Watchable telly

dog

7 hours ago, eddie said:

Good Omens - utterly delightful.

I loved the book in my youth & so glad they've finally managed to adapt it.

I've only watched the first 2 episodes so far but I agree. I could watch Michael Sheen in anything and David Tennant hamming it up is great.

Off on another rant. The latest series of Black Mirror is so tired and predictable, mining the same two or three technologies that it always has. With everything in our potential world they just keep going back to social media, memory implants and virtual reality. Really, is that all there is to consider?

And in the latest series the stories don't even consider the impact of the technology - in at least two of the three stories you could tell that today without even needing to include the supposed disruptive tech. Only the first one - Striking Vipers - actually challenges and then at the most superficial levels - the ways our lives might change. The other two, without plot spoiling, just use (or rather reuse) some random tech as an almost incidental around an otherwise standard plot line.

What a shame, when it first came out it really was a thing of immense interest but like so much else it has vanished into a pastiche of itself, devoid of the challenging writing and truly disturbing plotlines that we saw in the first couple of series.

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I've been watching Chernobyl,it's pretty horrific but compelling.

I've been put off the handmaid's tale as my son has been studying it for his a levels and it's driven him mad!

I didn't watch it for years cos I assumed it was a costume drama for women, like Downton Abbey or something. I heard it's based on books, but couldn't tell you how similar it is in terms of sticking to the story. It's very well made though I must say.

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I've been put off the handmaid's tale as my son has been studying it for his a levels and it's driven him mad!

Any chance I had of enjoying the book was destroyed by having to study it for my English Lit A-Level. I can't really give an opinion on whether I liked it or not because it's always associated with school. It's the main reason why I'm not that arsed about watching the series.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

The killers at Glastonbury.

Seen a couple of Derby flags on poles too.

Was just about to mention Glastonbury. Although not my usual genre, Stomzy was excellent last night, and the Killers are one of the few bands Id pay £ to see. 

Sith Happens
On 13/06/2019 at 14:28, Mostyn6 said:

all disasters are harrowing and scary to be fair.

Unless its forests latest managerial appointment in which case its damn hilarious.