Vs Southampton home (Matchday thread).

Rev

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well, the side improved after Nuge was on, no doubt. I thought he did a lot of good but not eye catching things.

Was you there at the end when he played Marriott through for the final chance that he put over the bar? That caught me eye.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Great game, at 2 Nil heads could easily go down so credit to the lads for getting back in it. 

On another note a massive thanks to the club today, I brought my young daughter to her first Derby game and the stewards bent over backwards to make it as enjoyable as possible.

Special credit to the bloke sat next to me who not only put up with a young child crying but being poked with a Derby flag when she got excited, all while smiling and being an all round lovely guy. Makes the 'magic' of the FA Cup all the more real for us ?

Can't remember a post ever complementing a fellow fan at a home game. This so-called fan needs rooting out for not spending all game swearing at players. We don't want the likes of him ruining it for everyone else.

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Roos - did ok, I was hoping for quicker distribution but ok

bogle - helped by Holmes a lot

keogh - won plenty against two of the best headers in the premiership 

tomori - he needs to play and cover space if lowe is playing

lowe - disappears far to frequently from left back but we are what we are

evans - gave the ball away frequently 

bird - struggled to get involved 

Bryson - suddenly became excellent when we changed formation 

holmes - match ready - I don’t think opposition players like playing against him

lawrence - drives you nuts but made a goal and scored a great one but still should have fed it through to 3 players running through- hopefully a desperate premiership team will see the goal and offer us £15 million 

marriott - that’s 3 goals against 3 premiership clubs this season 

subs nugent - did well - waghorn nearly had  a moment - joflo - no time 

we looked very good playing 442 

southampton - well I have seen them in pre season and FA cup and they look a lot worse than about 8 teams in the championship 

Lawrence scored a goal and a assist and still gets a dig ?

9 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Could not agree more with your comment. He is a player in a position that demands that his contribution is in bursts but very important. Other times he will frustrate in an effort to find the magic moment.

Goal and an assist is an outstanding contribution. If everything he did was perfect then he would be called Messi and not playing in the East Midlands! 

A very interesting day out at Pride Park today. Frank's normal approach seems to be to go for it, no matter what, so he could well have put a strong team out to go for the win. And on today's showing, Southampton are definitely beatable. He was also aware of the high number of matches in the Championship, and actually said that he noticed that Mason Mount was starting to flag late on in games. So does he make changes, especially as there are lots of players all wanting their place in the team. So he actually said "Why not? Lets go for it"! Brilliant attitude.

What we got was an interesting game of footy, and a good look at fringe players, and we did all right. Good move, Frank.

Southampton were good in midfield, with perhaps a higher skillset than our own guys, and found their team mates with their inter-passing on a regular basis. However, they didn't create that much, and their defence showed signs of being shaky on a couple of occasions in the first half. However, they seemed to have just a bit too much "nous" for us. By that, I don't just mean match play experience, but the ability to commit fouls without the ref noticing. They didn't need to, because he wasn't looking, neither was he "seeing" the offences, in fact our first free-kick was only given because the crowd made so much noise. 

The opening goal was a set-back, and it looked like another Keogh calamity, but in actual fact the shot was going in anyway, so Richard had to do something to try and stop the shot going in. The goal was officially given to Redmond. Ho-hum. The foal was virtually the only Southampton attempt on goal in the first half, while the Rams threatened several times. Overall, we were still in the match, and probably suffered from showing too much respect for the opposition, and from the inexperience of the newbies.

The second goal from Southampton was a "worldie", and yet again Roos had no chance with it. The second goal put a spark into Southampton's play, and it looked a bit game over. But we kept plugging away, and the change of formation to 4-4-2 was key. Holmes to Nugent to Marriott --- Goal! Followed 3 minutes later by the Tom Lawrence strike, and suddenly it was a case of could the visitors hold out? And we got so close to winning when Jack Marriott snatched at his shot and put it over. Ho-hum part 2! Disappointing as it was, it actually doesn't matter, because Jack will score more than he misses. For the first goal, as soon as it got to him, I knew the net was going to bulge! It might be worth looking at how many times he has missed in front of goal, and I don't think it will be that many.

