever SAW was our first at Pride Park... that’s when football was invented as far as I’m concerned ?

Thats why I’ll always defend us whipper snappers and Pride Park, these old farts don’t appreciate that this stadium means as much to younger fans as the BBG did to them back on the day when they knock it, flat pack stadiums on retail parks with a Subway is football. 

Went to a few games at the Baseball Ground but my first season ticket was the first season at Pride Park, white plastic flip wallet thing with the Ram and yellow banner underneath, the days where you tore the stubs out. Took me mum down to the opening, saw the Queens gloved handle waving away out the car as it tootled round the pitch. Memories right there.

The Premier League top flight branding has been around for 27 years now, anyone under 35 Division 1 is where Leeds and Forest were relegated to.

37 next month myself so I’m borderline, can vaguely remembering it launching and having Sky Sports installed. Destroyed football apparently, but without it we wouldn’t have seen as much of Cantona, Bergkamp, Henry, Scholes, Zola, Schmeichel, Ronaldo and co.

Bergkamp is the greatest for me. Hands down. Baiano second.

Thierry Henry for me too. 

Ronaldo took time to develop into anything but a quick feet dancer. He could achieve with 100 stepovers what Ryan Giggs could do without any. Same end product. Well, actually the opportunities Ronaldo used to get in and the number he delivered on were quite separate for a while. Most the excitement came from him having the number 7 shirt. 

Arsenal is still the best team in the PL history to me. They were unbeaten and they did it playing fun football. I remember that team better than most the United sides after Giggs, Beckham, Scholes. 

Having Henry in your team was cheating. Too good.

Archived