Sign in to follow this  
FindernRam

Public Health England

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Except chips. Chips need salt, everything else, I’m happy leaving the salt out. Like a bit of pepper though. Is that unhealthy?

Give them time.

Behavioural economics will tell you this is unlikely to work, if the idea is to reduce consumption.

Far more effective would be to subsidise /incentivise the right behaviours.

An example from my field is vitality health insurance. They worked out that to persuade people to exercise more and hence reduce their risk of I'll health (And claims costs to them), they would offer a subsidised iwatch. 

They claim it's working well for their business.

12 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Do you think it's right that a person who drinks a bottle of scotch a day should then have a liver transplant on the taxpayer or someone who eats junk food all day be given a gastric band operation for free?

No I don't, but putting limits on the behaviour of 60 million people because of a few misguided souls is not right.

9 hours ago, McRamFan said:

40% of the NHS budget is spent on the over 65's, which is 18% of the population...

It would probably be more than 40% if more younger people didnt smoke, eat, drink themselves into ill health.

That 40 % have paid taxes etc for 50 years nearly.

9 hours ago, FindernRam said:

No I don't, but putting limits on the behaviour of 60 million people because of a few misguided souls is not right.

Its not a few though when obesity related conditions cost the NHS over 5 billion a year.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

It would probably be more than 40% if more younger people didnt smoke, eat, drink themselves into ill health.

That 40 % have paid taxes etc for 50 years nearly.

I thought similar. Older people are always going to be the people most likely to need the nhs. If everyone was in the peak of health, and eating all their veggies, and driving at the speed limit, then the only people using the nhs would be older people. Even if there were only 6 older people in the entire country, they’d be the only people using it. So I don’t think it’s really a statistic you can use to beat older people with. As you say, it’s more a statistic you can use to be younger people with. 60% of the nhs is being used by people under the age of 65, who should, theoretically, be fit and healthy in the prime of their life, so what are those 60% playing at?

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I thought similar. Older people are always going to be the people most likely to need the nhs. If everyone was in the peak of health, and eating all their veggies, and driving at the speed limit, then the only people using the nhs would be older people. Even if there were only 6 older people in the entire country, they’d be the only people using it. So I don’t think it’s really a statistic you can use to beat older people with. As you say, it’s more a statistic you can use to be younger people with. 60% of the nhs is being used by people under the age of 65, who should, theoretically, be fit and healthy in the prime of their life, so what are those 60% playing at?

I guess a lot of that 60% have stuff going on that arent as a result of not looking after themselves.  But look at stats on Christmas eve etc when ambulences get record call outs because idiots cant handle their drink.

Then you read how much missed gp appointments cost.  boils my piss because there is no come back. Make it a rule if you miss a gp appointment you have to pay 50.00 before you can get another. 

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

I guess a lot of that 60% have stuff going on that arent as a result of not looking after themselves.  But look at stats on Christmas eve etc when ambulences get record call outs because idiots cant handle their drink.

Then you read how much missed gp appointments cost.  boils my piss because there is no come back. Make it a rule if you miss a gp appointment you have to pay 50.00 before you can get another. 

To be fair, I used the nhs a lot this year. Had an operation, fell over chasing my cat and broke my arm, and a couple of other things. So I get that it would have to be an unrealistically perfect world for no one under 65 to need the nhs. But there are a lot of people using it for avoidable things. So I can’t be too against what phe are trying to do. 

I workednon a project once educating travellers about the evils of energy drinks. Seems obvious really, but drinking litres of red bull a day is not good for you. But the project actually had a significantly positive effect. 

However, I do often wonder, all these health drives weren’t around when I was a kid. I used to eat sugar sandwiches, Coke Zero didn’t exist, etc. I wouldn’t let my kids eat a sugar sandwich now. There’s so many rules on food companies these days, the food my kids are eating must be so much healthier than the E number filled crap I was fed in the 80s. But I’ve still got all my teeth, I’m in relatively good health. So am I just lucky and have a strong metabolism, or is it all just little differences that don’t really add up to a lot? Or are bits going to start to fall off me when I hit 40?

14 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Behavioural economics will tell you this is unlikely to work, if the idea is to reduce consumption.

Far more effective would be to subsidise /incentivise the right behaviours.

An example from my field is vitality health insurance. They worked out that to persuade people to exercise more and hence reduce their risk of I'll health (And claims costs to them), they would offer a subsidised iwatch. 

They claim it's working well for their business.

is it unlikely though? now sugary drinks are more expensive i rarely ever buy sugar coke over coke zero.. and plastic bag usage has plummeted after the charge..

45 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

is it unlikely though? now sugary drinks are more expensive i rarely ever buy sugar coke over coke zero.. and plastic bag usage has plummeted after the charge..

To many, sugary foods are as addictive as fags and booze are to others and that's a more relevant comparison imho. Consumption has not been materially altered by price rises but by other factors. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Explains a lot, frankly.

There are people in the UK who believe this stuff too. I suspect there are even people on this forum who believe it!