Watchable telly

dog

9 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Absoutely - I'm a Derby fan, this sort of self inflicted torture is what I have lived for since John Middleton was in goals.

I'm with you that Line of Duty has gone a bit daft now. They always do. Luther for example. What was so good about the Bodyguard was that it started great then went dire by the end of season 1.

One thing I still love though is Homeland. Anyone who gave up at the slightly silly series 3 made a big mistake. I'm halfway through series 7 at moment and series 4 onwards is great.

The Americans has also kept the standard high. Just started on the final season but getting confusing as the same guy is playing a Russian spy in Homeland too!

I just finished the first series of Don’t Forget The Driver with Toby Jones which I thought was really good. Bit of a drama/comedy type. A bit like Detectorists really.

Everyone who’s gonna watch Fleabag has seen it right? Thought it was brilliant although it only starts hitting its stride after the first three episodes of the first series.

On 29/04/2019 at 13:12, ketteringram said:

Will you watch the final one next weekend? 

I did, some more ranting. 

- One of the prime points of accusation is the fact that an organised crime gang wear balaclavas, just like paramilitarys did in the city where Hastings grew up. Rock solid!

- What on Earth is a 'computer disposal' shop - with a big sign on the door that says 'computer disposal'? If a senior policeman had compromising information on a laptop why would he hand it over? He'd take out the hard drive - smash it to bits with a hammer. You don't need to go to a 'computer disposal' shop to do that.

- Since when did lawyers start assigning policemen to undercover operations? It's just beyond ridiculous to even suggest it.

- In the fourth series a senior lawyer declined witness protection because he said that the criminals would find him anyway, he said he was dead man walking if he took it. But someone more senior, more influential - a key cog - seems to think that would be OK and goes to live in the UK in a terraced house (I get the point, fall from grace and all that).

- Hastings has just been within a whisker of losing his job on threat of accepting bribes and was in some huge moral quandary over whether to return the money. But apparently he was only worried about returning half of it and the other half he is prepared (strongly suggested) to hand over to the bereaved wife of someone that he is implicitly linked to the death of. It just beggars belief that this would happen.

- In a clue that Ted Rogers would have been proud of on 3-2-1, apparently a dying policemen when being asked to spell out a name of the corrupt policement, decides to tap out - out of line of sight - four times and then have the policemen understand that while four dots is morse code for H it is also four and while the whole inside gang are so clever that nobody knows the name of the leader even relative small fry like Cotton know that there are four people to be caught.

- The young lad who applies for police cadet school is accepted even though he has been hanging around with criminal gangs for years (including two murders). I'm not saying they would know that but I find it very hard to believe he has got that far entrenched without one single conviction.

- The convicted criminal, Lisa, who all but admitted to accessory to murder, is left to go talk to (junior) school children - I doubt she would pass a CRB / DBS check - immediately on the hazards of organized crime. Just take a moment to think - what would she actually say to those kids? 'don't raid police depots kids, it's not the life for you'.

- Finally, the most ridiculous of the lot. The police force are so rotten that the security guard on the door, the lawyer and the junior police officer taking notes are all on the payroll of the OCG. Yet they still carry on looking for one single person - the elusive H. If you knew your police force was so compromised that you could put a team sheet up of officers associated do you think it woul be allowed to continue to operate? It's just ridiculous, even in the context of a Sunday night bit of TV to assume it's just a case of 'oh well, we might have a bit of a problem but let's just crack on, it'll sort itself out'.

Can't wait for the next series.....

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I did, some more ranting. 

- One of the prime points of accusation is the fact that an organised crime gang wear balaclavas, just like paramilitarys did in the city where Hastings grew up. Rock solid!

- What on Earth is a 'computer disposal' shop - with a big sign on the door that says 'computer disposal'? If a senior policeman had compromising information on a laptop why would he hand it over? He'd take out the hard drive - smash it to bits with a hammer. You don't need to go to a 'computer disposal' shop to do that.

- Since when did lawyers start assigning policemen to undercover operations? It's just beyond ridiculous to even suggest it.

- In the fourth series a senior lawyer declined witness protection because he said that the criminals would find him anyway, he said he was dead man walking if he took it. But someone more senior, more influential - a key cog - seems to think that would be OK and goes to live in the UK in a terraced house (I get the point, fall from grace and all that).

- Hastings has just been within a whisker of losing his job on threat of accepting bribes and was in some huge moral quandary over whether to return the money. But apparently he was only worried about returning half of it and the other half he is prepared (strongly suggested) to hand over to the bereaved wife of someone that he is implicitly linked to the death of. It just beggars belief that this would happen.

- In a clue that Ted Rogers would have been proud of on 3-2-1, apparently a dying policemen when being asked to spell out a name of the corrupt policement, decides to tap out - out of line of sight - four times and then have the policemen understand that while four dots is morse code for H it is also four and while the whole inside gang are so clever that nobody knows the name of the leader even relative small fry like Cotton know that there are four people to be caught.

- The young lad who applies for police cadet school is accepted even though he has been hanging around with criminal gangs for years (including two murders). I'm not saying they would know that but I find it very hard to believe he has got that far entrenched without one single conviction.

- The convicted criminal, Lisa, who all but admitted to accessory to murder, is left to go talk to (junior) school children - I doubt she would pass a CRB / DBS check - immediately on the hazards of organized crime. Just take a moment to think - what would she actually say to those kids? 'don't raid police depots kids, it's not the life for you'.

