New Contracts

cheron85

Anyone heard any rumours on the contract situations of the guys out of contract at the end of the season?

By my reckoning it should be:

Huddlestone (option to extend for a year)

Bryson

Johnson

Butterfield (seems to be off)

Ledley

Pearce

Nugent

Olsson

Roos

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cheron85 said:

Anyone heard any rumours on the contract situations of the guys out of contract at the end of the season?

Huddlestone (option to extend for a year)

Bryson

Johnson

Butterfield (seems to be off)

Ledley

Pearce

Nugent

Olsson

Roos

Barring Huddz I think they will all be released. 

2 minutes ago, Roboram said:

I say let them all go.

We've been bemoaning the size of the squad & wanting a big clear out for a couple of years now.

No better opportunity to do this than in the summer.

Its all well and good saying let them all go, but that's a huge chunk of the squad gone, and if we don't have funds to replace them with young hungry players then we are struggling. Remember its those listed above + Wilson, Mount and Tomori. That's a lot of players.

7 minutes ago, Roboram said:

I say let them all go.

We've been bemoaning the size of the squad & wanting a big clear out for a couple of years now.

No better opportunity to do this than in the summer.

If we release all of them it will be a big hit towards FFP. 

2 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Its all well and good saying let them all go, but that's a huge chunk of the squad gone, and if we don't have funds to replace them with young hungry players then we are struggling. Remember its those listed above + Wilson, Mount and Tomori. That's a lot of players.

I take your point. But surely letting them all go will free up funds to strengthen, especially with the amount of wages the likes of Johnson & Butterfield are on (allegedly).

Only around half the list (maximum) make the match day squad anyway. 

5 minutes ago, rynny said:

If we release all of them it will be a big hit towards FFP. 

I reckon Badly might get another year for that reason, think we'll have to take a hit on Butterfield though.

The others bar Nugent were free or low cost, so are more likely to go than not.

I'd keep Bryson and Hudds on 1 year extensions if possible, but I wouldn't offer the rest deals.

8 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I reckon Badly might get another year for that reason, think we'll have to take a hit on Butterfield though.

The others bar Nugent were free or low cost, so are more likely to go than not.

I'd keep Bryson and Hudds on 1 year extensions if possible, but I wouldn't offer the rest deals.

It is a tough one to balance, we need to get rid of players but we can't let them go for free because of FFP. This year is going to be an interesting one in both transfer windows. A lot of players are playing for their future, whether that be here or at another club. We have a few players with something to prove. 

3 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

In what way?

Edit: Just seen your subsequent reply. Not sure I agree as I can't really see where the value is in many of those players.

They have a book value so when they leave we "lose" that amount. So say Johnson's value is £5m if he leaves in the summer for nothing the club have "lost" £5m in assets, and it negatively affects FFP. 

Mel explained it better than me at the forum at the Showcase back in August, if it is still up to watch. 

52 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Huddlestone - 1 year extension

Bryson - poss 1 year on reduced wages, still have around the squad but not a star anymore

Johnson - release, not what he was or what we need going forward

Butterfield (seems to be off) - hopefully

Ledley - release, permacrock, old

Pearce - release, only going to ever be cover

Nugent - release, the dave factor is fading

Olsson - depends on his injury recovery, honestly not as bad as folk make out

Roos - never challenged carson, so let go.

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

They have a book value so when they leave we "lose" that amount. So say Johnson's value is £5m if he leaves in the summer for nothing the club have "lost" £5m in assets, and it negatively affects FFP. 

Mel explained it better than me at the forum at the Showcase back in August, if it is still up to watch. 

I thought the negative depreciation of assets would come in here? They won't have been listed as an asset of that value on every years books I don't think... So the loss would be the difference between the value on the books last year and this year?

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

Ah, I see what point you're making. I've heard it explained before (on the Not The Top 20 Podcast (about the Football League) I believe) but I thought it was just a different way of looking at whether player transfers are good value for money or not.

If it directly affects FFP then fair enough, although I'm still not sure about renewing Johnson's contract due to his wages.

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I thought the negative depreciation of assets would come in here? They won't have been listed as an asset of that value on every years books I don't think... So the loss would be the difference between the value on the books last year and this year?

11 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Ah, I see what point you're making. I've heard it explained before (on the Not The Top 20 Podcast (about the Football League) I believe) but I thought it was just a different way of looking at whether player transfers are good value for money or not.

If it directly affects FFP then fair enough, although I'm still not sure about renewing Johnson's contract due to his wages.

From what Mel was saying at forum the players value is registered and they are then set. He used an example of a player signing, valued at £10m, suffers an injury, never recovers properly and never rediscovers their form that made them a £10m player, leaves at the end of their contract for free, the club lose £10m towards FFP. He said how can that be fair? 

@BurtonRam7 as I said, it is going to be an interesting year of how they balance it. Maybe offer players a contract on less wages, no idea how we are going to do it. 

Archived