26 game comparison season by season

admira

Main difference to recent years seems to be the number of goals we have already shipped this season. Also every year since 2013/14, we have ended the season lower in the table than we were at the start of January so that needs to change if we are to stay in the play offs this time round.:

2018/19 P26  W12  D07  L07  F38  A32  GD06   PTS 43  POS 06  FINAL POS ??

2017/18 P26  W14  D07  L05  F41  A23  GD18   PTS 49  POS 02  FINAL POS 06

2016/17 P26  W11  D07  L08  F24  A19  GD05   PTS 40  POS 07  FINAL POS 09

2015/16 P26  W13  D10  L03  F38  A18  GD20   PTS 49  POS 03  FINAL POS 05

2014/15 P26  W14  D06  L06  F48  A25  GD23   PTS 48  POS 03  FINAL POS 08

2013/14 P26  W14  D05  L07  F50  A34  GD16   PTS 47  POS 04  FINAL POS 03

2012/13 P26  W10  D07  L09  F40  A38  GD02   PTS 37  POS 10  FINAL POS 10

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But we’ve let in less goals than we did in our best and most exciting season, just not scored as many as in that season. I’m all for the ‘we’re gonna score one more than you’ attitude. 

Also, a point I was thinking about and might as well put it here as anywhere. Once we’ve played Leeds, we’ll have played all the top 6 twice, besides one more game against West Brom. We’ve had a couple of freakishly difficult runs, but at least it means we’ve got all those games out of the way. And we’ve not done badly. 4 pts off Norwich, 3pts so far off West Brom, 3pts off Sheffield United, 2pts off Middlesbrough. So I’m personally counting Leeds as a bit of a free hit, cos our record against the top 6 will have been pretty good regardless of that result (as long as were not battered like last time, and play to win, not like when we played wolves last year).

So, providing we can get our act together in the ‘more winnable’ games, and the teams below us, then there’s every reason to believe we’ll end up in a higher position than we are now. 

We’ve definately got a weaker defence as a team than we have done in recent years, not nesserecrily the defence as individuals, but the whole team doesn’t seem clocked on enough at the back, particulary in terms of stopping crosses. Looking at that you’d say we’re pretty lucky to be where we are, haven’t really been scoring enough goals and putting teams to be bed, but been on the back of a few hammerings. We need to be much better in the second half of the season compared to recent years if we’re going to have any success given we haven’t had consistent form so far- though it must be said we also haven’t had a long run of poor results, so perhaps that bodes well for avoiding a February collapse, if we can start playing better from now on.

40 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We’ve definately got a weaker defence as a team than we have done in recent years, not nesserecrily the defence as individuals, but the whole team doesn’t seem clocked on enough at the back, particulary in terms of stopping crosses. Looking at that you’d say we’re pretty lucky to be where we are, haven’t really been scoring enough goals and putting teams to be bed, but been on the back of a few hammerings. We need to be much better in the second half of the season compared to recent years if we’re going to have any success given we haven’t had consistent form so far- though it must be said we also haven’t had a long run of poor results, so perhaps that bodes well for avoiding a February collapse, if we can start playing better from now on.

I make it we're only at -1 on my "hammer-o-meter"

Hammered by........Leeds, Villa 

Have hammered.......West Brom 

I think of a hammering as a loss by 3 or more goals. I wouldn't therefore call Sheffield United a hammering. 

I agree we seem not as efficient at turning dominance in terms of possession and attempts at goal into actual goals and wins tho.....?

38 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We seem very reliant on wilson and marriott for goals.

we could do with the other strikers making a consistent contribution.

Look at past seasons and you're unlikely to find more than 2 players scoring more than 10, then 2/3 in the 7-9 range. We're on course to match that.

4 hours ago, admira said:

Main difference to recent years seems to be the number of goals we have already shipped this season. Also every year since 2013/14, we have ended the season lower in the table than we were at the start of January so that needs to change if we are to stay in the play offs this time round.:

2018/19 P26  W12  D07  L07  F38  A32  GD06   PTS 43  POS 06  FINAL POS ??

2017/18 P26  W14  D07  L05  F41  A23  GD18   PTS 49  POS 02  FINAL POS 06

2016/17 P26  W11  D07  L08  F24  A19  GD05   PTS 40  POS 07  FINAL POS 09

2015/16 P26  W13  D10  L03  F38  A18  GD20   PTS 49  POS 03  FINAL POS 05

2014/15 P26  W14  D06  L06  F48  A25  GD23   PTS 48  POS 03  FINAL POS 08

2013/14 P26  W14  D05  L07  F50  A34  GD16   PTS 47  POS 04  FINAL POS 03

2012/13 P26  W10  D07  L09  F40  A38  GD02   PTS 37  POS 10  FINAL POS 10

It doesn't look too promising. However our remaining fixtures aren't bad with 8 against top half teams and 12 against teams in the bottom half. In addition no team is dominating at present and no team is averaging 2 points per game. It is therefore quite open.

