Little Duane

Big Trav

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gritters said:

I work with a chap who follows Scunthorpe (poor chap).

He said he was their best player last season. He wasn’t surprised we came in for him.

Yeah, I know a Scunny fan and I said exactly that when we signed him. He told me he’s a bag of tricks and just needed full fitness. He said he just needed to score the odd goal more for all the positions he gets into and maybe step up defensively a notch in a higher league, but that was more progression than being negative. Asks me about him whenever I see him. Clearly made an impact there.

He is very quick of thought and feet, always looks for a positive forward movement or pass. Like him a lot. He’s played central so far but am I right he is a winger by preference ? .. if so give him a go on the flank on Saturday 

1 hour ago, jimbobram said:

Messi-esque running style 

This, has some serious control as well. Struggling to fathom how Huddersfield let him go, might not have got everything our of him yet, but there’s clearly bags and bags of talent and technique within him. Could be our best signing in a long time imo

Must be in line for a start in the cup match. If he plays well, he’s got to be knocking on the door for the Leeds match then. His ability to ghost past a couple of players is something we’ve really lacked, and has the amazing effect of getting us on the front foot early in a move, rather than the passing side to side probing for a gap all game...being able to do both makes both ways more effective.

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

Must be in line for a start in the cup match. If he plays well, he’s got to be knocking on the door for the Leeds match then. His ability to ghost past a couple of players is something we’ve really lacked, and has the amazing effect of getting us on the front foot early in a move, rather than the passing side to side probing for a gap all game...being able to do both makes both ways more effective.

Reminds me a bit of Wee Willie Carson.

Looked a right little bag of tricks ,, can frank and the coaching staff get him doing it on a consistent basis is the big question ,pretty much the same question for our team , if we can get consistently to about 85 % of our best performances then we are a serious threat and contenders

To me, Duane is Frank's permanent Harry Wilson - don't get me wrong, he's not the player Wilson is or will be, but he can play centrally or on the wing, is positive etc. For when Wilson goes back to Liverpool in the summer, it's Duane's shirt.

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a minute, if you have pace it is easier to impact a game when you come on after 70 minutes as opposed to starting against fresh legs. Particularly towards the end of the 4th game in 12 days. 

He does have promise though. I still see him as a sub if we have everyone available, but he's a good bench/squad player, especially as he can play in both ranks of 3 in our 433.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a minute, if you have pace it is easier to impact a game when you come on after 70 minutes as opposed to starting against fresh legs. Particularly towards the end of the 4th game in 12 days. 

He does have promise though. I still see him as a sub if we have everyone available, but he's a good bench/squad player, especially as he can play in both ranks of 3 in our 433.

I was just thinking the opposite... If the Oppo can't keep up with him (coming on for the last 20mins eg) why would we expect our own players to?

He'll need to fine-tune his shooting and/or hold-up play, as he'll continually be up there on his own!

Probably best all round if we just try him in the starting 11, and see how it goes.

13 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I was just thinking the opposite... If the Oppo can't keep up with him (coming on for the last 20mins eg) why would we expect our own players to?

He'll need to fine-tune his shooting and/or hold-up play, as he'll continually be up there on his own!

Probably best all round if we just try him in the starting 11, and see how it goes.

I would certainly play him v Soton 

19 minutes ago, sage said:

13 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

20 minutes ago, sage said:

It's not just his pace though. He seems a tidy player with good control and full of trickery. I also remember what I assume was his first full game. I seem to recall that he was quite poor in the first half but grew into the game. 

I'd like to see him start instead of Flo Jo.

Archived