Sign in to follow this  
cheron85

New Contracts

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

Releasing them makes no difference to FFP as their values will have already been written down each year and will be zero by the end of their contracts. If we retain them and pay out any fees in doing so, it makes FFP proportionately worse. If we sold any of them during this window, the price we get helps FFP.

See video on the link in previous post. 

Edited by rynny

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, rynny said:

From what Mel was saying at forum the players value is registered and they are then set. He used an example of a player signing, valued at £10m, suffers an injury, never recovers properly and never rediscovers their form that made them a £10m player, leaves at the end of their contract for free, the club lose £10m towards FFP. He said how can that be fair? 

@BurtonRam7 as I said, it is going to be an interesting year of how they balance it. Maybe offer players a contract on less wages, no idea how we are going to do it. 

That's £10m spread out over their contract, eg 5 year contract is -£2m per year.

We changed from amortisation to residual values a couple of years ago, but my understanding is that in both cases the value is zero at the end of the contract, but in the former  write down is linear and in the latter the club can choose the write down, but it would  be stupid to let players go into their final year with massive residual values as it gives them a massive lever for contract negotiations.

Edited by CornwallRam

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Anyone heard any rumours on the contract situations of the guys out of contract at the end of the season?

By my reckoning it should be:

Huddlestone (option to extend for a year)

Bryson

Johnson

Butterfield (seems to be off)

Ledley

Pearce

Nugent

Olsson

Roos

Huddlestone - Would extend for an extra year. Good calming influence to have off the bench if we need to control play against a good side. 

Bryson - Would potentially offer another year, maybe making him captain of the U23s when he's not in our first team squad to help younger players. 

Would replace Johnson with Bird in the first team reckoning. 

Butterfield won't be a loss as he hasn't been in the first team squad for the best part of a season and half. 

Ledley - replaced by Evans in my opinion. 

Pearce - Would be wise to offer a contract extension in an area we lack depth but he's handled himself with such professionalism that he probably deserves to be a first team regular for someone else. 

Nugent - Great to have around the dressing room but he ain't gonna be on peanuts and his ability to score important goals is seemingly leaving him. 

Olsson - replaced by Malone.

Roos - Cheap back up. Keep unless we can bring in a better back up keeper. 

Depending on how long Bryson wants to keep playing on for, I’d potentially sign him back up. One year and looking into becoming part of the coaching staff? Yeah that’s fine. If he thinks he wants to play 2-3 more years then he’ll be better heading somewhere he will get games, they’ll be interest in him in the champ still and most likely the spl too.

The rest, meh

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Depending on how long Bryson wants to keep playing on for, I’d potentially sign him back up. One year and looking into becoming part of the coaching staff? Yeah that’s fine. If he thinks he wants to play 2-3 more years then he’ll be better heading somewhere he will get games, they’ll be interest in him in the champ still and most likely the spl too.

The rest, meh

Bryso and Johnno on cheap deals would be good, need a bit more bite in midfield! 😄

Keep Roos....

Carson is irreplaceable but goalies get injured/norovirus/ suspended and we don’t want to rummage through a bargain basement at unexpectedly short notice.

Colin Boulton and David Harvey, even Shilts, had to exercise patience and grab the opportunity as and when!

If players ‘book’ values are written off if they are released & it effects FFP what happens with players coming through?

For example last season bogle was no where near the first team & unheard of. His value as an assest must have been pretty low. Now he’s played the first half of the season & is a regular. Whats his value now as a sellable assist compered to this time last season? Does it even effect FFP ? 

8 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

If players ‘book’ values are written off if they are released & it effects FFP what happens with players coming through?

For example last season bogle was no where near the first team & unheard of. His value as an assest must have been pretty low. Now he’s played the first half of the season & is a regular. Whats his value now as a sellable assist compered to this time last season? Does it even effect FFP ? 

Youth players / free transfers remain at zero throughout their stay at the club. 

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Youth players / free transfers remain at zero throughout their stay at the club. 

Correct, well virtually zero anyway, save for some nominal training/development costs and signing on fees etc.

The sale of Academy products is a massive help from an FFP point of view.

9 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Academy player does not hold FFP value other than the cost of their contract from everything around. So his wage is the only FFP consideration. 'assets' i.e. Players of any value to us won't help us with FFP if/when they are sold. Player could be worth £20 million but won't be worth a penny under ffp until he is sold. 

23 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Academy player does not hold FFP value other than the cost of their contract from everything around. So his wage is the only FFP consideration. 'assets' i.e. Players of any value to us won't help us with FFP if/when they are sold. Player could be worth £20 million but won't be worth a penny under ffp until he is sold. 

Not quite right that one. Their residual value will be their signing on cost, so eg signing on fee of £50k and agent's fee of £50k gives them an initial value of £100k. When they're sold the books gain the transfer fee received, less any costs involved minus their current residual value, so if a player was sold for £20m and the transfer costs were £2m (maybe agents) and their residual was £50k, we'd get £17.95m. Selling academy players for big fees is the very best thing you can do to improve an FFP situation.

2 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Releasing them makes no difference to FFP as their values will have already been written down each year and will be zero by the end of their contracts. If we retain them and pay out any fees in doing so, it makes FFP proportionately worse. If we sold any of them during this window, the price we get helps FFP.

No longer true I'm afraid.

Players residual values are re-assessed every year, not written down over the term of their contract.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Bryso and Johnno on cheap deals would be good, need a bit more bite in midfield! 😄

Ahh I see what you did there! 

To be honest I’d personally keep Johnno too...but again depends on what he wants for the rest of his career and whether we can offer him the gametime he wants 

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No longer true I'm afraid.

Players residual values are re-assessed every year, not written down over the term of their contract.

Indeed, but they still have to match contracts, so will be zero at the end of the contract.