Watchable telly

dog

On 03/05/2020 at 20:43, Chester40 said:

You seem to place a lot of worth on 'likeability'....which doesn't necessarily bother me. 

Yeah, does seem like a moan for the sake of it. It's not like the measure of a show is whether the characters are likeable or not, is it! Each to their own I guess, though it does make you wonder why he watched the whole show if he found it so unsatisfactory.

8 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Watching Homeland off the back recent posts on this thread. 

I will be back in a few weeks after I’ve climbed back out of the rabbit hole. 

I can't recall how many series I got through..possibly 4...just found I really didn't care any more. Solid enough at the beginning but never totally gripped me. 

I have just burned through 'Into the Night'.  Only way I can describe is its like 'Speed'  (the Keanu Reeves film ) but on a plane. 

Solid and engaging with some nice little moral dilemmas that hook you in, without ever really being totally spellbound with intrigue or excitement. 

Last point...anyone still trudging on with The Walking Dead? The first couple of series were truly gripping. It lost its way several times and then managed to pull me back in just as I waivered eg Negan was initially brilliant then almost broke me. I dipped back in and the first storylines about the Whisperers gave me hope it had turned back round again but OMG 'Alpha' (Samantha Morton) quickly became my least favourite character in any series ever, truly ridiculous and annoying. Her voice /accent made me want to smash my tv in.  Beta may be a better option (Opie from Sons of Anarchy and he's in the latter Bosch series I think) so will give it one final chance. 

Edited by Chester40

Anyone been following Normal People?

Biggest show ever on BBC3, eclipsing even Killing Eve.

The story of young love between two very bright college students in Ireland.

Splendid stuff. Well written and acted and quite touching.

18 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yeah, does seem like a moan for the sake of it. It's not like the measure of a show is whether the characters are likeable or not, is it! Each to their own I guess, though it does make you wonder why he watched the whole show if he found it so unsatisfactory.

Well like @ariotofmyown said, it’s important to stick with a show or a film to get a full picture.

Plus I am a Derby fan - I am used to watching things which are unsatisfying. ?

Icarus - an award-winning documentary about doping and corruption in sport.

No likeable characters (of course) but a really fascinating insight into the lengths people will (allegedly) go to to cheat the system.

Edited by Jourdan

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I did warn you . Wait till you get to series 4&5 .  You will get to a point with this show that would make Stephen Hawking cry in a dark room.

It's on as background for me. I used to do a couple of hours work in the morning - now I do it when the Memsahib is watching her nightly 4 episodes of 'Lost'. My major problem is trying not to number paragraphs '4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42'.

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

What did you think though? I thought the first series was great.

Mystifying, baffling, compulsive, soul-destroying and quaintly ridiculous. I did like Hurley using the sentence "You've got some Arzt on you" after the science teacher blew himself up though, so there's that.

Edit: It's also fun to try to predict when the next 'extra' or 'make up the numbers dude' gets a speaking part, and, of course, how they are going to die in that episode.

Edited by Eddie

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

I have no idea, but it would be wise not to go back to the place you got the last one from ?

this is Eddie we are talking about,  I don't think 'ye olde Victorian brain shoppe' is a going concern anymore. 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

this is Eddie we are talking about,  I don't think 'ye olde Victorian brain shoppe' is a going concern anymore. 

Some would argue that they can’t make brains like that nowadays ?