George Thorne

Fraser_23

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

Because the aforementioned are not made of glass?

GT has played more minutes than all but two u23s. Hasn't missed a game apart from suspension?

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

It appears Ledley might be .

Fair point! But on a serious note, no manager aspiring to gain promotion to the premier league can plan around a CDM with GT’s injury record. A dozen games with the u23’s sadly doesn’t change the fact that George’s injury record puts him at a huge disadvantage. Which is sad because he’s a classy footballer. 

Suspect George will follow Johnny Russell to America. Johnny might even recommend him to Sporting Kansas.

It worked out well for Giles Barnes, too injury ravaged to play in the English leagues but able to have a good life in the US and a good career in the MLS. Gorgeous George could likely be able to do the same. Much more attractive for someone with his pedigree than dropping down into the lower leagues.

15 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Suspect George will follow Johnny Russell to America. Johnny might even recommend him to Sporting Kansas.

It worked out well for Giles Barnes, too injury ravaged to play in the English leagues but able to have a good life in the US and a good career in the MLS. Gorgeous George could likely be able to do the same. Much more attractive for someone with his pedigree than dropping down into the lower leagues.

League 1, Luton for me

33 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

He has also got a brother out there, so it might not be so far fetched to think that. 

4 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I see Sam Rush is taking a bit of a knocking in this saga.

The transfer was set out clearly in the court documents as £2.75m up front, and a further £12.5k per game upto a maximum total of £4m.

A maximum of £4m for the George Thorne we'd signed at that time was a bloody bargain, and a masterpiece of negotiation.

You can blame Sam Rush for lots of things if you wish, but I don't think many would have moaned about that transfer fee at the time we agreed it.

Agreed, we’re looking at this with hindsight.

As you say at the time this looked like a good deal and we weren’t expecting him to have the bad luck with injuries he’s had to endure.

8 hours ago, derbydaz22 said:

No chance are we going to win the FA cup and we need to keep our best players injury free for the Leeds game. 

There isn’t much chance of us winning the FA Cup, I agree, but while there is a sliver of hope we have to go for it. 

Promotion is easy (relatively) we have been promoted 4 times in my short lifetime....there is only @uttoxram75 and @eddie (happy new year boys) that we’re around when we won the FA cup...

Despite what I posted about hoping George would go to the MLS, I've been told he's moving to Luton (and has already left so this should be announced soon). So it turns out @The Arch Deaconwas right. Good luck to the lad. He definitely had to move to prove his fitness and remind the world of his ability.

Butterfield has several suitors besides Hull, so that will likely take longer to be resolved. 

28 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Despite what I posted about hoping George would go to the MLS, I've been told he's moving to Luton (and has already left so this should be announced soon). So it turns out @The Arch Deaconwas right. Good luck to the lad. He definitely had to move to prove his fitness and remind the world of his ability.

Great move for him to a side that are 2nd in League One and (I believe) play attacking football.

I personally think he’s finished at Championship level but I’d be delighted if he strung some good performances together and proved me wrong.

9 hours ago, G-Ram said:

I dont think we won't be playing him solely because its £12,500 a game. Lets be realistic £12.5k is an absolute pittance in footballing terms  

Unfortunately I would argue that 12,500 per game on top of what ever his wages are would mean he would have to be at the standards he was when he first joined and then some. He is no where near that, so makes perfect business sense if true.

Archived