8 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

It doesn't look too promising. However our remaining fixtures aren't bad with 8 against top half teams and 12 against teams in the bottom half. In addition no team is dominating at present and no team is averaging 2 points per game. It is therefore quite open.

In theory, we are indeed well placed. 

However, I tend to think our results are driven more by opposition style rather than league position. You might think that the 2 would be strongly correlated but if you look at the table we have lost to a number of low placed teams.....Bolton, Rotherham, millwall.....Stoke.......?

All these seem to find an approach that nullifies us easily and delivers us up to poo-housery at which point we fail.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Look at past seasons and you're unlikely to find more than 2 players scoring more than 10, then 2/3 in the 7-9 range. We're on course to match that.

I'm just looking at goals scored since 3/11

Excluding the norwich mad game....Pld 10 games, scored 12, conceded 13

wilson 7. 

marriott 3

bennett 1

wagnorn 1 

thats not enough goals, and not enough goal scorers.

We are going to have to pray that wilson doesn't get injured. (Any news on that hip injury by the way?)

thats why i think frank is right to still look at the striking position options. 

13 minutes ago, NoLoRam said:

"Excluding the game where we scored 4 goals because it doesn't help my point"

Looking at trends, the norwich game is a bit of a one off. 

Overall we seem to a be a bit limited in terms of goal scorers,

but if you want to add it in pld 11 scored 16 still isn't enough.

28 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'm just looking at goals scored since 3/11

Excluding the norwich mad game....Pld 10 games, scored 12, conceded 13

wilson 7. 

marriott 3

bennett 1

wagnorn 1 

thats not enough goals, and not enough goal scorers.

We are going to have to pray that wilson doesn't get injured. (Any news on that hip injury by the way?)

thats why i think frank is right to still look at the striking position options. 

I assume you mean the Birmingham game onward.

Wilson 7

Marriott 4

Bennett 1

Waghorn 1

Tomori 1

Mount 1

Jozefzoon 1

Doesn't look too bad now you include all of the goals scored

I guess it’s impossible but i’d Love to see chances made but missed stats.

i think we are making chances but we are stubbing toes, hitting posts, slipping up and not generally getting the yield from our interesting forward play. Take out Wilson’s free kicks and it looks a bit like a gun with no bullets. Yet the ability is there I’m sure and the key is a stable midfield 

4 hours ago, HantsRam said:

In theory, we are indeed well placed. 

However, I tend to think our results are driven more by opposition style rather than league position. You might think that the 2 would be strongly correlated but if you look at the table we have lost to a number of low placed teams.....Bolton, Rotherham, millwall.....Stoke.......?

All these seem to find an approach that nullifies us easily and delivers us up to poo-housery at which point we fail.

Defeats against Bolton,  Rotherham  and Millwall were disappointing and could make the difference between a successful and unsuccessful season. However I can't see us losing to them at home.

37 minutes ago, jono said:

I guess it’s impossible but i’d Love to see chances made but missed stats.

i think we are making chances but we are stubbing toes, hitting posts, slipping up and not generally getting the yield from our interesting forward play. Take out Wilson’s free kicks and it looks a bit like a gun with no bullets. Yet the ability is there I’m sure and the key is a stable midfield 

https://experimental361.com/2018/12/11/scatter-graphics-championship-10-dec-2018/

Some proper interesting stats there. 

1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

Defeats against Bolton,  Rotherham  and Millwall were disappointing and could make the difference between a successful and unsuccessful season. However I can't see us losing to them at home.

Just like I thought there was no way we’d lose at home to Sunderland last season......but a better comparison is those times we’d lose to teams like millwall at home having been flying.

can never rule out any of those clubs changing manager and we cop for the fallout. That Spanish bloke at reading might have got their act together by the time we play them for example.....

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Just like I thought there was no way we’d lose at home to Sunderland last season......but a better comparison is those times we’d lose to teams like millwall at home having been flying.

can never rule out any of those clubs changing manager and we cop for the fallout. That Spanish bloke at reading might have got their act together by the time we play them for example.....

It doesn't look like it. Reading are starting to sink .Getting rid of Clement was a mistake. We really need to beat them and given that they aren't particularly physical I think we will.

So we're in the top 6 for the number of shots per game

and we are the worst of the those 6 in terms of conversion rate

In fact we are 14th in terms of strike efficiency.

Seems to support the point i made really. 

Archived