NFL 2019 Season

David

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not entirely sure what the answer is for this

Link it to time played on the field, job done. Mahomes has another 2 years remaining doesn't he? Which is daft when he's clearly the starting QB. Play 80% of a season and you have to get pushed on to a big boy contract.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, David said:

Link it to time played on the field, job done. Mahomes has another 2 years remaining doesn't he? Which is daft when he's clearly the starting QB. Play 80% of a season and you have to get pushed on to a big boy contract.

3 technically, because anyone who gets picked in round 1 has an option of a year extension after year 4 - often the reason teams trade back into the first round to select a player, like we did with Jackson, because that extra year is so valuable from a contract stand point.

It's tricky with Rookie contracts cos its not that uncommon for a rookie, especially a QB, to be great for a year or two and then completely fall off a cliff.

I guess pay-as-you-play wouldn't have risk in that regard, but if they were the backup and the team was forced to play them due to an injury to the starting QB, would they suddenly get starting QB money despite maybe not being good enough? There are challenges.

The real solution is for teams to stop overvaluing and/or agreeing to crazy terms demanded by mediocre (and worse) QBs. Then it wouldn't be SUCH an advantage to have a good QB on a rookie salary.

35 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Rookie contracts are the most important type of contract. Having pro-bowl level players on tiny (relative to the rest of the league) salaries is absolutely necessary to compete.

We've drafted incredibly well of late (primarily, 2 and 3 years ago), and we managed to get them all on to pretty long term contracts; but when Alvin Kamara, Michael Thomas, Marshon Lattimore, Ryan Ramczyk and Sheldon Rankins (who are all comfortably among our top 10 players) come out of their rookie contracts - either Drew Brees won't be with us and we'll draft a rookie QB, or this team is going to be torn apart.

All 5 of those players will be looking to be among the best paid players at their position in the NFL.

Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara were 2nd and 3rd round drafts respectively as well, which means right now they're on barely any money. Going to be a huge hit paying those guys.

Thomas is getting $1.1m a year, and Kamara is on about $900k a year.

Drafting has been a bit of a disaster for the Vikings the last 3 years. You take Thomas in round 2 after we take Laquon Treadwell in round 1 ?‍♂️ Going in early on Daniel Carlson because we want a quality kicker and then waivering him after 3/4 games ?‍♂️ After settling in at the Raiders he doesn’t miss now.

and when we do get a good one, they get injured after and handful of games....Dalvin Cook & Mike Hughes.

we really need a change of fortunes in the draft this year.

7 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Drafting has been a bit of a disaster for the Vikings the last 3 years. You take Thomas in round 2 after we take Laquon Treadwell in round 1 ?‍♂️ Going in early on Daniel Carlson because we want a quality kicker and then waivering him after 3/4 games ?‍♂️ After settling in at the Raiders he doesn’t miss now.

and when we do get a good one, they get injured after and handful of games....Dalvin Cook & Mike Hughes.

we really need a change of fortunes in the draft this year.

Cutting Daniel Carson wasn't bad luck, that was a properly stupid decision.

The rest were unlucky though, granted.

Also, Michael Thomas's hands would be useful anywhere but not every system is as perfect for a big, average paced, physical receiver. Sean Payton's always had one. Used to be Marques Colston, Thomas was his replacement. I doubt he looks as elite in some systems.

I do hope your fortunes improve though. Good drafts are a big portion of the enjoyment of football ? as long as it doesn't come at the Saint's cost.

12 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

It's tricky with Rookie contracts cos its not that uncommon for a rookie, especially a QB, to be great for a year or two and then completely fall off a cliff.

I guess pay-as-you-play wouldn't have risk in that regard, but if they were the backup and the team was forced to play them due to an injury to the starting QB, would they suddenly get starting QB money despite maybe not being good enough? There are challenges.

The real solution is for teams to stop overvaluing and/or agreeing to crazy terms demanded by mediocre (and worse) QBs. Then it wouldn't be SUCH an advantage to have a good QB on a rookie salary.

Can't do a pay-as-you-play because the team needs to be either under/over the salary cap by the time the final 53 man roster is set - so you can't have a player you don't know how much you're going to pay for the upcoming season, it just wouldn't work at all.

Just now, Srg said:

Can't do a pay-as-you-play because the team needs to be either under/over the salary cap by the time the final 53 man roster is set - so you can't have a player you don't know how much you're going to pay for the upcoming season, it just wouldn't work at all.

Oh yeah no I wasn't implying there was any hope for it, but I assumed in a world where it existed there would be changes to how the cap worked too. It would only work in a world where everyone of the same position got paid the same amount , which would upset the elite players ? 

7 minutes ago, David said:

25% salary increase on rookie contracts for the following season after completing 70% of the season.

That's that one sorted, what would you like me to fix next?

And then they fall off a cliff next season and get overpaid? 

Its not that bad right now. THe only players outperforming their rookie contracts are elite players. When they come out of their contracts they get PAID, if they maintained the level of performance until the end of their contracts.

Its only an issue at the QB position because mediocre non-rookie QBs get paid so much of late. Used to be, the best QBs were the best paid, but thats changed of late. But then the team that suffers is the team that's spent huge money on a "meh" QB, so its their own fault.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

And then they fall off a cliff next season and get overpaid? 

