Missing a hold up man

DCFC27

2 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Pull up a steamer chair and relax on deck for a while. Captain Lampard is navigating his way through a bit of chop.

Here hoping we're not all aboard the Herald of Free Enterprise.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Most passes between his chin and his feet played into Martin usually resulted in us either turning the opposition, or playing around them pronto.

I loved that period and I loved that man. You're right, we did stop doing it and started punting it up, or asking him to nip down channels and chase, which isn't his game.

I don't think it's so much the striker we're employing now which is the problem, more the lack of accuracy on long passes into them. It's all a bit panicked at the moment, so we're seeing too many hopeful passes played into the channels relying on Marriott forcing a mistake.

We could have Messi or Mitrovic up front, but unless we give them better service it won't make any difference.

Being a madman, I'd have Martin at the tip of a diamond, or as one of two ahead of that, but the time for Chris seems to have been and gone.

Aye fully agree. The panicky play comes from the lack of room we get to play in. The amount of teams who play against us with 10 men behind the ball and move from left to right in a square formation is not surprising, but it’s been happening since Mac1’s second season and that we still havent found a way around it is staggering for me. Your right it’s not necessarily a striker but someone who is can get on the ball, take a touch or two and spot the runs is vital to me. That could be a DM, CM or a CF (and hence why people will constantly mention Thorne/Martin because they were never replaced with anything better which is an unfortunate reality and frustration. Times have changed, and they have as players, but when we have seen what they can do and what this team potentially needs then it should be allowed to be discussed).

The season were Chris Martin was our focal point we played some of our best football,with Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick/Russell looking for the knock ons etc.However the down side to that way of playing and what caught up with us in the end its easy to nullify and if you have no plan B your doomed

The idea of the system is for the two wingers to tuck inside and act as the initial ball into the front three.

And thus it’s no surprise to my mind that our spell of the season was with Waghorn in the side. He’s absolutely vital in my opinion.

Him holding it up, Mount and Wilson rotating and confusing the opposition defence and Marriott stretching the game seems fairly balanced to me.

13 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Maybe give the thread a read and see what people are actually saying...

2D649A4F-67A9-4FC4-833A-C17BE743964D.jpeg

Have read it just as I have read all the other Martin threads ,,,, it may be a caterpillar now but we all know there’s a butterfly on the way it just takes a little longer for the transition because Martin has fallen so far down the performances ladder that it’s hard to justify him being the caterpillar now ,let alone the butterfly 

It’s not a Martin thread, it’s a thread about having someone up top that can bring other players into play, Martin was the last striker we had that could do that so I said a player like him or Mitrovic from Fulham.  

Im not saying bring either of them in, I mean go and find one that can and I feel there would be a lot more balance to the team.  

At the moment we only have one way to play and that’s from the back. When we are forced to go long we’re hitting it straight to there CBs or it’s sailing over Marriott head. Marriotts a brilliant finisher but he isn’t going to bully CBs in that way he terrfys them with his pace and pressure. 

Archived