Loan Return Planning

robglosta

In Wilson and Mount (and Tomori with Davies out), we have 3 top quality loans that go straight into the XI when fit. 

How do we plan for these returning to their parent clubs in a way which doesn’t make us weaker? 

If we assume they’re here until Summer, then should we look at potential lower league replacements to start blooding (similar to a ‘midfield Marriott’), so we gradually get a settled team of players we actually own? 

Or would you be looking at the next Mount/Wilson and Lampard to pull on his contacts for the start of next season? 

I’m most interested in this discussion if we don’t go up, as it’s likely we’d keep all 3 on loan/signed for a crack at the Prem. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll just pick another couple from chelski or a couple of their rejects.

they have a couple who are currently going to be out of contract next summer - joshua grant and george mceachran - however i suspect they will get signed up again. The thing is that they are all going to be good players. Hopefully they haven't all been ruined by millionaire salaries and too much praise too soon like josh mceachran was.

If promoted I reckon we could definitely buy Tomori and possibly Mount for a high fee.... £20mill probably. However, I feel Liverpool will want to keep Wilson and won’t sell him.

If we don’t get promoted I reckon we’d be able to get Tomori back and potentially fight off competition for Mount if Chelsea are willing to let him go on loan again. I reckon we could replace the likes of Wilson with another quality loan e.g Callum Hudson-Odoi ?

9 minutes ago, Fraser_23 said:

If promoted I reckon we could definitely buy Tomori and possibly Mount for a high fee.... £20mill probably. However, I feel Liverpool will want to keep Wilson and won’t sell him.

If we don’t get promoted I reckon we’d be able to get Tomori back and potentially fight off competition for Mount if Chelsea are willing to let him go on loan again. I reckon we could replace the likes of Wilson with another quality loan e.g Callum Hudson-Odoi ?

Pretty much this, if we can't attract them back there are plenty of others of a similar calibre we could attract in the summer. 

The trick is not to fall in love with such players, accept that what they give you now is the extent of their commitment, and look ahead to replace them, either from within or new loans.

Well Chelsea might agree for them to return again unless a lower PL side wants them. They're getting what they need. I mean Mount thrived in Holland and you can see he's going to play at the highest level but right now he's getting tested in this league. He's not smashing it. If they know he'll play most games, that he's playing a role that suits him and he's learning then why would they have a problem. Maybe Mount might fancy new scenery but from the way he's behaved I would have thought another season here doesn't sound too bad?

Tomori is where he belongs. He's a young man playing every week at CB at the top end of the Champ. He's perfectly placed? So again could you see Chelsea having a problem? 

Wilson is a bit more tricky. His best bits show him to be a worthy addition a PL side looking for an impact player with a touch of magic. The bigger picture though is that he plays like a kid on a park. He lacks discipline and has plenty of moments where he's naive. So you'd think while Liverpool would look for him to iron those cracks out they may want to look to loan him out to a higher level if possible. 

I'm not worried about all 3 leaving. People didn't think we'd survive the loss of Rob Hulse. We even survived the loss of Hughes and Ince. We'd cope. We'd have to.

I think even if they never return that what they've done is show us what we need in our squad. They fit the "type". All three have slotted in so Lampard could focus on finding similar players. So having them here and not getting promoted wouldn't be a total waste of time for us. 

But at the end of the day these are players with the quality we can't afford. They're only here because they're own teams can't risk putting their naivety in their own teams. Because they are developing that talent. Hence why we put up with their daft moments. There will always be players available for loan. Failing that we may have to sacrifice some of that wonderful technique in favour of smarter players. Streetwise players. 

In short, I'm not worried.

But I don't think any will be for sale. Not even Tomori. We see his mistakes as costing us points but for the Chelsea scouts I guess they see him getting educated. He's a class player that lacks a concentration and has some of these clever strikers losing him. They've been doing it years, people like Sharp. Look at our own David Nugent for a crafty fecker that reads the game well. 

3 minutes ago, kingsy1884 said:

These players dont grow on trees. If they go back they are almost irreplaceable in thier current guise. 

Hudson-odoi could do well as a replacement for Wilson. Thats about it really.

It happens to vitesse arnhem every season.

This year they've got musonda and clark-salter

last season they had mount and colkett

Season before that they had miazga and solanke

Before that izzy brown and lewis baker

before that mceachran, wallace and traore.....

etc

If promoted, the strategy will have have to be to try to stay up by hook or by crook, but just being a PL side helps you sign PL players.

So, this discussion being more if we don't go up, I think we should look at loans again, but only top draw ones, having jodi Morris certainly helps this not only from players he may still know of, but his experience of which ones make it but balance that with bringing in our players such as Marriott and Holmes. Strategically, balance and only loan impossible to ignore ability, sign sensibly with some regard for value, overall keep squad to manageable size and budget.

Having three loans work out at well as first choice first team players I suspect is a happy but unusual situation which could've turned aukwrd if they'd been poo in our team.

These are very good young players that if they were not loans other sides would be looking to steal from us , could we keep them if not promoted ? Would they move to a top 6 side even if we were promoted ,yes we would be looking at a fee to sell them and perhaps replace as best we can but they are loans we could look to replace with other loans so in short the loan thing is not too much different to them being ours in terms of playing matters

10 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

These players dont grow on trees. If they go back they are almost irreplaceable in thier current guise. 

Hudson-odoi could do well as a replacement for Wilson. Thats about it really.

The same Hudson-odoi that's going to Bayern Munich for 20 mil?

We are a long way of even thinking about it but if everything worked in our favour and we went up tomori would be straightforward to buy because they would sell and mount and Wilson would probably be allowed to us on loan in the premiership but that would use up all our premiership loans on youngsters 

23 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We are a long way of even thinking about it but if everything worked in our favour and we went up tomori would be straightforward to buy because they would sell and mount and Wilson would probably be allowed to us on loan in the premiership but that would use up all our premiership loans on youngsters 

Are we only allowed 2 loans in the prem?

5 hours ago, Archied said:

These are very good young players that if they were not loans other sides would be looking to steal from us , could we keep them if not promoted ? Would they move to a top 6 side even if we were promoted ,yes we would be looking at a fee to sell them and perhaps replace as best we can but they are loans we could look to replace with other loans so in short the loan thing is not too much different to them being ours in terms of playing matters

Good point.

20 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Why don't we try and propagate home grown talent via our academy rather than rely on loans from other clubs.

Now there's a novel idea. 

Think we are very much trying to do that now by putting in place the kind of investment and focus in the academy that we are ,there is a clear path through now if you are good enough which is the key to recruiting the kind of quality potential that can break through

Archived