Watchable telly

dog

On 04/02/2020 at 18:31, Tamworthram said:

Watched the latest episode of Inside No. 9 last night - "The referee's a w****ker" last night. Very good and inspired me to start watching the whole thing right from the start. The second episode of series 1 "a quiet night in" really appealed to my dubious sense of humour.

It’s a brilliant show. Seriously underrated.

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I disagree. I've never really got into Black Mirror. 

The first episode of BlackMirror wasn’t great but the series really grew on me. Personally, I’d rate it way above Inside No. 9 but, apart from the “The referee’s a w****ker” episode (which was excellent) I’m only on series 2 so, maybe it will get better and better.

18 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The first episode of BlackMirror wasn’t great but the series really grew on me. Personally, I’d rate it way above Inside No. 9 but, apart from the “The referee’s a w****ker” episode (which was excellent) I’m only on series 2 so, maybe it will get better and better.

Ha, I'm completely the other way round on Black Mirror!

10 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Ha, I'm completely the other way round on Black Mirror!

I can forgive the cider drinking as youthful ignorance.. But you need to have a serious look at yourself! 

Think the first couple of episodes and the last series were weaker, but many of the episodes in between were really amazing. Inside no 9 is interesting and quirky but not on the same planet for me. 

Black Mirror is the perfect show for people who think they're more clever and interesting than they actually are. I like Charlie Brooker a lot for his comedy and  social commentary but when it comes to creating something more substantive he's found lacking in variety.

There are 22 episodes, maybe 6 of them are excellent, 4 very good, 6 'sort of OK' and the other 6 piss poor, overlong, unimaginative, boring and stretched out 25 minutes longer than any of their basic, repetetive thematic ideas ever warranted.

I mean... yeah we get it, in the future everything is recorded/accessible/watched via an implant. You've based more than half of your episodes on this idea, it's boring now.

The bandersnatch episode was ruined by poo casting of unbelievable characters played by unsympathetic actors who didn't suit the characters.

Inside No.9 lost its way a couple of years ago but I've enjoyed nearly all of the episodes in the past 2 seasons despite a serious lull before that.

29 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Black Mirror is the perfect show for people who think they're more clever and interesting than they actually are.

Yeah, the underlying dialectic of having a PM shag a pig was hugely intellectually stimulating for those cerebral enough to grasp it's core message. I feel so superior for having understood the multiple satirical layers that less intelligent folk would doubtless have overlooked completely ? 

6 hours ago, Coconut said:

Black Mirror is the perfect show for people who think they're more clever and interesting than they actually are. I like Charlie Brooker a lot for his comedy and  social commentary but when it comes to creating something more substantive he's found lacking in variety.

There are 22 episodes, maybe 6 of them are excellent, 4 very good, 6 'sort of OK' and the other 6 piss poor, overlong, unimaginative, boring and stretched out 25 minutes longer than any of their basic, repetetive thematic ideas ever warranted.

I mean... yeah we get it, in the future everything is recorded/accessible/watched via an implant. You've based more than half of your episodes on this idea, it's boring now.

The bandersnatch episode was ruined by poo casting of unbelievable characters played by unsympathetic actors who didn't suit the characters.

Inside No.9 lost its way a couple of years ago but I've enjoyed nearly all of the episodes in the past 2 seasons despite a serious lull before that.

There is some repetition of ideas but a lot more variety than you give it credit for, but not quite sure what you expect from a series entitled Black Mirror?

If you haven't watched the 10 series or so of Walking Dead then let me warn you that every episode is basically about escaping from Zombies.

Dr Who has a Doctor travelling through space every cuffing episode and... get this Lost...? they are lost on a desert Island in every one of its 100+ episodes.....

On 08/02/2020 at 00:38, Coconut said:

They're also pretty good (on the whole as there are a few which aren't that good) for less pretentious people than those you are describing, who enjoy them for their entertainment value. 

When it's good it brilliant. When it's not good it's just a bit of a disappointment. 

The San Junipero episode is one of the greatest things ever. @DarkFruitsRam7 give that a go and see what you think.

On 14/01/2020 at 07:47, ariotofmyown said:

I just finished this and it currently resides in my theoretical top 10 tv shows ever. It was perfect.

Apologies for replying to my own post but wondered if anyone else has seen Watchmen yet? I thought it was incredible and wondered if anyone else agreed?

Watched The Stranger on Netflix and thought it was pretty good, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't think it was better. Maybe slightly unusual mix of a bbc/itv style British drama trying to be edgy too. Almost worked.

Just watched first episode of 7 Seconds and looks good but no sign of Neneh Cherry yet unfortunately. 

On 09/02/2020 at 08:15, Tamworthram said:

They're also pretty good (on the whole as there are a few which aren't that good) for less pretentious people than those you are describing, who enjoy them for their entertainment value. 

The Waldo Moment has to be one of the worst episodes of TV I've ever seen, so one the nose, and nowhere near as razor sharp satirical as it thinks it is.  Plus the bloke playing comedian is 100% punchable!!!

However, I think Be Right Back, White Bear, San Junipero & USS Callister are brilliant.

14 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Watched The Stranger on Netflix and thought it was pretty good, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't think it was better. Maybe slightly unusual mix of a bbc/itv style British drama trying to be edgy too. Almost worked.

Just watched first episode of 7 Seconds and looks good but no sign of Neneh Cherry yet unfortunately. 

Enjoyed The Stranger up until the last episode, then it seriously stretched believability, and ended up annoying me...