NFL 2019 Season

David

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Every single Head Coach in the league would argue their guy (if a franchise QB) isn't a system QB, though. You can't digest coach-speak and have it as fact. He could be right, of course, but the whispers are there for a reason and a career taking a huge up-turn when one of the best offensive minds of the current generation turns up is no coincidence.

But again, you don't care if he does win games. He's a QB McVay can win with, but I fully believe McVay is more important to the Rams than Goff is right now.

If you're talking pure talent, Wentz is a far better QB than Goff is.

I guess on that basis you can call Brady a system QB too.

I think it’s rash to say Wentz is fare more talented.

He had a lot more college ball than Goff and is 2 years older. He was far more NFL ready coming out and that is the reason so many people were on the fence as who would go 1 and who go 2.

The pundits over here were right down the middle. About the only thing that was a consensus was both were very good and way better than Mariota and Winston.

Goff has shown improvement in all his 3 seasons - so I think there is a reasonable assumption that the talent is there and finding its way out.

He did exactly the same in college.

Wentz will always look flashier than Goff as he’s more prone to take off - which is why he keeps getting injured - and he has a bigger arm.

However, Goff is better in the pocket and more accurate. So I guess it’s how you define talent.

Having said that, no matter how you measure it, I don’t think too many coaches or players would say Wentz is far more talented.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I guess on that basis you can call Brady a system QB too.

I think it’s rash to say Wentz is fare more talented.

He had a lot more college ball than Goff and is 2 years older. He was far more NFL ready coming out and that is the reason so many people were on the fence as who would go 1 and who go 2.

The pundits over here were right down the middle. About the only thing that was a consensus was both were very good and way better than Mariota and Winston.

Goff has shown improvement in all his 3 seasons - so I think there is a reasonable assumption that the talent is there and finding its way out.

He did exactly the same in college.

Wentz will always look flashier than Goff as he’s more prone to take off - which is why he keeps getting injured - and he has a bigger arm.

However, Goff is better in the pocket and more accurate. So I guess it’s how you define talent.

Having said that, no matter how you measure it, I don’t think too many coaches or players would say Wentz is far more talented.

Brady is a little bit like that, but not to the extreme. He's a cerebral player, but he lacks elite throw power, athleticism and all the rest of it - but he does have elite intangibles. Goff hasn't shown that at all - yet.

Wentz went to North Dakota... 2 years extra and a nothing college against kids that are now likely in office jobs. It's not saying much. The pundits were enamoured with the physical specimen and prototypical QB dimensions of Wentz, but all said he faced cupcake competition and it may not translate, therefore Goff was safer.

I don't think we'll agree here. I've read, watched and listened to too much which puts Wentz ahead of Goff in every category but durability.

12 minutes ago, Srg said:

Brady is a little bit like that, but not to the extreme. He's a cerebral player, but he lacks elite throw power, athleticism and all the rest of it - but he does have elite intangibles. Goff hasn't shown that at all - yet.

Wentz went to North Dakota... 2 years extra and a nothing college against kids that are now likely in office jobs. It's not saying much. The pundits were enamoured with the physical specimen and prototypical QB dimensions of Wentz, but all said he faced cupcake competition and it may not translate, therefore Goff was safer.

I don't think we'll agree here. I've read, watched and listened to too much which puts Wentz ahead of Goff in every category but durability.

If you didn't hear just about every single pundit say before the draft that he was more NFL ready, then you really didn't read that much.

After we traded for the first overall pick, I did nothing but devour this stuff.

The competition is certainly important, but playing against week opposition trumps not playing.

And Goff was the only player is Cal history to start week one as a freshmen. You don't do that without an insane amount of talent.

We probably won't agree. I can see the ability of Wentz and he's clearly a very good player, but Goff outperformed him last season and his season on season improvement is the most important facet imho.  It was the same at Cal.

Not that I put much store in that kind of thing, but even the players recognized that he was better last year having him ranked 60 or so places higher in the NFL top 100.

The four year mark is a good barometer, so we can pick this up in February after Goff has hoisted the Lombardi!

13 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

If you didn't hear just about every single pundit say before the draft that he was more NFL ready, then you really didn't read that much.

After we traded for the first overall pick, I did nothing but devour this stuff.

The competition is certainly important, but playing against week opposition trumps not playing.

And Goff was the only player is Cal history to start week one as a freshmen. You don't do that without an insane amount of talent.

We probably won't agree. I can see the ability of Wentz and he's clearly a very good player, but Goff outperformed him last season and his season on season improvement is the most important facet imho.  It was the same at Cal.

Not that I put much store in that kind of thing, but even the players recognized that he was better last year having him ranked 60 or so places higher in the NFL top 100.

