Vs Southampton home (Matchday thread).

Rev

Those carrying knocks need a rest. Neither Wilson nor Marriott should play after Tuesday. Is Lawrence fit again? Johnson hasn't been suspended for two games now (he was available for Norwich and Boro), but hasn't made it back into the fold. Lowe needs to be welcomed back into the fold. Bird might benefit from game time. Roos would surely benefit from game time (and presumably Mitchell will be recalled now Oxford's keeper is fit and our boy hasn't been playing - loan was only till January). Maybe Sibley deserves a place on the bench? Is it time to give Bogle a week off? Do we want to try a central defender with huge physicality like Max Hunt? Holmes deserves a start. I'd love to see Waghorn as the central striker, but Lamps will doubtless go with Nugent. Mine would perhaps be a team of (three outfield changes from Tuesday):

Roos

Wisdom     Keogh     Tomori     Lowe

Evans

Bird      Mount

Holmes     Waghorn     Josefzoon

Subs:   Mitchell   Bogle   Hunt   Johnson   Bryson  Nugent  Sibley

Rested: Carson   Huddlestone   Others I've forgotten

Injured: Marriott  Wilson  Lawrence  Bennett

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my team for Southampton, give one or two a rest and lets see if Lowe has improved at left back and try Josefzoon on the right as he is right footed with Waghorn up front, then bring on Evans and Johnson for the tired Bryson and Huddlestone in the middle of the second half, then bring on Marriott towards the end for Josefzoon and move Waghorn out right. Then you might have the starting 11 for Leeds what we finish with assuming Wilson and Lawrence are still injured. I think it would be a risk starting Evans for the third game in one week when he has been out for so long, we want him to last out to the end of the season. I like the idea of Wisdom at right back being more solid and a natural left back in Lowe. I give you a better balanced team.

Carson   

Wisdom   Keogh  Tomori   Lowe

Huddlestone

Mount       Bryson

Josefzoon     Waghorn     Holmes

Subs:   Roos   Bogle   Pearce   Johnson   Evans  Nugent  Marriott

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

So why are so many not going to this? Seems like only 13,000 home fans at the moment. Is it finances or lack of interest? Could be a very good game.

Because 50% of football fans have been brainwashed into thinking that the Cup doesn't matter a jot.

Won't pay £12.50 to watch their team play against a Premier League team but will have the cheek to moan when "ticket prices are too high".

8 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Because 50% of football fans have been brainwashed into thinking that the Cup doesn't matter a jot.

Won't pay £12.50 to watch their team play against a Premier League team but will have the cheek to moan when "ticket prices are too high".

It's to do with the managers attitude towards the cup as well, Southampton will probably put a championship standard team out to rest players as survival is their main focus, we will probably rest quite a few as well but as we have good squad depth it shouldn't make too much difference to the team.  

2 hours ago, hiltonram said:

This is my team for Southampton, give one or two a rest and lets see if Lowe has improved at left back and try Josefzoon on the right as he is right footed with Waghorn up front, then bring on Evans and Johnson for the tired Bryson and Huddlestone in the middle of the second half, then bring on Marriott towards the end for Josefzoon and move Waghorn out right. Then you might have the starting 11 for Leeds what we finish with assuming Wilson and Lawrence are still injured. I think it would be a risk starting Evans for the third game in one week when he has been out for so long, we want him to last out to the end of the season. I like the idea of Wisdom at right back being more solid and a natural left back in Lowe. I give you a better balanced team.

Carson   

Wisdom   Keogh  Tomori   Lowe

Huddlestone

Mount       Bryson

Josefzoon     Waghorn     Holmes

Subs:   Roos   Bogle   Pearce   Johnson   Evans  Nugent  Marriott

I would keep Evans in, playing well and wouldn’t benefit from a rest, feel he actually needs more games to get even sharper. Swap Bryson for Johnson and you’re good to go. I feel frank might not go as strong a line up as that tho. With the run of games and the niggles we’ve picked up, I expect 5/6 changes. Hope not though. A strong side should beat Southampton reserves. 

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

So why are so many not going to this? Seems like only 13,000 home fans at the moment. Is it finances or lack of interest? Could be a very good game.

Ticket prices for occassional fans not particularly attractive shortly after a period of high family spending and outlay ? And penalising pay on the day fans wont encourage many more.

Its basically the club’s choice what the attendance will be . The decision not to open the north stand demonstrates that they knew and expected what sort of interest there would be based on their ticket price strategy.

And who's to say they havnt made the right call commercially ?  

5 hours ago, angieram said:

I'm going. Looking forward to it and am a bit disappointed Wilson will probably be out as he played so well against them in the friendly. So did Max Lowe as I recall, but Wisdom also had a good game on New Year's Day so a tough call there.

Would like to see Holmes get a start, too.

Play a strong team and get the win - will be good for confidence and can we go away to Arsenal in the next round please? Or take the quick route to Wembley by drawing Spurs! 

We could have a really good cup run this year - exciting.

We were so good in that preseason game, I was buzzing after that game. We moved the ball quickly, looked fluid and dangerous throughout ( or were the saints just slow ? ) Yes, Lowe was exceptional but mostly going forward.

heck .. we have a lot of players .. let’s play the best side. Give it a go. It’s not as if they are MUFC after all. 

6 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Ticket prices for occassional fans not particularly attractive shortly after a period of high family spending and outlay ? And penalising pay on the day fans wont encourage many more.

Its basically the club’s choice what the attendance will be . The decision not to open the north stand demonstrates that they knew and expected what sort of interest there would be based on their ticket price strategy.

And who's to say they havnt made the right call commercially ?  

It's £12.50.

Any less and they may as well pay us to attend.

38 minutes ago, Carnero said:

It's £12.50.

Any less and they may as well pay us to attend.

On general sale it's £17.50 (plus the rip-off £1 fee unless you collect the tickets in person). Still cheap but hey, some people seem to take pleasure in having a pop either at the club or the Chairman

If Thorne doesn’t get a sniff of the bench, does that mean he’s done in a Derby Shirt?

Along with others I do lament how the FA cup has been diminished over the years and normally I would say play our strongest team.... but we do have a massive squad, with some players we may rely upon at some point in the season and so let Pearce, Bryson, Roos and if Ledley and Johnson are fit maybe them too?

Better to improve the collective match practice/fitness than a run in a cup for me.

41 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

On general sale it's £17.50 (plus the rip-off £1 fee unless you collect the tickets in person). Still cheap but hey, some people seem to take pleasure in having a pop either at the club or the Chairman

Like one of the previous posters has pointed out 

any view not approved by the website mafia ( tops 20 people ?) seems unacceptable 

modern day parlance calls it bullying - and modern day parlance is quite right 

6 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

any view not approved by the website mafia ( tops 20 people ?) seems unacceptable 

I don't think anyone has said it's unacceptable, how cheap do you actually want it though?

Alfreton's £14 for the cheapest league game, Matlock.. Sheff Club, Buxton all £10+ in comparison. 

Is £17.50 really that bad to watch Championship standard players? 

£18.50 is reasonable TBF. Frankie will play a strong team with a few changes, the Saints will still be strong but as neither is taking the cup completely seriously neither do fans.

In reality on this one, even at a tenner it might only put 3-4000 extra on the gate...

11 hours ago, BobbyD said:

He's just disagreeing with your opinion, pal. Don't take it so personally.

14 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

It's to do with the managers attitude towards the cup as well, Southampton will probably put a championship standard team out

They've been doing that all season in the league, wouldn't take it personally

Archived