Atmosphere

Waffle

It must be that time of year again, I hear you shout at your screen.

In light of Lampard’s comments at the weekend and the overwhelming support/well wishes of his comment on social media, it’s going to be interesting to see what happens in regards to atmosphere throughout the rest of the season and onwards. 

I’m all in favour of the Pride Park atmosphere/match day experience improving and taking on a more ‘European model’ I wish any group trying to improve this success in this case (Club 84) 

Let’s hope we can turn Pride Park in to a Fortress like the BBG.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Waffle said:

I’m all in favour of the Pride Park atmosphere/match day experience improving and taking on a more ‘European model.

I'm prepared to help by sitting outside with a coffee and a french bird smoking a fag.

7 minutes ago, Waffle said:

It must be that time of year again, I hear you shout at your screen.

In light of Lampard’s comments at the weekend and the overwhelming support/well wishes of his comment on social media, it’s going to be interesting to see what happens in regards to atmosphere throughout the rest of the season and onwards. 

I’m all in favour of the Pride Park atmosphere/match day experience improving and taking on a more ‘European model’ I wish any group trying to improve this success in this case (Club 84) 

Let’s hope we can turn Pride Park in to a Fortress like the BBG.

"That time of the year"? For some it's that time of the week to ignore the fact (in my opinion) the atmosphere at PP isn't much different to most other clubs with modern stadiums. Also, my memory isn't as good as it could be to remember what the BBG was like week in week out. I do wonder if many people have a selective and sentimental memory of what the old ground was like for typical second tier games.

Having said that, I also wish we could establish PP as a stadium with a better than average ground for atmosphere but I don't know what the answer is. 

Just now, cannable said:

I’m not really sure what to do

I try and start songs, one or two join me at most 

Calling people out doesn’t seem to work ?

South Stand needs a rethink, there are people there who are more bothered with a Christmas catch up than the football 

The biggest mistake I ever made was trying to sing in the west upper, I was made to feel so uncomfortable by the people around me.

I’m excited to see if anything comes of this new group. I think we can all agree the atmosphere hasn’t been right for a while. I don’t think the the South stand should be totally responsible for the atmosphere but it definitely need some a more thought out/ co-ordinated approach to create a better atmosphere. 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'm prepared to help by sitting outside with a coffee and a french bird smoking a fag.

If you find one, let me know! 

In all seriousness, the amount of sponsors we have at the club, they could make a fan park/village. If more people were at the ground/in and around the stadium before the game, that would help in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

I’m not really sure what to do

I try and start songs, one or two join me at most 

Calling people out doesn’t seem to work ?

South Stand needs a rethink, there are people there who are more bothered with a Christmas catch up than the football 

That seems to be the same for the rest of the ground.

We all know that the south stand was supposed to be the area for people wanting to sing and create an atmosphere (some of us try) and we all now know that some obviously made the move for the cheaper tickets.

So that must mean we have people in other areas of the ground that still want to create an atmosphere who either didn't want to change seats or couldn't because those who wanted cheap seats got there first. These people need to become more vocal and keep trying to get those around them to join in, it can't just be left to the south stand.

I think the main difference between the BBG and PP apart from the seats and the fact it was usually a ground full of working class blokes letting off steam is that we had the Popside and the Ossie end and they would compete with each other to be heard. Later on we also had the C stand lads joining in and the key club would also try and have a go. We need the singing to bounce from stand to stand to get anywhere near what it was years ago.

I distinctly remember shouting between 1970 and 1979. I stopped after i went onto the ozzo end for a sing song, only to discover that it was full of 15 year old boys flicking each others ears. 

B4 can do my shouting.

(Although when i saw him he had his headphones on and didn't look like he'd say boo to a goose).

Ok, so there was no atmosphere in the concourse at Norwich until me, that Tyler who does vlogs and the lad with no shirt and his mates got it going. 

Some other fans looking at us nervously like we're deranged.

As it happens, we were all sat within 10 seats of each other in the stand.

There was your atmosphere. 10 ducking loud voices that wouldn't stop. 50 or so supporting each chant. And probably the same coming from the other side.

Too many betas in the crowd.

Too many who don't want to sing to get it going. Only join in when it is loud enough your voice gets lost in it.

Waste of time talking about it improving. The kind of fan you need doesn't exist in big enough numbers. And the numbers you need aren't even that big. 

It will never improve.

Too easy to make noise at 3-4.

But at home? Forget it.

I thought the home atmosphere at Carrow Road was quite good on Saturday. 

Their flags at the start helped bring colour and as a result good noise to their stand behind the goal which crept into the side/corner (Think they call it the snakepit) opposite where us away fans were sat. Almost in a C stand style.

I liked that they had a variation of different shapes and style flags. One in particular caught my eye was a big one with material of their Asics kit from back in the Bryan Gunn and Chris Sutton days with the yellow background and green flecks. 

Could we do something similar with our old Bass shirts or other classic kits from over the years. I personally would love Umbro to bring back our old light blue squared/checkerboard kit from early 90s and a big flag of this would be class.

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

Too many who don't want to sing to get it going. Only join in when it is loud enough your voice gets lost in it.

Waste of time talking about it improving. The kind of fan you need doesn't exist in big enough numbers.

I think you're probably right there.

Back in the day it was a different crowd. Football has been gentrified by price increases, all seater stadia, families, corporate events etc etc. When i went to Old Trafford i expected to see gangs of yobs patrolling the ground looking for away fans. What i found was well-to-do tourists taking selfies.

times have changed.

Going to the match for many has turned into a social event some seem more interested in their phones or tablets and wouldn't be able to name half the players , free season tickets for under 12s is great but the majority are with their dads/mums in the South stand so hardly surprising the a atmospheres not great, not many ten year olds with loud deepish voices.

Archived