The four year mark is a good barometer, so we can pick this up in February after Goff has hoisted the Lombardi!

Isn't that exactly what I said in saying he was safer? He was clearly more NFL ready due to the level of competition he had faced, but he didn't have the upside and risk Wentz had.

He did outperform him last season, but he also wasn't returning from an ACL injury. This season I would expect to see Wentz back to where he was prior to that injury.

And you can't use that - that list is literal farce. Chandler Jones wasn't on it all, Casey Heyward wasn't on it... Grady Jarrett, Chris Harris Jr. etc etc. It means nothing. It's a popularity contest at best.

And 4 years is a good barometer, you're right. Wentz has already lifted it, albeit with Foles taking the reigns through the play offs because of that aforementioned injury... but let's not pretend they weren't favourites before that injury and were playing better with him. I wouldn't have bet against him for sure - and I do remember a lot of critics writing them off when he did go down though.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Isn't that exactly what I said in saying he was safer? He was clearly more NFL ready due to the level of competition he had faced, but he didn't have the upside and risk Wentz had.

No, it was Wentz who was more ready.

Wentz played in a pro-style offense. Goff was in an air raid offense whose QB's always struggle to begin with in the pros.

Goff didn't take snaps under centre until he got to his first camp.

Only hours away from it all kicking off then. Just a shame it’s 2 crap teams starting us off ??

Will watch the extended highlights tomorrow with great interest obviously. I fancy Green Bay to pull a bit of an upset here. Which will mean people harping on about Rodgers taking them to the Superbowl....until we smash them at Lambeau Field in week 2 ?

40 minutes ago, David said:

Had an extended afternoon nap to stay up, don’t have any players but it’s the first game, need to see that Rodgers tash 

Sorry to break it to you but it's gone, they were disappointed about it on Pro-Football Talk the other night.

I’ll get in before tonight's first game;

AFC East - Patriots

AFC North - grrr Steelers

AFC South - Texans

AFC West - Chiefs

NFC East - Eagles

NFC North - Packers

NFC South - Saints

NFC West - Rams

Super Bowl - going Packers to ruffle a few feathers...

Let the games begin

I think I've been too kind to the mighty @SaintRam and I'll throw my real list into the fray to I can busk in the undoubted glory.

Bookmark this because you're going to need to bow down to me.

Or mock me.

Either is good.

AFC East - Patriots

AFC North - Browns

AFC South - Jags

AFC West - Chargers

NFC East - Eagles

NFC North - Vikings

NFC South - Saints

NFC West - Rams

NFC championship goes to the Rams after they beat the Saints on an outrageous PI call when Cooper Kupp trips up with no man in the same zip code and Todd Gurley hops 6 yards into the end zone or the ensuing play for the game winning TD.

Sean Payton spontaneously combusts and the locals make a very fine gumbo using his ashes and the local Voodoo top man puts a spell on the Rams that he insists will mean a Rams win for 7 months, maybe 8 is literally impossible. 

Saints fans emigrate to Cleveland en masse.

AFC championship goes to the Chargers.

After LA fall behind in the first quarter 21-3 at Foxboro, Rivers storms across the field, tackles Brady and as he's on the ground head butts him vicsiouly several times on the bridge of his nose as a fountain of blood and teeth spew into the air from the stricken Sir Thomas.

The fans give Rivers a round of applause for his incredible accuracy - never once missing Brady's nose and damaging a cheekbone or even breaking his jaw.

The refs call roughing the passer on Brady's nose for getting in the way of Phillips outstandingly accurate forehead and Tom is carried off the pitch as Giselle sobs tears of joy and mutters, 'I never liked that arrogant pos and he earned poo money '

The Chargers are just happy to be in the Super Bowl like the Rams last year and Rivers has to leave in his second quarter as his wife gives birth to their 27th child.

As he sprints for the exit he stops to tell the press, 'This is a unique experience for me and I doubt it will ever happen again....er...for at least 9 months. So, I just have to be there'.

The Rams romp to win 3-2 with Gurley rushing for 12 yards at 0.7 yards per carry (highest ever ypc from a man with one leg using a zimmer frame in playoff history) and after Greg the Leg hits a 97 yard field goal with time expiring and they fail to notice the ball is attached to a wire leading straight to Stan Kroenke's executive box.

The US suicide rate spikes to an all-time high and Roger Goodell is found scucking his thumb and sobbing in the corner of an TGIF's gently rocking back and forth muttering incoherently 'Nickell Robey-Coleman started this. Nickell Robey-Coleman started this. Nickell Robey-Coleman started this'

Archived