Goals Against

FindernRam

On 31/12/2018 at 17:03, BobbyD said:

Playing football at school, or in pub teams , you would be absolutely lambasted if you allowed a cross to get over when you were a full back. It was shameful . The utter lowest of the low. Your teamates would be scandalised and up in arms.

Wonder why it is different when you play the game today for a living ?

Absolutely; the full-back position seems to have evolved into being more of an attacking outlet and in that process the game generally seems to place less emphasis on full-backs stopping crosses. First and foremost fullbacks should stop crosses and only venture forward when it is appropriate. Stop the ball coming into the box from wide areas and you go a long way to preventing goals against. The statistician in me wants to get hold of some data and see how we compare...my perception is that we have conceded a disproportionately higher amount of goals from opposition crosses...does the data bear that out?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Ellafella said:

my perception is that we have conceded a disproportionately higher amount of goals from opposition crosses...does the data bear that out?

My eyes tell me that's the case, don't always trust the data-when is a cross a shot or a mishit pass etc. Whatever- if its its in the air we're vulnerable.

So far we have conceded 32 in the league and 5 in the carabo cup (prior to southampton)

10 from crosses from the left

5 from crosses from right

3 from corners

2 from free kicks

1 penalty

8 from central attacks

4 from balls over the top

4 others

Interesting that we don't concede many from corners. At one time that was a weakness.

left means from left wing i.e v right back etc

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

So far we have conceded 32 in the league and 5 in the carabo cup (prior to southampton)

10 from crosses from the left

5 from crosses from right

3 from corners

2 from free kicks

1 penalty

8 from central attacks

4 from balls over the top

4 others

And a partridge in a pear tree

Archived