NFL 2019 Season

David

4 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Saw that picture ? the way the Bell thing is still rumbling on, you don’t expect the Brown situation to be resolved quickly either.

Apparently we can stick a transition tag on him where we get the first chance to match an offer he gets elsewhere, but that can get a bit messy.......worrying thing is that's what they are expected to do. [Eastenders duff duff duff]

With James Conner and Jaylen Samuels looking pretty handy, not sure why we would open that can of worms again, just move on even if it does weaken us, sort the locker room out and rid the egos.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, David said:

Apparently we can stick a transition tag on him where we get the first chance to match an offer he gets elsewhere, but that can get a bit messy.......worrying thing is that's what they are expected to do. [Eastenders duff duff duff]

With James Conner and Jaylen Samuels looking pretty handy, not sure why we would open that can of worms again, just move on even if it does weaken us, sort the locker room out and rid the egos.

believe putting the transition tag on him would actually make him trade-able. So doing that might provide the Steelers an opportunity to get some picks, but only if a team is very confident they can pay Bell what he wants - otherwise no-one will take the risk.

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

believe putting the transition tag on him would actually make him trade-able. So doing that might provide the Steelers an opportunity to get some picks, but only if a team is very confident they can pay Bell what he wants - otherwise no-one will take the risk.

To be honest I don't get any of it, I've only just mastered the rules of the games, well I thought I had but the officials seem to make it up as they go along. 

All these tags and caps will come in time when I can't spend a year to sit down and wrap my head round it all. 

10 minutes ago, David said:

To be honest I don't get any of it, I've only just mastered the rules of the games, well I thought I had but the officials seem to make it up as they go along. 

All these tags and caps will come in time when I can't spend a year to sit down and wrap my head round it all. 

If they didn't add/change rules literally every year it would be easier to follow ? 

I'm expecting some of this year's rule changes to be dialed back. Especially the onside kick changes. The rules have made those the most pointless play in football.

51 minutes ago, David said:

This! ?

42 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

If they didn't add/change rules literally every year it would be easier to follow ? 

I'm expecting some of this year's rule changes to be dialed back. Especially the onside kick changes. The rules have made those the most pointless play in football.

Yeah, onside kicks were a brilliant watch, that we’re totally ruined this year. I get they’ve got to look at safety, but you can’t soften the game up to much.

11 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

This! ?

I think the Steelers should sign Mahomes. Now if I was to suggest that on any Steelers subreddit or forum I would get laughed out, no idea why, looks a decent quarterback to me. 

Cap rate this, contract that, draft pick what.....yeah yeah, I'll just wait and see who we sign and give any of these draft rogues coming into the team a chance.

50 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Yeah, onside kicks were a brilliant watch, that we’re totally ruined this year. I get they’ve got to look at safety, but you can’t soften the game up to much.

Im not sure I know of anyone getting badly hurt during an onside kick, either.

43 minutes ago, David said:

I think the Steelers should sign Mahomes. Now if I was to suggest that on any Steelers subreddit or forum I would get laughed out, no idea why, looks a decent quarterback to me. 

Cap rate this, contract that, draft pick what.....yeah yeah, I'll just wait and see who we sign and give any of these draft rogues coming into the team a chance.

Salary cap boggles my brains, was reading about the Brown situation, and even if he leaves Steelers are screwed because of the salary cap hit they take....even though he’s not there anymore ??‍♂️

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Im not sure I know of anyone getting badly hurt during an onside kick, either.

Exactly, I can see why they want to protect the QBs with the late hits, and after golden boy Rodgers was flattened by Anthony Barr last season (thus entering himself into Viking folklore ?) and got injured, they were bound to do something. 

But let’s have a proper onside kick.

6 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Salary cap boggles my brains, was reading about the Brown situation, and even if he leaves Steelers are screwed because of the salary cap hit they take....even though he’s not there anymore ??‍♂️

I also got an introduction to 'dead money' the other day when reading some random blog. The Cowboys have a decent chunk of cap free'd up this year because Romo's (YES TONY ROMO who retired in 2016 ?) cap hit is now paid off, it's mental. 9 million a year for a guy sat in a CBS commentary booth watching the game, makes sense.

2 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I also got an introduction to 'dead money' the other day when reading some random blog. The Cowboys have a decent chunk of cap free'd up this year because Romo's (YES TONY ROMO who retired in 2016 ?) cap hit is now paid off, it's mental. 9 million a year for a guy sat in a CBS commentary booth watching the game, makes sense.

9 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

It makes sense once you understand it.

Basically, some elements of a contract can be paid up front but are spread across the length of the contract for the purposes of cap space. Guaranteed money is one of those elements, for example.

If, say, you give a guy a 5 year contract with £10m guaranteed - you could pay that £10m up front, but it would count as £2m a season against your cap.
If you then cut that play after 3 years, then as far as the salary cap is concerned you still have 2 seasons of £2m payments to account for. That's the essence of dead money. If it just went away, then that would be £4m you spent without it being balanced against the spending of other teams. Keeps the salary cap system functional.

