George Thorne

Fraser_23

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Alpha said:

Don't know the stuff about payments but as for not getting picked... It's been a long long time since Thorne looked up to speed. He's as slow to recover as Hudds and he gets caught in possession. His passing isn't what it was.

I get that he needs game time to get up to speed and it's not his fault that he hasn't been fit to play. But it's not any of the coaching staff either. They have to pick the squad that they believe give us the best chance and if Thorne isn't match fit then what they supposed to do with him? The harsh reality is that they don't owe him anything. He didn't play well at all in his friendly appearance. He was rubbish. He didn't play well under Clement or anyone since really. He's not hit those levels of Mac 1. 

Which manager brought him back from injury and then played him on a Saturday and then on a Tuesday night? Was it Mac? That manager perhaps owes him a chance because that seemed madness.

But if Thorne isn't in these plans, and why would he be, then what else they meant to do with him?

I really don't get the payment thing but if any contracts are breached then he should be off to get legal advice. 

George Thorne had a really good 15/16 season till he broke his leg .  If he hadn't have broke his leg we wouldn't have lost to Hull and had a very good chance of beating Wednesday .   Thorne's entire Derby career has not consisted of 15 good games in 13/14. I agree if he isn't going to play he needs to move - but I still think it will come back to bite us on the arse.

I just hope that George isn't excluded because of some silly wrangle over a deal he didn't negotiate.

did he disappear from the first team around the same time that sam rush went?

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I just hope that George isn't excluded because of some silly wrangle over a deal he didn't negotiate.

did he disappear from the first team around the same time that sam rush went?

Thorne last played on the 30th March vs Sunderland. Just days before that game, a lot of Derby vs Rush stuff came out in the media. 

Whether Thorne can return to his previous levels is probably irrelevant as it would appear FL has no intention of selecting him for the matchday squad. It'll be interesting to see how he performs at his next club that's for sure.

When does his contract expire? 

54 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

If its true that he isn't near the squad due to financial reasons then isn't that borderline illegal/discrimination of some kind.

I'm assuming they're still paying his basic salary and anything else they're contractually obliged to be paying.

Nothing discriminatory at all, he doesn't have to play, Frank doesn't have to pick him. It could never be illegal for a club not to pick a player unless some nugget had put a guaranteed play if fit clause in the contract.

7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Not many should have ever played again after that game to be honest 

That game, Keogh being stripped of the captaincy and dropped, only for us to lose 3-1 to Burton two games after did at least prove how pointless cries for a change of captaincy are and that it’s a total red herring.

Results picked up when we ACTUALLY did something and changed the system. 

If Thorne is that bothered about playing 1st team football, he'll have 14 days from the end of this regular season to cancel his contract and take his chances elsewhere.

Be interesting to see if he takes that chance, assuming he doesn't force his way into the 1st team.

Archived