NFL 2019 Season

David

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

Free agency looks interesting this year too, not the best if you need help on offense but actually loads of edge rushers that are going to get paid.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011078/article/top-25-nfl-free-agents-of-2019-defenders-dominate-rankings

I was looking at a top 50 list earlier. Lots of defenders up for grabs as you say. Sheldon Richardson & Anthony Barr look almost certain to move on from the Vikings, it will cost us to much to keep them, and could free up some room for us to get someone for our o line...or Larry Fitzgerald. The will Larry come and finish his carry for his boyhood team have started alread. It would be nice, but I don’t know how realistic it is.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, David said:

Saw that last night, as well as his own tweets, not sure about #CallGod, should get on the phone and call Tomlin and Rooney and find a new team quickly. 

Always said the Steelers were entertaining, never a dull moment. It’s the perfect blend of sport with soap opera, the Derby County of American Football and I feel so at home with it all.

TBF though this season has been the antithesis of the Steelers. This has been more live the Browns!

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

I was looking at a top 50 list earlier. Lots of defenders up for grabs as you say. Sheldon Richardson & Anthony Barr look almost certain to move on from the Vikings, it will cost us to much to keep them, and could free up some room for us to get someone for our o line...or Larry Fitzgerald. The will Larry come and finish his carry for his boyhood team have started alread. It would be nice, but I don’t know how realistic it is.

Larry went to school with my dad, time to put emotion to one side and move on!

14 hours ago, David said:

Love to see a move to 49ers blocked after all the paintings and photoshops, tell him he’s free to leave and go anywhere but Sam Francisco.

If he wants to behave like a child, give him a taste of his own medicine.

Problem is 49ers have that number 2 draft pick which could be very valuable.

There is literally no chance in hell you're getting a number 2 draft pick for a 31 year old WR on his salary.

If Steelers get a 1st round pick, it'll be next years. More likely they get two picks that aren't first though. This year 2nd and next year 2nd, or a 2nd+3rd; Something like that. 

5 hours ago, SaintRam said:

If Steelers get a 1st round pick, it'll be next years. More likely they get two picks that aren't first though. This year 2nd and next year 2nd, or a 2nd+3rd; Something like that. 

I love the draft concept now I understand it. I’d love Football to go down that route, but it will never happen worldwide - certainly in Europe. MLS tries it’s best, but just makes it harder. They have so many different types of contracts and places on the roster. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I love the draft concept now I understand it. I’d love Football to go down that route, but it will never happen worldwide - certainly in Europe. MLS tries it’s best, but just makes it harder. They have so many different types of contracts and places on the roster. 

The problem with football here is that young players from the age of 12 aren't playing their sport at teams disassociated with the professional league. 

Every club has academy levels going all the way down, and even many semi-pro and amateur teams support kid's teams under the same name.

So there's no stage in a player's development for a draft to happen.

IMO, the lack of academies and such in the US is really holding back their development as a competition, in terms of the overall quality. The pool of players for the professional teams to recruit from is tiny by comparison, and also there's basically no way back into the league really for a player who's not good enough for the MLS at a young age, no level for him to drop down to unless he goes to some really poo league in another country.

They have recently introduced teams one level down I think, which is a start, but not enough for the population of people who play "soccer" they have.

Take Jack Marriott, for example. If you imagine the Championship is the MLS. At 21 years of age he was deemed not good enough for the Championship and released - dropped 2 levels, and how now worked his way back up. If he was American youth working into the MLS, he might be working in a shop by now.

I really really like the draft. I like the MLB draft. I like the NBA draft. But it wouldn't work in football, unless you did special one-off tournaments with a draft picking from the X best players from that year.

That'd be cool.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The problem with football here is that young players from the age of 12 aren't playing their sport at teams disassociated with the professional league. 

Every club has academy levels going all the way down, and even many semi-pro and amateur teams support kid's teams under the same name.

So there's no stage in a player's development for a draft to happen.

IMO, the lack of academies and such in the US is really holding back their development as a competition, in terms of the overall quality. The pool of players for the professional teams to recruit from is tiny by comparison, and also there's basically no way back into the league really for a player who's not good enough for the MLS at a young age, no level for him to drop down to unless he goes to some really poo league in another country.

They have recently introduced teams one level down I think, which is a start, but not enough for the population of people who play "soccer" they have.

Take Jack Marriott, for example. If you imagine the Championship is the MLS. At 21 years of age he was deemed not good enough for the Championship and released - dropped 2 levels, and how now worked his way back up. If he was American youth working into the MLS, he might be working in a shop by now.

I really really like the draft. I like the MLB draft. I like the NBA draft. But it wouldn't work in football, unless you did special one-off tournaments with a draft picking from the X best players from that year.

That'd be cool.

I know a lot of academies do it in their own way, but the route through college means that they have to graduate with a form of degree before entering the NFL. I know a lot of players will never pick up whatever subject they took, but those that are borderline won't completely be left stranded. The amount of players through the academy that don't make it is significant, plus you can only imagine the state of some that were at one point highly rated to fall off the grid completely. I know some NFL players have had some high profile issues, but at least most are educated.

If you're good enough in football, you're usually a first team player by 18 which can be a very tough age for those with money, especially if you get injured around the same point. The NFL is not too dissimilar though, you effectively become a millionaire overnight. It takes a strong personality to cope with that, especially if you're from a poor background & even if you're not. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I know a lot of academies do it in their own way, but the route through college means that they have to graduate with a form of degree before entering the NFL. I know a lot of players will never pick up whatever subject they took, but those that are borderline won't completely be left stranded. The amount of players through the academy that don't make it is significant, plus you can only imagine the state of some that were at one point highly rated to fall off the grid completely. I know some NFL players have had some high profile issues, but at least most are educated.

If you're good enough in football, you're usually a first team player by 18 which can be a very tough age for those with money, especially if you get injured around the same point. The NFL is not too dissimilar though, you effectively become a millionaire overnight. It takes a strong personality to cope with that, especially if you're from a poor background & even if you're not. 

Unfortunately, a lot of scholars don't get put on anything meaningful, they get put on stuff you barely have to attend to pass. A player having a degree in something viable in the real world is often a story in itself.

There have even been investigations (I think the last one to make the news was a couple years back) that exposed some colleges putting their scholars in entirely fake classes so they can train more.

And even if you do study something meaningful, most struggle to find the time with how much football they have to play. There was an interview with Josh Rosen on the subject a year or so ago: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/11/ucla-star-josh-rosen-exposes-an-ugly-truth-about-ncaa-football.html

On 17/01/2019 at 20:07, jimbo jones said:

If you ever say that again, I will have no choice but to find you and kick your ass.

1 hour ago, Leicester Ram said:

If you ever say that again, I will have no choice but to find you and kick your ass.

Minnesotans have been dreaming of Larry coming home for years. I doubt it will happen, he seems happy enough to stay in Arizona for his whole career, and we have much bigger priorities to worry about.

I've a friend who's a season ticket holder, so ima try and nab one of his seats for Panthers v Buccs. Divisional game in our division. Should be a decent contest.

Archived