NFL 2019 Season

Day

1 minute ago, David said:

You work full time, but can still see a horrible call when one has been made. 

I don’t buy it would make any difference if they could stick their feet up all day with Judge Judy on TV and flicking through reviews on the tablet. 

Giving them an excuse when one isn’t really needed.

I do agree it’s odd they are not full time given the money in the game, but just like the Premier League, horrible calls will still continue full time or not.

The point is they wouldn't be sat with their feet up watching TV. The whole point.

It would reduce the amount of mistakes made. Categorically. It would be immediately evident as well.

Premier League referees do still make horrible calls. But one that's discussion, newsworthy, headline worthy, every single game? No (not including VAR - which is creating news through how its used by the FA, not because of the ref on the field). There's maybe one every few weeks across the whole league. That's the difference between part time and full time.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SaintRam said:

The point is they wouldn't be sat with their feet up watching TV. The whole point.

It would reduce the amount of mistakes made. Categorically. It would be immediately evident as well.

Premier League referees do still make horrible calls. But one that's discussion, newsworthy, headline worthy, every single game? No (not including VAR - which is creating news through how its used by the FA, not because of the ref on the field). There's maybe one every few weeks across the whole league. That's the difference between part time and full time.

Every single game you will find fans livid with a call a full time Premier League referee has made, every game.

Pick any game this weekend and go to the clubs forums and you will see it.

NFL coverage is slightly different in what makes the news.

8 minutes ago, David said:

You work full time, but can still see a horrible call when one has been made. 

I don’t buy it would make any difference if they could stick their feet up all day with Judge Judy on TV and flicking through reviews on the tablet. 

Giving them an excuse when one isn’t really needed.

I do agree it’s odd they are not full time given the money in the game, but just like the Premier League, horrible calls will still continue full time or not.

But i'd equally not be very good at my own job if I didn't do it all day every day.

Not entirely comparable, but probably as good as anyone else has, but my job involves reviewing phone calls and scoring them. I make mistakes, I get challenges on my marking scores from the individuals on both judgment calls and things that are black and white. If I didn't do it for as long as I did and only dabbled at it for a few hours here and there, then you could 110% guarantee my success rate would be much much lower. That's just common sense.

So you're right in that there's many other issues here that are afoot, such as when challenges should be overturned, what should be able to challenged and even what yardage penalty some fouls should carry... however, let's at least start by giving us all the best chance at having a quality product, and that's by paying them accordingly and increasing the level of training.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Every single game you will find fans livid with a call a full time Premier League referee has made, every game.

Pick any game this weekend and go to the clubs forums and you will see it.

NFL coverage is slightly different in what makes the news.

I'm not talking about calls that a team's fans are angry about. That's literally every subjective call that goes against you.

I'm talking about calls where literally everyone, not just angry fans of the hurt team, say that it was an egregious, terrible call. Those happen in basically every game in the NFL right now. 

They are rare in the PL.

Just now, SaintRam said:

I'm not talking about calls that a team's fans are angry about. That's literally every subjective call that goes against you.

I'm talking about calls where literally everyone, not just angry fans of the hurt team, say that it was an egregious, terrible call. Those happen in basically every game in the NFL right now. 

They are rare in the PL.

In our football, the game moves much faster and with less stoppages too, far more room for grey areas even with less rules. If anything, it makes more sense for NFL to have full-time referees than it does for us to have them. However, it just makes sense that any professional league with multi-billions riding on it every single week, has professionals overseeing it. Just makes far too much sense.

Just now, Srg said:

But i'd equally not be very good at my own job if I didn't do it all day every day.

Not entirely comparable, but probably as good as anyone else has, but my job involves reviewing phone calls and scoring them. I make mistakes, I get challenges on my marking scores from the individuals on both judgment calls and things that are black and white. If I didn't do it for as long as I did and only dabbled at it for a few hours here and there, then you could 110% guarantee my success rate would be much much lower. That's just common sense.

So you're right in that there's many other issues here that are afoot, such as when challenges should be overturned, what should be able to challenged and even what yardage penalty some fouls should carry... however, let's at least start by giving us all the best chance at having a quality product, and that's by paying them accordingly and increasing the level of training.

Might help if they stopped messing around with the rules, allowed everyone time to be on the same page to help bring consistency across the board.

For me that’s one of the big problems, would argue the same over here with football. Bring a new rule in, some go with it, some are more soft and that’s what gets backs up.

If they could be consistent, even if you didn’t agree with the call as back in the day you could do xyz, at least the Ravens and Steelers are getting penalties for it. 