- Finally, the most ridiculous of the lot. The police force are so rotten that the security guard on the door, the lawyer and the junior police officer taking notes are all on the payroll of the OCG. Yet they still carry on looking for one single person - the elusive H. If you knew your police force was so compromised that you could put a team sheet up of officers associated do you think it woul be allowed to continue to operate? It's just ridiculous, even in the context of a Sunday night bit of TV to assume it's just a case of 'oh well, we might have a bit of a problem but let's just crack on, it'll sort itself out'.

Not to mention that 2 witnesses were given immunity from prosecution, yet not one person was prosecuted as a result of the evidence provided!

A series too far.

On 06/05/2019 at 12:08, BaaLocks said:

Would be interesting to know quite how many police have actually been corrupt. There was about 15 in just this last series!

I can't wait to find out who the 4th person is. It isn't Hastings and can't be our two heroes.

That leaves the chief of police and the PR she hangs around with, the asian girl in the office who replaced the one who was killed, or Steve's on/off girlfriend. Can't think of any more characters left other than these fairly bit part ones.

Someone needs to have a sit down with Jed Mecurio(?) and find out why he took the formula of huge plot holes in the Bodyguard and replicated the idea in Line of Duty.

*forgot about the ac-3 women. Could be her.

Edited by ariotofmyown

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Would be interesting to know quite how many police have actually been corrupt. There was about 15 in just this last series!

I can't wait to find out who the 4th person is. It isn't Hastings and can't be our two heroes.

That leaves the chief of police and the PR she hangs around with, the asian girl in the office who replaced the one who was killed, or Steve's on/off girlfriend. Can't think of any more characters left other than these fairly bit part ones.

Someone needs to have a sit down with Jed Mecurio(?) and find out why he took the formula of huge plot holes in the Bodyguard and replicated the idea in Line of Duty.

*forgot about the ac-3 women. Could be her.

You're right actually - there's not really anyone left for it to be. Unless they do a Scooby Doo and it was the janitor who appeared for ten seconds in series three episode two doing a Stan Lee style cameo. It would be nuts now to just bring someone in for series six just so they can be the main culprit, that would be so amateur and no BBC producer would let such weak writing actually make it to screen - oh, hold on a minute....

BTW - agree on The Bodyguard, but at least I busted that after one episode and vowed to never go near it again.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Oh my goodness. Just discovered Fleabag. Must be the funniest thing I've watched on TV for 10 years. 

I agree it's very good and it does just get better and better.

Something that is just silly funny is Dead Pixels on Channel Four - if you've ever gamed or know anyone that has gamed you will giggle and while it is lowest common demoniator humour (nothing wrong with that) it does have some absolute laugh out loud moments in it.

Ghosts, the comedy from the Horrible Hsitories team, promised so much but never really got going and is now out of steam four episodes in.

10 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I agree it's very good and it does just get better and better.

Something that is just silly funny is Dead Pixels on Channel Four - if you've ever gamed or know anyone that has gamed you will giggle and while it is lowest common demoniator humour (nothing wrong with that) it does have some absolute laugh out loud moments in it.

Ghosts, the comedy from the Horrible Hsitories team, promised so much but never really got going and is now out of steam four episodes in.

Ghosts - I watched 10 mins of the 1st episode and switched off.  Not for me that.

Will check out Dead Pixels though

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

You're right actually - there's not really anyone left for it to be. Unless they do a Scooby Doo and it was the janitor who appeared for ten seconds in series three episode two doing a Stan Lee style cameo. It would be nuts now to just bring someone in for series six just so they can be the main culprit, that would be so amateur and no BBC producer would let such weak writing actually make it to screen - oh, hold on a minute....

BTW - agree on The Bodyguard, but at least I busted that after one episode and vowed to never go near it again.

I know a guy who works in Police Standards and has just past an exam to get promoted. One of the more realistic endings is if he is H/number 4.

You should watch the Bodyguard all the way thru as I'd love to read your plot hole bants at the end.

Think British TV doesn't work when it tries to be too American and all action. The Line of Duty interrogation scenes are so good. Why bother with over the top action. The robberies committed by the criminal gang in this series would be up there with the worst crimes ever scene on uk soil.

I'm looking forward to Shane Meadows new series. This Is England is proper British TV. Like Fleabag.

• 2 weeks later...

Threads called watchable telly. Play off final. Probably watched from behind the sofa. 

Have a question. Now TV. Don't have a smart TV. I guess I could buy the stick or the box, but it will literally only get used for one game. 

Can I buy a one day sports pass, using the app on my phone?? 

I have the app, but it stupidly will not let me set up an account, until I buy some package. One of the packages is a one day sports pass. Do I have to wait until less than 24 hours before kick off before I open the account?? 

• 2 weeks later...

Been binging on Jeremy Brett's and Edward Hardwicke's exquisite Granada Sherlock Holmes series from the 80's.  Saw most of the episodes when the series came out, but am enjoying them even more now.  As a boy i read the complete works over and over and this series perfectly captures the characters and stays lovingly faithful to the stories.  One of the finest English television series to date.  We watch one a day, religiously with large heaps of popcorn.  Even bought new speakers for our TV to further enhance our enjoyment.  Jeremy Brett is and will be the definitive Holmes IMO and that of many other's i dare say.  A remarkable actor who left us too soon.