Vs Middlesbrough (home). Matchday thread.

Rev

Decent point and a decent performance against a team who we often struggle against home or away.

Wisdom did really well which was good to see, he even showed some positive attacking intent which he’s lacked recently. Thought the rest of the defence did well too.

Evans did well and looks a good fit in the defensive midfield, however Mount and Wilson (goal aside) looked like they were trying to force it too much and were giving away possession needlessly. 

Marriott will be feeling that tackle for the next few days and Saville could quite easily have gone.

Feels like a bit of a missed opportunity, but if you’d given me this position in he summer I’d have been happy with it!

forgot to mention Holmes he was very good and gave us some much needed pace and direct attacking. Shame about Nuge’s change too, two years ago he would have buried that!

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Wrightdcfc said:

A fifa 2019 what? You don't make sense lad. 

Of course the boy genius has never made a typo.

. Your comment was pathetic. Ok so Nugent is now an impact sub and his days are numbered, yes he has fluffed 2 chances but so have others, you only have to look at our goals per game to know that. Nuge is also a pretty good leader and even if his efforts aren’t going in the net then he is making opportunities for others. You are typical of the short sighted minority; too quick to jump on the back of a player because of a couple of errors. I don’t rate that kind of attitude as support and, while you might class it as an opinion, I don’t. It’s a destructive comment that adds nothing to intelligent debate. 

3 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Sponsors man of the match is Marriott. Now, I love Jack to bits, but he's been poor today. Struggled to hold the ball up and all his little flick ons and lay offs have gone straight to Boro players 

I think the guys on here who went chose Jack - will await on the lads to clarify ?

34 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Will Hughes has been out injured but made a start in Watfords' last match - don't think there's anything doing there. Still think Barry Bannan would make a difference to how we play from the back.

Always liked Bannan a good little playmaker at this level but must be around 30 and on big wages I would have thought.

Definitely more positives than negatives today. Thought Lampard summed it up well when he said we let Boro off the hook.

We flew out the traps and had we kept playing like that we’d have scored more goals, boro just couldn’t cope. We then took our foot off the gas, not helped by a couple of breaks from boro started by us giving the ball away (Wilson a big culprit) and Boro managed to impose their game on us, making it scrappy, congesting the midfield. They were organised pressed well and left no space in between the lines for us to exploit. We tried to force things by going long and surrendered the ball, playing into their hands. Boro controlled the middle part of the game and probably deserved to be ahead. Earlier in the season this pattern wouldve continued and we would probably have lost the game, however helped by the introduction of Holmes we re-took control of the game and finished the last 25 mins how we started and should’ve won it ourselves with the Nuge chance.

The fact we came through a tough period in the game and finished strongly against a promotion rival is a huge positive for me.

Draw was fair and a good result against a rival considering the other scores today. Frustrating yes, but think @Alpha was spot on when he highlighted game management being the main issue today, but then that’s typical of where we’re at right now with this young side.

That being said, well in the playoffs with Leeds to play followed by 6 extremely winnable games in a row. We’re in a great position.

Agree both full backs did well today, Holmes was a real positive, Hudds looked good when he came on. Much better from flo jo but not sure it’s enough to keep his place,Waggy struggled and don’t think Evans had a great game either though both were probably having their best spells in the game when taken off.

10 minutes ago, jono said:

Of course the boy genius has never made a typo.

. Your comment was pathetic. Ok so Nugent is now an impact sub and his days are numbered, yes he has fluffed 2 chances but so have others, you only have to look at our goals per game to know that. Nuge is also a pretty good leader and even if his efforts aren’t going in the net then he is making opportunities for others. You are typical of the short sighted minority; too quick to jump on the back of a player because of a couple of errors. I don’t rate that kind of attitude as support and, while you might class it as an opinion, I don’t. It’s a destructive comment that adds nothing to intelligent debate. 

Look I love Nuge I love his enthusiasm, style and his overall character. However, after missing ample opportunities to prove himself in the squad he has fault to do so and costs us big games. If those balls fell to an in form, young hungry striker (Jack Marriott) he would of buried it. I just feel these players Nuge, Bryson etc have had their day and no longer have the quality to deliver at Derby.

11 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

Always liked Bannan a good little playmaker at this level but must be around 30 and on big wages I would have thought.