This is quite a detailed look at it:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1566775-nfl-free-agency-a-basic-expliantion-of-the-complex-concept-of-dead-money

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

It makes sense once you understand it.

Basically, some elements of a contract can be paid up front but are spread across the length of the contract for the purposes of cap space. Guaranteed money is one of those elements, for example.

If, say, you give a guy a 5 year contract with £10m guaranteed - you could pay that £10m up front, but it would count as £2m a season against your cap.
If you then cut that play after 3 years, then as far as the salary cap is concerned you still have 2 seasons of £2m payments to account for. That's the essence of dead money. If it just went away, then that would be £4m you spent without it being balanced against the spending of other teams. Keeps the salary cap system functional.

This is quite a detailed look at it:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1566775-nfl-free-agency-a-basic-expliantion-of-the-complex-concept-of-dead-money

Makes sense. But when you throw in other stuff it becomes a minefield once again. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/Breaking-down-cap-hit-Antonio-Brown-would-incur-in-Denver-127776550/

Weirdly enough, I was reading up on salary caps and dead cap yesterday. It's interesting. I also find it interesting that each franchise HAS to spend at least 89% of their cap. It's interesting to see how the first year of contracts can be a killer for teams, but after that creative accounting can protect teams massively. 

The players coming out of their 'rookie' contract are a massive issue for teams, now I didn't quite comprehend this before looking into it, but for an example:

Flacco will cost the Ravens $26.5m next year and if they were to cut him the dead cap is $16m. In comparison, Goff will cost the Rams $8.9m next year and Mahomes $4.5m. Cousins, who everyone knows is on massive money, will cost the Vikings $29m next year AND if they were to cut him $60m in dead cap! 

Good website here: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/

And people say the money in football over here is disgusting. These only play for half a year at most! 

I get they are more likely to be ripped apart with injuries but still 

Chris Boswell our kicker, just kicks the ball is on a contract which will payout $20m. 

If I have a kid I'll have it kicking a ball from the day we bring it home, practice practice practice, then fly out to the US and cash in.

13 minutes ago, David said:

And people say the money in football over here is disgusting. These only play for half a year at most! 

Chris Boswell our kicker, just kicks the ball is on a contract which will payout $20m. 

If I have a kid I'll have it kicking a ball from the day we bring it home, practice practice practice, then fly out to the US and cash in.

I've just seen on that website that Matt Stafford will be paid as the second highest earning player in the league next year, behind Brees.

What was Detroit thinking? $29.5m equates to £22.96m, so roughly the entire wage of a Birmingham City FC. Stafford is bang average, I would say that's being kind, too. 

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I've just seen on that website that Matt Stafford will be paid as the second highest earning player in the league next year, behind Brees.

What was Detroit thinking? $29.5m equates to £22.96m, so roughly the entire wage of a Birmingham City FC. Stafford is bang average, I would say that's being kind, too. 

Stafford is who us Vikings fans have been pointing to, when people go on about Cousins contract. Think it’s only a couple of million less. Rodgers isn’t worth his contract anymore either. We like over paying QBs in the nfc north ? expect Trubisky to get a monster pay day soon.

7 hours ago, David said:

At least there’s pressure and as we’ve seen this season a high chance of being cut.

i looked at our contracts the other day, Matt Wile our Punter, $555,000 a year....to kick the ball out of your hands a few times a game depending on how well your offence is performing. 

If only I knew, I could have done that ??

Rookie contracts are the most important type of contract. Having pro-bowl level players on tiny (relative to the rest of the league) salaries is absolutely necessary to compete.

We've drafted incredibly well of late (primarily, 2 and 3 years ago), and we managed to get them all on to pretty long term contracts; but when Alvin Kamara, Michael Thomas, Marshon Lattimore, Ryan Ramczyk and Sheldon Rankins (who are all comfortably among our top 10 players) come out of their rookie contracts - either Drew Brees won't be with us and we'll draft a rookie QB, or this team is going to be torn apart.

All 5 of those players will be looking to be among the best paid players at their position in the NFL.

Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara were 2nd and 3rd round drafts respectively as well, which means right now they're on barely any money. Going to be a huge hit paying those guys.

Thomas is getting $1.1m a year, and Kamara is on about $900k a year.

Simplifying Dead Money... if you extend a player because he is getting paid too much money this year, so you can change that money to later in the new contract, it will mean there will be a lot of dead money should you cut him early into that new deal. It's there to stop teams just keep re-writing contracts and kicking the can down the road, as it were.

I fully expect something to change in the next CBA with regards to rookie pay - at the moment, there's such a massive advantage having a quarterback on a rookie deal for the whole roster that it's becoming silly. It's all teams are searching for unless they have an unbelievable quarterback who's older. Look at recent contenders, they've all had the rookie QB deal... Wilson, Mahomes, Goff etc etc. Not entirely sure what the answer is for this, but they need to stop incentivising it so highly, or you'll end up with a lot of QBs not progressing to second and third deals.

Archived