Despite the opening goal. Keogh did a lot of great, sometimes heroic defensive work, but his distribution was poor today. Holmes is making a great case for starting against Leeds, and Max Bird showed that he has something to offer, although he didn't influence the match a great deal. Either needs more match time, or isn't quite ready, but has promise. Tom Lawrence was his usual self, although without the petulance which normally gets him carded. A brilliant goal, he managed to harry the ball off his opponent a few times, but virtually every pass went to the opposition, so goal apart, there was very little end product. Frank, however, loves him because of what he brings off the ball. Although standing still, or walking slowly after he has just given it away instead of busting a gut to get the ball back is not an endearing quality. It is worth noticing that despite the lack of end product, just like Johnny Russell, the opposition consistently put three men on him, and Tom usually gets a hell of a kicking, so he must offer some threat to the other side. I was also pleased with the support which the crowd gave to Kelly Roos, who did OK today.

Overall I was pleased, because no matter how the game was going, the players put loads of effort in, so maybe the corner has been turned from those turgid, lacklustre performances of December.

3 minutes ago, Ramleicester said:

Could not agree more with your comment. He is a player in a position that demands that his contribution is in bursts but very important. Other times he will frustrate in an effort to find the magic moment.

Goal and an assist is an outstanding contribution. If everything he did was perfect then he would be called Messi and not playing in the East Midlands! 

Tom Lawrence is another Radio Derby Boo Boy...

No wonder we're the SHEEP based on some of our fan opinion/"listener derived" content.

5 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I don’t see anyone has mentioned it, but I thought Roos had a really good game today. It’s hard to come in after having such a solid first choice keeper but he made some key saves and didn’t look too nervy. 

Agree - thought he did ok. One good save low to his right in the second half and he looks more like one of the modern keepers where good, accurate distribution is almost as important as making saves. More confident now that we have a reasonable backup should Carson get injured or have a serious loss of form.

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Roos - did ok, I was hoping for quicker distribution but ok

bogle - helped by Holmes a lot

keogh - won plenty against two of the best headers in the premiership 

tomori - he needs to play and cover space if lowe is playing

lowe - disappears far to frequently from left back but we are what we are

evans - gave the ball away frequently 

bird - struggled to get involved 

Bryson - suddenly became excellent when we changed formation 

holmes - match ready - I don’t think opposition players like playing against him

lawrence - drives you nuts but made a goal and scored a great one but still should have fed it through to 3 players running through- hopefully a desperate premiership team will see the goal and offer us £15 million 

marriott - that’s 3 goals against 3 premiership clubs this season 

subs nugent - did well - waghorn nearly had  a moment - joflo - no time 

we looked very good playing 442 

southampton - well I have seen them in pre season and FA cup and they look a lot worse than about 8 teams in the championship 

Cracking succinct report ? 

on Holmes I think your comment is a bit tame tbh. I think playing against Duane would be a nightmare. If he can do that every week we have a player on our hands. They seek him here they seek him there. You can see him but you can’t touch him. Epic debut start. 

25 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Ah, Mr Sparkle - disrespectful of dirt...

Mr_Sparkle.jpg.0c03ce34e1f9dc1176f390669c87fe7c.jpg

15 minutes ago, Barnetbyram said:

Just watched highlights on motd, Jesus Christ the commentator Vicki Sparks has the most annoying voice, over exaggerating her tone and growling words,  ducking awful ?

Totally agree. I played it to the mrs and said "just listen to this and tell me what you think". 

Without prompting she thought it was awful.

i said that we are not allowed to criticise this or we are accused of sexism. 

But its awful. She puts a wierd sort of growl on.

2 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

I don’t see anyone has mentioned it, but I thought Roos had a really good game today. It’s hard to come in after having such a solid first choice keeper but he made some key saves and didn’t look too nervy. 

I thought he was great. 

Previously he used to look a bag of nerves, but he seems to have got over that. I noted to someone at the match that martin taylor was like that. He was a bag of nerves when he first played, but once he got over his nerves he was a very very good keeper. Hopefully the same thing happens with kelle roos.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

Totally agree. I played it to mrs and said "just listen to this and tell me what you think". 

Without prompting she thought it was awful.

i said that we are not allowed to criticise this or we are accused of sexism. 

But its awful. She puts a wierd sort of growl on.

I’ve listened to it a couple of times pal and it is truly awful, I’m trying to be pc, it’s difficult for me but I am, when woman commentators first started I said it just didn’t sound “right” to me, but gradually it’s bothering me less and less, until the gruffalo tonight, I just can’t help feel she’s trying to hard to sound passionate about the game and dare I say it, try and sound like a male commentator, I’m honestly not trying to offend anybody with my comment, it’s just the best way I can explain it

Archived