George Thorne - Joined Luton Town on Loan

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

McGrath played for Derby in the mid 90's, fitness wasn't a key aspect of the game back then (More alcohol was probably consumed than water by the top pro's).

I'd say Thorne was as good as Mcgrath and had the potential to be an England player.

I can remember when there was talk of Barker nearing his return. I was absolutely buzzing and thought with him back in the team we'd be nailed on promoted. That was very naive of me. He was fit, yes. But his legs didn't work.

Agreed about Thorne's potential

I still think a quick brain, control and vision is a match for quick feet and running at times as a DM though - Huddlestone doesn't have quick reaction times but half the time he looks 3 moves ahead of other players

2 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Did I miss this? Don't remember it happening.

He battered the players post match (fairly) and dropped Fozzy, Johnson and Thorne - Fozzy and Johnson brought back in a few matches later - Thorne never gets another game

9 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I was hoping he would shine at Luton but he isnt going to get a chance by the look of it. Was hoping Frank would see what he could do and bring him back from the cold.

I am gutted, im sure there is a good footballer there, hope he gets a chance somewhere.

There was a proper premier league class midfielder there as far as I'm concerned.  Unfortunately his body doesn't seem to be up to the demands of professional football. And successive injuries can damage a player permanently. It's a shame, he was a lovely footballer to watch and I don't think he'll ever have the career now that his talent deserved. 

4 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

McGrath played for Derby in the mid 90's, fitness wasn't a key aspect of the game back then (More alcohol was probably consumed than water by the top pro's).

I'd say Thorne was as good as Mcgrath and had the potential to be an England player.

I can remember when there was talk of Barker nearing his return. I was absolutely buzzing and thought with him back in the team we'd be nailed on promoted. That was very naive of me. He was fit, yes. But his legs didn't work.

Thorne was never in the same league as McGrath. What a centre half! Even though he only played for Derby for 3/4 of a season he is still one of the best centre halves I've seen in my 30 years of watching Derby. 

Gutted for Thorne, fantastic whilst on loan. Pretty good when played under Clement/Wassall but he's never recaptured that form in 13/14 and never will. I think we need to move on unfortunately. 

6 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

It helped that McGrath was a centre-half where knowledge, reading of the game, and positioning are more important than mobility. Thorne certainly had (has?) potential but in the games he played for us was not close to McGrath. And that is by no means an insult. 

I don't expect to see him in a first team shirt at Derby again I'm afraid. 

I sincerely hope I am wrong though.

Well he has not really played best part of 2 years and to get fitness back takes time if he can get a full pre season in I think he will be part of this team next season.

Even with my complex pain srydrom I am only starting to get through this I am hoping get back training in my tetsudo I think like same for geouge thorn. Only thing that has kepted me going is derby.

The sad thing about this whole saga is that a player turns up and is an instant hit. Plays really good football and a great acquisition. The future looks bright.

We all take him to our hearts and he gets injured. A serious injury at that.

An injury that some do not come back from, some of those who do will not find the same form.

Get another injury of the same type and most will never come back let alone at the level they once were.

Poor George has had his injuries in abundance and is trying to deal with coming back. Expectations are high "George is back in training" all will be good.

He not only has to get his fitness back, he has to deal with the psychological pressures of expectation and no matter how he tries to put it out of his mind, another potential injury must have an affect on his mental state. He has to deal with all this.

He is not for what ever reasons figuring in our teams this year so sending him out on loan was probably a good decision, to build fitness, confidence away from the limelight and expectation of his adoring fans.

I now believe that Luton was probably not ideal due the the very fact they are winning constantly and in a great position. He is not getting that time to heal.

I think we all need to realise and manage our expectations and realise that George may never find that spark again at this level, however if he does then bring it on.

9 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

The sad thing about this whole saga is that a player turns up and is an instant hit. Plays really good football and a great acquisition. The future looks bright.

We all take him to our hearts and he gets injured. A serious injury at that.

An injury that some do not come back from, some of those who do will not find the same form.

Get another injury of the same type and most will never come back let alone at the level they once were.

Poor George has had his injuries in abundance and is trying to deal with coming back. Expectations are high "George is back in training" all will be good.

He not only has to get his fitness back, he has to deal with the psychological pressures of expectation and no matter how he tries to put it out of his mind, another potential injury must have an affect on his mental state. He has to deal with all this.

He is not for what ever reasons figuring in our teams this year so sending him out on loan was probably a good decision, to build fitness, confidence away from the limelight and expectation of his adoring fans.

I now believe that Luton was probably not ideal due the the very fact they are winning constantly and in a great position. He is not getting that time to heal.

I think we all need to realise and manage our expectations and realise that George may never find that spark again at this level, however if he does then bring it on.

Sad, but true ?

6 hours ago, angieram said:

On the bench. ?

3-0 up with 10 minutes to play and even then he doesn't get any game time.  No good for us, no real benefit to Luton him being there and definitely a waste of George's time in trying to rehabilitate himself.

Nothing seems to be going right for the guy.

19 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Such a reckless challenge. Seriously how hard did he hit George?

image.jpg

In defence of the challenge...... Thorne was about 6 yards out and in a goal scoring opportunity, anyone would be throwing themselves in the way, look at Keogh..... 

Just unfortunate he broke his leg because of it. If I remember correctly their was no hard feeling between the players and it was accidental, which can’t be said from reaction of some of the fans at the time, but that’s to be expected obviously. 

Sith Happens
4 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

In defence of the challenge...... Thorne was about 6 yards out and in a goal scoring opportunity, anyone would be throwing themselves in the way, look at Keogh..... 

Just unfortunate he broke his leg because of it. If I remember correctly their was no hard feeling between the players and it was accidental, which can’t be said from reaction of some of the fans at the time, but that’s to be expected obviously. 

I think thats the case with most tackles, unless you are Roy Keane of course.

It was reckless still, but I do get your point. Dunno how it wasnt a red though or a penalty, but then again i recall feeling so sick for George the result didnt matter, i cant imagine i could have cheered a goal from a penalty.

I felt worse than when Barker got injured, but thats maybe because it was right in front of me and Barker was the other end of the pitch. Time seemed to stand still while they were treating George on the pitch.

Archived