NFL 2019 Season

David

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, David said:

Could be worse, could be printed on bog roll and available from Argos jewellery department ?

(It’s also a bit racist ahem)

I for one appreciate your jumping ship of the Falcons and moving to a team who's logo is unequivocally worse than the timeless fleur de lis. Thoughtful of you.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

I for one appreciate your jumping ship of the Falcons and moving to a team who's logo is unequivocally worse than the timeless fleur de lis. Thoughtful of you.

I’m not going to sit here and defend the Steelers logo, but come on, at least it’s never been stamped on slaves that tried and failed to escape!

3 minutes ago, David said:

I’m not going to sit here and defend the Steelers logo, but come on, at least it’s never been stamped on slaves that tried and failed to escape!

Of course, as it's the symbol of the French monarchy and Louisiana was part of the French republic in North America. Criminals (which is what fleeing slaves were at the time) were also branded with the fleur-de-lis in France. Doesn't make the symbol racist. It existed before it's abhorrent racist use and will continue to exist long after it.

I think it has quite the opposite effect now that so much of the very large black population in Louisiana, especially New Orleans, sees the symbol as one of unification and inspiration. I think that's wonderful myself.

10 minutes ago, David said:

Ask Le'Veon Bell that after last season.

Just now, SaintRam said:

Of course, as it's the symbol of the French monarchy and Louisiana was part of the French republic in North America. Criminals (which is what fleeing slaves were at the time) were also branded with the fleur-de-lis in France. Doesn't make the symbol racist. It existed before it's abhorrent racist use and will continue to exist long after it.

I think it has quite the opposite effect now that so much of the very large black population in Louisiana, especially New Orleans, sees the symbol as one of unification and inspiration. I think that's wonderful myself.

Don’t think it’s universally liked though, even if you think it’s wonderful ?

Just now, David said:

Don’t think it’s universally liked though, even if you think it’s wonderful ?

I didn't say it was universally liked. 

What I said I thought was wonderful was how the meaning of the symbol had changed for so many black people in that area. Which based on my personal observation is true. I stayed almost exclusively in black households while I was visiting New Orleans and they all had different forms of fleur de lis hung on their walls in almost every room. To them, it's their symbol. 

Bit like the Swastika, just this one has been stolen for the good

Teams with Native American names and logos have been the subject of public scrutiny as early as the 1960’s. In more recent years, the scrutiny and public push for change have come in waves- intensifying then fading from our collective conscience without much changing. Last year, however, the Cleveland Indians finally retired their offensive “Chief Wahoo” logo.

But there is one logo in sports that somehow eludes any criticism despite having a history deeply rooted in racism. The New Orleans Saints logo, the fleur-de-lis, is a symbol of slavery around the world and should be removed from their uniforms.

https://centralrecorder.org/62445/opinion/the-saints-need-to-change-their-logo/

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The opinion of a rich white man doesn't really do anything to change my outlook based on my experiences with black people from Louisiana - to whom it is most relevant. 

What about the embossed toilet paper? 

Just now, David said:

What about the embossed toilet paper? 

lmao what about it?

Pretty sure I could find toilet paper embossed with the Derby ram somewhere in Derby ? 

3 minutes ago, David said:

There’s your assignment for the day, no photoshops! ?

I was thinking physical shops, not the sort that'd have websites. But I will look over the weekend ? 

Nah - Saints have no first round pick ? 

Will be looking to see where Devin White ends up though, he'll be one of the top picks. Was real fun watching him play for LSU these past few years. He's gonna be a monster in the NFL.

Not for me, will catch up on the best bits through the day.

Shame it's not anywhere decent this year, the trolling in Philly in 2017 was immense. Drew Pearson's draft pick was class, probably the best one I've ever seen (From a DC point of view anyway, the Eagles one last year at our place was pretty funny too tbf). 

Draft day. It’s no secret the Vikings need a lineman or two. But unless we can trade up I think the real top calibre ones will have gone and there’d be a standard of player you could get in round 2 left.

TE is another position we need to look at, and TJ Hockenson would be great...but it seems like the Packers are likely to go for him, so I expect us to go for a defensive player, where this draft is stacked with talent...just as long as it’s not a corner back, I’m fine with that.

Archived