14 minutes ago, David said:

Thought about being a Saints fan? Think you would fit right in there

Saints fans don't have a problem with the Packers tbf 

It's these part-time bum officials we have a problem with ? and literally every other fanbase is jumping on the wagon with us this season... ? 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Might help if they stopped messing around with the rules, allowed everyone time to be on the same page to help bring consistency across the board.

For me that’s one of the big problems, would argue the same over here with football. Bring a new rule in, some go with it, some are more soft and that’s what gets backs up.

If they could be consistent, even if you didn’t agree with the call as back in the day you could do xyz, at least the Ravens and Steelers are getting penalties for it. 

Agree with that. I have no problem with reviewing the rules and making the odd tweak, but a load all at once never works well. Already talk that the OPI rule brought in the season will be scrapped next year.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Saints fans don't have a problem with the Packers tbf 

It's these part-time bum officials we have a problem with ? and literally every other fanbase is jumping on the wagon with us this season... ? 

The Packers best player are the zebras, is a long standing tradition for all 3 of the other nfc north teams. We are on board that they are just crap all round now though ?

10 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

The Packers best player are the zebras, is a long standing tradition for all 3 of the other nfc north teams. We are on board that they are just crap all round now though ?

Well I think even with the banterful rhetoric Aaron Rodgers would still come out on top ? 

My issue with it all is it just effects the legitimacy of the games ya know? 

I genuinely enjoyed the Saints-Buccs game less because of a few just awful calls that went against the Buccs. Improved my mood seeing how red Bruce Arians gets when he's angry but still. It just makes games less fun.

The whole they should be professional and working full time makes perfect sense to me. 

However, when the question gets asked every so often over here, the answer is that many of them are in super high paying jobs such as attorneys, business owners, accountants etc. 

As such you're not going to tempt them away for a few hundred grand. 

I say, fine, start recruiting ex-players (NFL minimum wage type guys), pay them well and start grooming them. 

Some of the refs need to have played at this level. The officiating last night was a joke. 

Not that it impacted the game because the Rams were already imploding, but Brian Allen made a block on (I think) Bosa on Sunday where he grabbed him at the front with both hands and snapped down hard. They hit him for holding. 

The commentator said something like 'that was textbook, that is exactly how you are taught to do that move'

An ex-player would know that yeh he held him for a moment but that's not what the holding penalty is there for. 

btw @SaintRam if I'd have offered to flip seasons after you lost to us, would you have taken it? 

14 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

btw @SaintRam if I'd have offered to flip seasons after you lost to us, would you have taken it? 

What do you mean?

Have your season but go to the SB with the Saints roster? Yeah I'd take that, we'd have won it ?

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Some of the refs need to have played at this level. The officiating last night was a joke. 

Not that it impacted the game because the Rams were already imploding, but Brian Allen made a block on (I think) Bosa on Sunday where he grabbed him at the front with both hands and snapped down hard. They hit him for holding. 

The commentator said something like 'that was textbook, that is exactly how you are taught to do that move'

An ex-player would know that yeh he held him for a moment but that's not what the holding penalty is there for. 

I remember that. Rams player was going mad and I don’t blame him.

Talib is out injured for an estimated 8 weeks, now we’ve traded Peters to Ravens.

I’m unsure how I feel about this, considering that he was targeted a lot and constantly gave up some large plays. He had it in him to do well though and it’s not like we’re stacked in that position. I wonder if we’re going to make a late move for Ramsey. 

we’ve traded for two players I’ve never heard of, so it’ll be interesting to see what we get out of them. 

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Talib is out injured for an estimated 8 weeks, now we’ve traded Peters to Ravens.

I’m unsure how I feel about this, considering that he was targeted a lot and constantly gave up some large plays. He had it in him to do well though and it’s not like we’re stacked in that position. I wonder if we’re going to make a late move for Ramsey. 

we’ve traded for two players I’ve never heard of, so it’ll be interesting to see what we get out of them. 

Ramsey is hella expensive, seems unlikely.

Patrick Peterson maybe?

18 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Peters was terrible last season when Talib was out.

He's flashy but gets burned a LOT.

Plus he's out of contract the end of this season so I'm not surprised they let him walk. And quite happy.

Having said that, I think we're done for this season, especially if we send Johnson on IR.

We've been super lucky avoiding injuries the last two years.

I'm also worried about Goff. The one thing I have liked about him is he never looks rattled.

Until Sunday that is. A couple of times you could tell he was hearing footsteps that weren't there.

Reminded me of Jim Everett and the phantom sack. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/0ap3000000904655/Jim-Everett-sacked-vs-49ers-in-NFC-Championship

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

The Rams have gone full... not sure what to call it! 

We've landed the best undisputed best corner in the game, but at what cost? The OL needed the bigger focus IMO. 

?

Archived