Little Duane

Big Trav

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, robglosta said:

The epitome of hunger, desire and patience. His post match interview shows him to be very well measured too - I’m sure he’ll become a fans favourite. 

We’ve found a diamond here, hopefully an American who will have gone under the radar this month. Unlike that guy Chelsea paid HOW MUCH for? ?

12 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

You've changed your tune. Where have the endless demands for 4-2-3-1 go?  This formation looks very much like Frank's one. Haven't you got any original ideas?

Hence why I said that we could get away with it in “certain” games because Wisdom would mean we wouldn’t be exposed on the counter attack. Please read next time and learn the game.

9 hours ago, McLovin said:

Hence why I said that we could get away with it in “certain” games because Wisdom would mean we wouldn’t be exposed on the counter attack. Please read next time and learn the game.

How can I learn anything without Bris here. He knew the game.

On 02/01/2019 at 09:36, sage said:

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a minute, if you have pace it is easier to impact a game when you come on after 70 minutes as opposed to starting against fresh legs. Particularly towards the end of the 4th game in 12 days. 

He does have promise though. I still see him as a sub if we have everyone available, but he's a good bench/squad player, especially as he can play in both ranks of 3 in our 433.

I'm sure I heard him say in his post match interview on RD that 'it's ok playing well against tired legs but today I had to do it over 90 minutes'  or something similar.

My god he's on the forum. Is he American Ram or Curtains?

2 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

his pass to lawrence for marriott's goal was fantastic. reminded me of thorne at his very best.

he was sensational yesterday and i feel the best is yet to come from him.

Shhhh.......you'll put Muespach off him.

Duane looks class and is presumably the replacement for Mount/Wilson. A couple of Lampardesque runs  against Southampton. Let us drop 'little' from the thread. I am gradually moving my focus to next season for the revelation of Frank's team, after the great exodus of players. 

Some player. Drifts by players like they're not there. Has a super low sense of gravity which gives him the ability to skip by players so effortlessly. I think he's being managed correctly too, Lampard doesn't want to chuck him in at the deep end, kind of like he did with Marriott. He could be a huge player for us but I don't want us to expect too much too soon.   

I'd said my piece and read the comments of others but had to come back to this thread.

Ok, so a few substitute cameos and a fantastic full first start don't make him Messi but I confess to being very very excited about Duane.

When I watch any game and write something on here, I want to sound savvy about tactics, performances and how the game went. The truth is my views are just impressions that formed in the match, a few memorable moments that stick with you, then throw in intelligent thoughts from others that make you consider other angles and you arrive with an overall view. I am not clever and could never be a football manager.

On the other hand I think (like many of us ) I can spot stand out skill that goes beyond a few good touches in a few periods of open play. I think Duane's got it. The next few games will confirm it one way or the other.

I watched a fair bit of live football at the top end of the game over the years. Duane looks like one of those top players, not just skill on the ball but the composure and total lack of panic. Proactive isn't a great word but I think he could be one of those who like good chess players are always moves ahead in their mind. 

Its going to give me a little flutter of extra enthusiasm when his name is on the team sheet. Here's hoping that in Duane we have a nascent genius in our ranks. I think we have.

5 hours ago, jono said:

I'd said my piece and read the comments of others but had to come back to this thread.

Ok, so a few substitute cameos and a fantastic full first start don't make him Messi but I confess to being very very excited about Duane.

When I watch any game and write something on here, I want to sound savvy about tactics, performances and how the game went. The truth is my views are just impressions that formed in the match, a few memorable moments that stick with you, then throw in intelligent thoughts from others that make you consider other angles and you arrive with an overall view. I am not clever and could never be a football manager.

On the other hand I think (like many of us ) I can spot stand out skill that goes beyond a few good touches in a few periods of open play. I think Duane's got it. The next few games will confirm it one way or the other.

I watched a fair bit of live football at the top end of the game over the years. Duane looks like one of those top players, not just skill on the ball but the composure and total lack of panic. Proactive isn't a great word but I think he could be one of those who like good chess players are always moves ahead in their mind. 

Its going to give me a little flutter of extra enthusiasm when his name is on the team sheet. Here's hoping that in Duane we have a nascent genius in our ranks. I think we have.

I agree with the composure part, he seems ice cool on the ball and always looks to make something happen. I am hoping he starts against Leeds and that he starts on the wing, as I definitely see him as more of a winger than a centre mid.

• 3 weeks later...

Harry Wilson looks class. But is anyone else thinking that for overall play Holmes has played better more often than not?

Not a criticism of Wilson. Just massive praise to Holmes who's played all over the place, been in and out but if it wasn't for those Wilson Worldies I think Holmes would win the head to head with KO.

And he's ours to keep!!

Archived