George Thorne

Fraser_23

If this is true, then the fact that he doesn't appear to have generated Championship interest justifies the position FL has taken.

Hopefully he can lead Luton to a promotion and return to us as a genuine first team contender next season.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Is it just me thinking he is being under valued / utilised by going to Luton ? Personally I am very surprised Mac and QPR are not in for him 

i cant see much of a ££££ saving on this one 

Depends what you class as much as a saving?

43 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Great move for him to a side that are 2nd in League One and (I believe) play attacking football.

I personally think he’s finished at Championship level but I’d be delighted if he strung some good performances together and proved me wrong.

Me too! he needs to get out there and prove himself. If he can do it with the (maybe very faint) possibility that he could return to us in his previously great form then it's a win-win!

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Is it just me thinking he is being under valued / utilised by going to Luton ? Personally I am very surprised Mac and QPR are not in for him 

i cant see much of a ££££ saving on this one 

QPR are contesting for play off places, not sure we would want to risk sending him there even if they were in for him.

I'll be desperately sad if George can't rediscover at least a decent portion of his early career form. I'm also sad to see him go out on loan but much as I love the guy as a player, the little I've seen of him in the U23's was still short of what would be needed in the 1st team. Pains me to say as much but while his fitness seemed to be improving (he looks far lighter than in the last couple of seasons), his match sharpness just wasn't there. Under Mac he might have been risked but we've seen that even with Frank's key signings like Marriott and Waghorn, if you're not deemed 100% ready to go, you don't get games. 

56 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

QPR are contesting for play off places, not sure we would want to risk sending him there even if they were in for him.

I think we are in the ball game of getting any money in we can and any money we can save on wages and especially so from the ones that are not contributing to the first team squad 

2 hours ago, 86 points said:

I'll be desperately sad if George can't rediscover at least a decent portion of his early career form. I'm also sad to see him go out on loan but much as I love the guy as a player, the little I've seen of him in the U23's was still short of what would be needed in the 1st team. Pains me to say as much but while his fitness seemed to be improving (he looks far lighter than in the last couple of seasons), his match sharpness just wasn't there. Under Mac he might have been risked but we've seen that even with Frank's key signings like Marriott and Waghorn, if you're not deemed 100% ready to go, you don't get games. 

He's going to be a great player for someone - I have faith in that - Just not for us now I don't think

I keep quoting Luke Shaw as an example - He looks back to the player who had so much potential 3 years ago for Utd but has only just got his head right again after that horrific injury

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

He's going to be a great player for someone - I have faith in that - Just not for us now I don't think

I keep quoting Luke Shaw as an example - He looks back to the player who had so much potential 3 years ago for Utd but has only just got his head right again after that horrific injury

Hope you're right mate. Can be a brutal game for some.

6 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

Unfortunately I would argue that 12,500 per game on top of what ever his wages are would mean he would have to be at the standards he was when he first joined and then some. He is no where near that, so makes perfect business sense if true.

Exactly... thats what im trying to say. £12.5k isnt a lot if money if he’s at the top of his game and adds to the match day team. Unfortunately he most probably isnt & its not worth paying it to bed him in if others are ahead of him & he’ll never get back to that sort of form after the injuries  

2 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

Luton fans are blogging that he is going to them for the rest of the season. Hope it works out for all parties.

Hope its true. No where near our first team plans. Be good of he can go on loan to Luton stay fit & play well then come back & potentially work his way in 

8 hours ago, G-Ram said:

Exactly... thats what im trying to say. £12.5k isnt a lot if money if he’s at the top of his game and adds to the match day team. Unfortunately he most probably isnt & its not worth paying it to bed him in if others are ahead of him & he’ll never get back to that sort of form after the injuries  

Would we still have to pay the £12.5k if he plays for someone else on loan? 

I guess not if this is all true, it would be silly otherwise, but if I was West Brom I’d think that was a bit of a cheat. 

It’d be great if this was a back door way to get him match fit and firing on all cylinders again though, ready to come back to us and play like he’s worth the £12.5k a game. 

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Would we still have to pay the £12.5k if he plays for someone else on loan? 

I guess not if this is all true, it would be silly otherwise, but if I was West Brom I’d think that was a bit of a cheat. 

Why would WBA think it was a bit of a cheat?

If reports are to be believed then the deal was structured as £2.75m plus up to £1.25m for up to 100 Derby appearances. A perfectly normal way to structure a deal for a young player.

If the player "fails" at Derby and gets loaned to Bognor Regis or wherever then why would WBA feel cheated out of anything?

If they wanted £4m guaranteed then they would only have sold for £4m guaranteed!

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

If reports are to be believed then the deal was structured as £2.75m plus up to £1.25m for up to 100 Derby appearances. A perfectly normal way to structure a deal for a young player.

If the player "fails" at Derby and gets loaned to Bognor Regis or wherever then why would WBA feel cheated out of anything?

If they wanted £4m guaranteed then they would only have sold for £4m guaranteed!

Fair enough. Just seems a bit of a cheat to use this back door to get him match fit, other trams might have to play him, but we’ve got the luxury of a few players who can play that role now, all more match fit then him (remember the days when all 3 of our cdms were out injured?). But I’m not complaining. 

I do feel really good that this explains why he’s not been in the first team picture at all. Not that he’s just been callously frozen out. And maybe if he can prove his match fitness at Luton, and show that he’s worth the extra money per match, there might be a way back in here for him. 

14 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Fair enough. Just seems a bit of a cheat to use this back door to get him match fit

I get what you're saying but I don't think Derby or WBA would see it like that.

In essence the £1.25m add-on (£12.5k per game for 100 games) is based on successfully making it as a Derby player.

If the player doesn't even make 100 first team appearances for Derby then the initial £2.75m was a more than fair fee from a WBA point of view.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

Now this I'd like to see, i'll be going to see Bognor play on Saturday,  if he gets game time I'll let you know how he did!!B-) 

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

I don't think the deal could have been that - But I'm reading between the lines here

The main complaint Morris had about Rush it seems is that there were a lot of 'hidden' fees/costs built into deals which were never discussed with Morris/whoever else was in the loop at that point

We always knew the deal was £2.75m up to £4m - Pretty sure that was announced at the start - In which case the extra fees wouldn't have been a surprise and wouldn't come into the reckoning on choosing him - Morris/whoever is running the finances now would have known about that and factored it into playing costs for the last 3/4 years so shouldn't be a selection issue...

If it WAS such a major issue why would they have given him a new contract last season fully knowing about the extra fees?

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

If it WAS such a major issue why would they have given him a new contract last season fully knowing about the extra fees?

I said the exact same thing early on in this thread.

I was responding to whether WBA would/should feel cheated that he's off on loan to Bognor Regis!

Archived