Walking in Derbyshire

dog

Every year around Easter I go walking with a couple of mates and stay for a couple of nights in a boozer. This year it's the turn of god's own county. Wonder if anyone has recommendations for pubs to stay in or particular walks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, dog said:

Every year around Easter I go walking with a couple of mates and stay for a couple of nights in a boozer. This year it's the turn of god's own county. Wonder if anyone has recommendations for pubs to stay in or particular walks

@sage

21 minutes ago, dog said:

I would stay in the rooster and Pullet at Sheldon, Monsal Head Hotel or Lion Hotel in Belper if you don't mind driving to the  start of the walk. PM me as I know loads of walks and have guide books etc 

1 hour ago, dog said:

I'd second the monsal head hotel.

3 hours ago, sage said:

I would stay in the rooster and Pullet at Sheldon, Monsal Head Hotel or Lion Hotel in Belper if you don't mind driving to the  start of the walk. PM me as I know loads of walks and have guide books etc 

C0ck and Pullet not rooster and pullet. Best walks are the 4 dales. Dovedale, Edale, Lathkil Dale and Monsal Dale. 

7 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'll be doing a similar trip with a mate in March & will be staying at Cressbrook Mill, in Monsal Dale, so will do that one.

I hope to also walk up Mam Tor and finish off in the excellent pubs in Castleton.

If you want to do a good long walk, start in Edale, go up Kinder then down his Jacob's Ladder, up onto Bleaklow Ridge and walk to Mam Tor, before dropping into Castleton.

Best done on a clear day as the views are amazing. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

@sage I'll be staying near Hope Valley for 4 days in early Feb. Would the Mam Tor and Ladybower walks be the better two to go on? Also, do you have any recommendations for a scenic location to propose?

Mam Tor or the Rock on top of Kinder are great places to propose. Or a nice little packhorse bridge just downstream from Conksbury Bridge in Lathkil Dale. Failing thatMonsal Head or the viaduct below. 

Kinder/Edale can be combined with Mam Tor and Bleaklow Ridge. Climb up the Clough from Edale up to Kinder  then down Jacobs Ladder and walk through the valley to Hollins Cross on Bleaklow Ridge and up to Mam Tor. Finish in Castleton. 9 mile walk with lots of ascent and descent. 

I don't know Ladybower so much. The Monsal Dale circle is a nice 5.5. mile one. Turn left from Monsal Head down to the river at the weir, follow he river up to the woods then zig zag up to the farm. Through the farm and turn right at Brushfield hamlet then right again over the hill to Litton Mill. Follow the river to Cressbrook Mill, then cross the weir and clim up to the railway line and the viaduct and up to the pub. Ashford in the Water is a pretty little village nearby and the Three Shires Heads in an insanely old fashioned pub 3 miles away. 

Good Luck

If you are going at Easter make sure you have some good water proofs and good boots. Some places will be very muddy at that time of year. I went up Mam Tor last year and there was snow up there and some places were just a big bog. The more popular the worse. The high peak trail is pretty safe and Cromford canal.

22 hours ago, sage said:

C0ck and Pullet not rooster and pullet. Best walks are the 4 dales. Dovedale, Edale, Lathkil Dale and Monsal Dale. 

Rooster and Pullet??? My uncle will be spinning in his grave.  His photo used to be on the bar. Don't know if it's still there.

9 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Rooster and Pullet??? My uncle will be spinning in his grave.  His photo used to be on the bar. Don't know if it's still there.

It’s not called the rooster, the swear filter has changed the original word as it can be used to insult members, if you pardon the pun.

Archived