Vs Southampton home (Matchday thread).

Rev

Saturday 15.00hrs Pride Park Stadium.

The second meeting in our two leg friendly match with the Saints, can we make our advantage from the pre season fixture count, and why are both legs at home?

We would normally be playing in the FA Cup third round this weekend, but looking at the other Saturday 3pm kick offs, or lack of them on this most traditional of weekends, it must have been cancelled this year, perhaps we've all been invited to the Club World Cup?

Let me check something, back in a sec…

Apparently it is still the FA Cup third round weekend, but due to a brilliant deal the FA have struck to show games everywhere worldwide but here, the vast majority of games kick off at a different time.

At a stroke, the world's oldest cup competition becomes a distraction to casual observers around the world, rather than the great leveller and surprise maker between the league's of English football, and one of the greatest days of every football fans calendar becomes markedly less so.

Rant over, onto the game.

Will Frank change things up, maybe by introducing @King Kevin's two new loan signings, or blooding fresh meat from the u-23's like Thorne, Anya and Butterfield, these young lads are the future and what better chance to give them a shot?

Personally I'd pick the strongest team possible, and look to give those players a confidence boost heading into the important match to follow, but that's probably an unfashionable view.

What do you guys think?

COYR.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be a good opportunity to take Bogle out of the firing line as he’s being (unfairly at times) criticised a lot lately. Switch wisdom to RB and give Lowe some minutes. 

Would start Holmes as well. 

Roos

wisdom pearce Tomori lowe

Evans

Bird Mount  

holmes       Marriott      Waghorn

Hard to know what to expect from this one. No one is particulary expecting much against a team who remain a class above us, despite being in the lower ends of the prem. We’ve beat this lot before tho, so let’s just go out, play our game, not embarrass ourselves and hopefully nick another unexpected cup win. Naturally switch the team up a bit, though with our rotation I wouldn’t say any team is particulary a backup side...

Roos

Wisdom Keogh Tomori Lowe

Huddlestone

Mount Bryson

Holmes Marriott Lawrence 

Assuming Lawrence is fit of course... would think he must be nearly there.

Roos

Wisdom Pearce Tomori Lowe 

Huddlestone Mount Bryson     

Holmes Nugent Waghorn 

Can't see Wilson or Marriott being fit.

Give Keogh a rest and see what happens when you pick a more physical centre half (not advocating Keogh out full time).

Bryson to do the ugly work first half.

Carson

Wisdom Keogh Tomori Lowe

Evans

Mount Holmes

Waghorn Nugent Josefzoon

Subs - Roos McDonald Pearce Bird Sibley McAllister Mitchell-Lawson

Evans, Josefzoon, Waghorn and Holmes all need games to get match sharp.

Rest - Huddlestone. Bogle,  Marriott and Wilson

No point in cup tying anyone we may want to sell or loan or no place for Thorne, Bryson, Johnson, Butterfield or Anya.

However Pearce is our only other CB who is ready to play so sub and not used unless we lose Keogh or Tomori.

It's a real shame how the f.a cup has ended up, no one cares anymore about one of the best cups in the world, even championship teams play weakened sides, use to love this competition growing up, in the late 70s and the 80s, loved the games, seeing Derby beat Forest 2-0, in the 80s as a young lad will stay forever with me, I will turn up on Saturday out of habit, playing a team in a higher division should be a great occasion, with 30000 plus getting behind the team, but I am afraid if we get 12000 I would be surprised, oh how our great game has changed so much, and not for the better, but I will always love my club, just wished that it had the atmosphere and excitement it use to have, could be myself just getting older, but I doubt it, modern day football and fans are so different to how it use to be, I blame it on Sky sports to a degree.

I'm going. Looking forward to it and am a bit disappointed Wilson will probably be out as he played so well against them in the friendly. So did Max Lowe as I recall, but Wisdom also had a good game on New Year's Day so a tough call there.

Would like to see Holmes get a start, too.

Play a strong team and get the win - will be good for confidence and can we go away to Arsenal in the next round please? Or take the quick route to Wembley by drawing Spurs! 

We could have a really good cup run this year - exciting.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm going. Looking forward to it and am a bit disappointed Wilson will probably be out as he played so well against them in the friendly. So did Max Lowe as I recall, but Wisdom also had a good game on New Year's Day so a tough call there.

Would like to see Holmes get a start, too.

Play a strong team and get the win - will be good for confidence and can we go away to Arsenal in the next round please? Or take the quick route to Wembley by drawing Spurs! 

We could have a really good cup run this year - exciting.

I would love a good cup run, and would love to play one of the big 6 away, my choice would be Liverpool though, it's a shame though that since Sky sports the FA Cup is now a nothing cup to most which is a shame, it use to be so important to the football calendar not anymore though.

31 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

It's a real shame how the f.a cup has ended up, no one cares anymore about one of the best cups in the world, even championship teams play weakened sides, use to love this competition growing up, in the late 70s and the 80s, loved the games, seeing Derby beat Forest 2-0, in the 80s as a young lad will stay forever with me, I will turn up on Saturday out of habit, playing a team in a higher division should be a great occasion, with 30000 plus getting behind the team, but I am afraid if we get 12000 I would be surprised, oh how our great game has changed so much, and not for the better, but I will always love my club, just wished that it had the atmosphere and excitement it use to have, could be myself just getting older, but I doubt it, modern day football and fans are so different to how it use to be, I blame it on Sky sports to a degree.

yes....but who should play RB?

Archived