I would love to see Bannan in a Derby shirt and I feel we need some grit and experience in midfield. 

Think it's generally agreed that since Wisdom joined us his strength was very much the defensive side of his game, aerial ability and powerful in the tackle but was often found wanting in the top 3rd of the pitch. I can only recall his cross at Barnsley onto Martins' head as being a quality delivery.

Today, particularly in the 2nd half was a real eye opener, playing little triangles with Holmes and surges down the left then putting in inviting crosses - the one for Nugent was a sitter - and he reminded me very much of the Fozzy of 3 or 4 years ago. 

Having brought Lowe back it seems logical that he slots into the LB role with Wisdom replacing Bogle at RB. That's not a criticism of young Bogle who's done brilliantly for his first season but maybe it's time to give the lad a rest for a while. We can maintain an attacking threat from fullback but mostly down our left flank rather than our right.

Easy this management game innit.

Well I walked away today feeling frustrated. After an amazing start I don’t remember Randolf making a save? Our midfield got bullied, (we desperately need a Besic, Howson, etc type player) Carson lumped balls up to Marriott who has no chance vs Ayala and we won very little of the second balls from the lumping. If we’re going to lump balls long, why don’t we aim them towards Waghorn? Mount drifts in and out of the game and is not a playmaker. We had very little spark until Holmes came on. In the end a I think we were very lucky to get a point. 

6 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Well I walked away today feeling frustrated. After an amazing start I don’t remember Randolf making a save? Our midfield got bullied, (we desperately need a Besic, Howson, etc type player) Carson lumped balls up to Marriott who has no chance vs Ayala and we won very little of the second balls from the lumping. If we’re going to lump balls long, why don’t we aim them towards Waghorn? Mount drifts in and out of the game and is not a playmaker. We had very little spark until Holmes came on. In the end a I think we were very lucky to get point. 

Had you left before the Nugent save ? 

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Great start and some good football. But as against norwich we started giving the ball away. I counted seven misplaced passes from wilson, mount, waghorn, bogle and others. The foul on marriott just before half time was outrageous, and limited his effectiveness in the second half.

holmes was warming up when wilson was injured so i was staggered to see huddlestone come on. Any idea that huddz might counter their physicality is  misplaced because he is such a big girl's blouse. that change really set us back. Evans and huddz were doing the same job with the added disadvantage that huddz is slow, casual and counter productive. He gave the ball away sloppily and that led ultimately to their goal. Holmes was brilliant when he was introduced, and we might just have snatched a game we should have dominated. Boro are crap, so i'm strangely encouraged. Ayala is such a donkey but Friend - as so often before - has that bit of quality to deliver a great ball right onto hugill's bonce.

Wisdom was immense. Unbelievable that someone said he was poor. Tomori played well. wilsons absense demonstrated how important he has become to the midfield. Hopefully marriott suffered no lasting damage from the attempted leg-breaker. 

Yes he was. Many people’s MotM. Looked unstoppable. Good to see him back with hunger. 

1 hour ago, JJMSports32 said:

I think the guys on here who went chose Jack - will await on the lads to clarify ?

Huge thank you for the tickets today boss, me and the step dad had a great time!!! 

Also no we didn't chose MOTM, was Tomori all day for me haha

Disappointed we didn't win today especially after taking an early lead and not having won at theirs earlier this season.

However it's a point against a top six side who are hard to grind down and plenty will struggle against them.

We look capable of finishing in the play offs which most thought wouldn't be achieved the end of last season and we are certainly still capable of achieving a top two spot, considering we haven't really strung a consistent run of wins together.

Let's get behind the team ,remember it's Frank s first job and I am sure he is learning after every game.

3 hours ago, Inglorius said:

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but I've not seen anything so far with over half the season gone to suggest we're Top 2 material.  

Sonething totally radical will have to change for us to do that and I simply can't see any evidence as yet for that to happen. 

We need consistency and the killer instinct. The Wilson substitution unsettled us today. However our form hasn't been bad against the top 6 taking 4 points from Norwich, 3 from Sheffield United and West Brom, and drawing both games with Boro.

A couple of new faces might help. Leeds aren't infallible. They have lost two in a row and will have a player suspended for our game. In addition Saiz has moved to Spain on loan and Roof is coveted by a few Premier league clubs.

Archived