The winger conundrum

RamNut

19 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Surely it makes complete sense that a player coming back from hamstring injury is being brought back cautiously because if he pulls up with it he’s going to be out longer?

I’d have Waghorn in my 11 every time but it doesn’t take much thought as to why they’ve been cautious with him. It’s frustrating yes, but going straight into making up that it’s personal is laughable 

That seems reasonable, has Lampard said that then?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/12/2018 at 15:21, TexasRam said:

Stop playing 433? 

Agree with this. At the moment we haven’t got the players or control in midfield to get the most out of the formation. For now, we should play 4–2-3-1 which would allow us to play two holding midfielders- Huddlestone and Evans, with Waghorn, Mount and Wilson having “free” roles to interchange behind Marriott.

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Agree with this. At the moment we haven’t got the players or control in midfield to get the most out of the formation. For now, we should play 4–2-3-1 which would allow us to play two holding midfielders- Huddlestone and Evans, with Waghorn, Mount and Wilson having “free” roles to interchange behind Marriott.

You are very entitled to your opinion my friend but what qualifies you to be so sure?

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You are very entitled to your opinion my friend but what qualifies you to be so sure?

Not really sure what you’re asking me here? If it’s to do with the control aspect, we struggle to keep the ball in midfield in the crucial moments of the game which leads to Keogh and Tomori taking responsibility and sometimes panicking with possession(not their fault). Let’s take the stoke game as an example(one of many games), after Wilson scored, we should have kept the ball and kept piling the pressure on them because they had ten men. Instead, we treated the ball like a hot potato and couldn’t keep it. In my opinion we lack a Thorne and Hughes(of the 13/14 or latter 15/16 team in the brief spell) to keep the ball in crucial moments and to see games out and to keep a game ticking over. Someone to take the sting out of a game too. Wilson and Mount are good, but their first thought is to attack, which is natural for them being forwarding thinking players. Someone like Bannan would help in the control aspect.

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

The return of Evans makes this an option now, rather than having to play Johnson there, which I wouldn’t be keen on.

On 28/12/2018 at 14:12, Westcumbrianram said:

When will people realise waghorn isn't a winger. Waghorn should be sharing the striker role with Marriott. A new winger or wingers is a must. Plenty of options on loan. 

He had the best form of his career playing wide last season.

On 29/12/2018 at 21:13, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I suppose if we all respond with this quote when anyone raises a topic, that will be the end of the topic?

29 minutes ago, KCG said:

I suppose if we all respond with this quote when anyone raises a topic, that will be the end of the topic?

My favourite is when someone makes a reply, and hints at the very high level they've played/coached the game at, as if that makes a different opinion somehow less valid!

We haven't had one of those for quite a while though, which is a pity.

24 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

My favourite is when someone makes a reply, and hints at the very high level they've played/coached the game at, as if that makes a different opinion somehow less valid!

I don't know whether this answers your point @reveldevil but when I played at the equivalent of League 1 the manager would regularly change formation depending on who was available and what their best position was. It's a trick FL ought to try instead of leaving his midfield wide open game after game after game. 

Now that I coach at a semi-pro team, it's something I've taken on board because I can see the benefits. The 433 Lampard insists on playing doesn't work with the players he has at his disposal, and I can see that another system would work because I've experienced it.

5 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I don't know whether this answers your point @reveldevil but when I played at the equivalent of League 1 the manager would regularly change formation depending on who was available and what their best position was. It's a trick FL ought to try instead of leaving his midfield wide open game after game after game. 

Now that I coach at a semi-pro team, it's something I've taken on board because I can see the benefits. The 433 Lampard insists on playing doesn't work with the players he has at his disposal, and I can see that another system would work because I've experienced it.

Works better when it's someone with no posting history, who suddenly appears spouting tactical or technical musings and shouts down others based on his obviously superior knowledge and understanding.

The most recent one was the poster who told us all our youth players were crap, and he knew this because he was part of the youth set up.

Nice try though.

38 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Have we not? Didn't one poster recently claim to have 2 coaching badges?

19 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Have we not? Didn't one poster recently claim to have 2 coaching badges?

I must have missed that one. 

To be fair, the level one FA badge basically says you're not a psychopath or danger to the kids you coach.

I was about to go on the course myself, then subbed off a kid I'd bought on only 5 minutes earlier, because he wasn't putting the in the effort I wanted during a top of the table encounter, against a team we had no right to compete with.

I realised then it wasn't for me.

I don't think my lad spoke to me for 3 months afterwards, and rightly so!

31 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I must have missed that one. 

To be fair, the level one FA badge basically says you're not a psychopath or danger to the kids you coach.

I was about to go on the course myself, then subbed off a kid I'd bought on only 5 minutes earlier, because he wasn't putting the in the effort I wanted during a top of the table encounter, against a team we had no right to compete with.

I realised then it wasn't for me.

I don't think my lad spoke to me for 3 months afterwards, and rightly so!

Wasn't FA badges, it was fifa badges. Leave you to decide what that means ?

12 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Works better when it's someone with no posting history, who suddenly appears spouting tactical or technical musings and shouts down others based on his obviously superior knowledge and understanding.

The most recent one was the poster who told us all our youth players were crap, and he knew this because he was part of the youth set up.

Nice try though.

I have actually coached for 12 years, but youth footie up to U19. And I've got various badges. But that doesn't sound as impressive. Or mean I have a clue what I'm talking about. 

• 1 month later...
On 28/12/2018 at 14:12, Westcumbrianram said:

When will people realise waghorn isn't a winger. Waghorn should be sharing the striker role with Marriott. A new winger or wingers is a must. Plenty of options on loan. 

On 29/12/2018 at 21:41, Duracell said:

He had the best form of his career playing wide last season.

Beat form for Derby up top.

Archived