Be at the end of their contract and you can chuck them off with no dead cap space. Might be difficult for your New York teams finding a cliff, but I'm sure a skyscraper would have the same splat effect on impact.

51 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Cutting Daniel Carson wasn't bad luck, that was a properly stupid decision.

The rest were unlucky though, granted.

Also, Michael Thomas's hands would be useful anywhere but not every system is as perfect for a big, average paced, physical receiver. Sean Payton's always had one. Used to be Marques Colston, Thomas was his replacement. I doubt he looks as elite in some systems.

I do hope your fortunes improve though. Good drafts are a big portion of the enjoyment of football ? as long as it doesn't come at the Saint's cost.

100 % agree on Carlson, looked stupid at the time, looked even worse as he started well for Oakland....and now Dan Bailey will be a free agent with no certainty he will return. So what are we going to do now, draft another rookie and give him 3 games ?‍♂️

Laquan Treadwell is best described as a big, average paced physical receiver...except he has cement hands and couldn’t catch a cold. Apparently the Raiders are showing an interest in a trade, so he probably goes there and looks like Michael Thomas #2

4 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

100 % agree on Carlson, looked stupid at the time, looked even worse as he started well for Oakland....and now Dan Bailey will be a free agent with no certainty he will return. So what are we going to do now, draft another rookie and give him 3 games ?‍♂️

Laquan Treadwell is best described as a big, average paced physical receiver...except he has cement hands and couldn’t catch a cold. Apparently the Raiders are showing an interest in a trade, so he probably goes there and looks like Michael Thomas #2

Haha - maybe. Although if he can't catch Cousins throws I doubt he'll do better with Carr throws. But he was scouted as the #1 WR in that draft (which looks absurd now), so there must be some ability in there.

46 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Haha - maybe. Although if he can't catch Cousins throws I doubt he'll do better with Carr throws. But he was scouted as the #1 WR in that draft (which looks absurd now), so there must be some ability in there.

He’s a useful blocker when your o line sucks ?

I guess you can see the attributes people saw, but he repeatedly dropped relatively easy catches, and the second half of this season he was anonymous. He was left out for the Bears game despite being fully fit, so I’m pretty certain his time in minnesota has finished.

Here’s one for you, one of the best WR’s in the league is available to trade, he turns 31 before the season starts, would demand the #1 WR, huge salary and the title of MVP. Not only that he’s a massive diva that you have roll out the red carpet as he enters the locker room, cuddle him, whisper how great he is and feed him grapes whilst the defence is on the field. 

Would you trade for him, accept his diva side or pass on it knowing he will be on the decline?

7 minutes ago, David said:

Here’s one for you, one of the best WR’s in the league is available to trade, he turns 31 before the season starts, would demand the #1 WR, huge salary and the title of MVP. Not only that he’s a massive diva that you have roll out the red carpet as he enters the locker room, cuddle him, whisper how great he is and feed him grapes whilst the defence is on the field. 

Would you trade for him, accept his diva side or pass on it knowing he will be on the decline?

If I was a team who was an offensive playmaker away from being very strong, I'd consider it. Like the Bears, but I don't know if they have the cap space.

On top of those types of teams, the more common destination for such a player are the teams who are just struggling in general, but aren't in full rebuild mode (an acquisition such as this would set a rebuild plan back). 

Teams like the Broncos, Jets, Dolphins, Titans.

If I was the GM/HC of any of those teams, I'd be considering it. 

1 hour ago, David said:

I'm hoping the 9ers use their 1st on him.

They had just 2 interceptions last season and their D is a trainwreck. You could erect 2 statues holding a bucket apiece in the secondary and get more than 2 interceptions.

31 is an iffy age for a WR and I'd definitely pass, unless as @SaintRamsaid that you think he can push you over the edge.

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Antonio Brown has now created a fake Twitter account to support him - http://dailysnark.com/fans-have-uncovered-what-appears-to-be-steelers-wr-antonio-browns-burner-account/ 

I honestly think the bloke may need genuine psychiatric help. He's going full Kanye.  

Saw that last night, as well as his own tweets, not sure about #CallGod, should get on the phone and call Tomlin and Rooney and find a new team quickly. 

Always said the Steelers were entertaining, never a dull moment. It’s the perfect blend of sport with soap opera, the Derby County of American Football and I feel so at home with it all.

Antonio Brown definitely hit by the Madden curse this year, really interesting if you want to have a look at it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/is-the-madden-cover-curse-still-a-thing-a-look-back-at-20-years-of-nfl-stars-offers-a-verdict/

Didnt make the play-offs, missed week 17 and looks like he’s getting traded after falling out with the entire organisation. I think that counts.

Think he’ll end up on the 49ers, they took Richard Sherman in under similar(ish) circumstances and it turned out well for them. Definitely got cap room to blow too.

Free agency looks interesting this year too, not the best if you need help on offense but actually loads of edge rushers that are going to get paid.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001011078/article/top-25-nfl-free-agents-of-2019-defenders-dominate-rankings

Love to see a move to 49ers blocked after all the paintings and photoshops, tell him he’s free to leave and go anywhere but Sam Francisco.

If he wants to behave like a child, give him a taste of his own medicine.

Problem is 49ers have that number 2 draft pick which could be very valuable.

Archived