Missing a hold up man

DCFC27

9 minutes ago, David said:

Me neither.

Compared with Leeds as it’s the day for it.

9736D93C-19A8-43AB-A098-C3E1EB96E22E.jpeg

323149AE-FFC1-4D31-BCBB-C80645E1DD89.jpeg

How much of that 27% is in and around the opposition box though?

Isn’t it showing we are getting down the wings with no end product? Maybe because we are crossing when we aren’t getting players in the best position to cross?

EDIT: wrote that just looking at the Derby bits, and going on what we’ve seen at games, without really looking at the Leeds bit. But surely that still shows the mugginess of that stat still because Leeds are scoring more and getting in better positions?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think I posted yesterday in the matchday thread, but we are just desperate for someone who’s comfortable on the ball and can find a bit of space to play. I don’t think the actual position (CM or CF) matters that much. Just someone who can looks to keep hold of the ball!

If we are looking at someone with experience of doing that (well) in this league then Bannan.

1 hour ago, DcfcJB said:

Martin or Mitrovic type

Oh that type of player!

I'm not sure which I'd prefer tbh, they're much of a muchness. Except one of them is a 24 year old £20m Premier League class powerhouse who would blast us out of this league and the other is a 30 year old has been of questionable attitude who can't get a kick at Hull, not to mention a goal.

27 minutes ago, David said:

Me neither.

Compared with Leeds as it’s the day for it.

9736D93C-19A8-43AB-A098-C3E1EB96E22E.jpeg

323149AE-FFC1-4D31-BCBB-C80645E1DD89.jpeg

Interesting statistic that is.. similarly we rely on our full backs getting forward to create chances and yes a hold up centre forward would be realistic but would need to have pace to keep up with play (balls in the box). Something Martin lacks 

All we need is another midfielder who can tackle and dictate the play or a left back or a striker who can hold the ball up or a central defender.....how many players has Lampard brought in during his brief stint so far yet we still need another one just to fill that missing piece of the jigsaw to turn us from playoff hopefuls into Top 2 material, how many times have I heard that refrain yet we are still no closer to automatic promotion candidates it's totally delusional.

I did a vector analysis of pass direction and player movement, and then ran those stats through some trend analysis software, to generate success rate probability curves with variable input data. I then ran the resultant probability model over 24 hours through a network of computers to give a very precise statistical assessment of our play, our pass completion, and our space-time positional awareness allowing for different line ups, opposition strengths, and that sort of thing. The results were fascinating. I was able to assess strengths, weaknesses, win potential, and ultimate best line up, i was also to determine the root cause of any real or imagined failure to maximise our success.

The results are just coming out now.......

Aah......

Its keoghs fault apparently

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Martin at his best was holding up the ball though when we were playing balls into his feet with Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick/Russell/award running off him. It was the lumping it up in his general direction that stopped that.

Maybe your right, but a striker who we can get the ball to and can bring others in I do think is necessary at the moment.

Most passes between his chin and his feet played into Martin usually resulted in us either turning the opposition, or playing around them pronto.

I loved that period and I loved that man. You're right, we did stop doing it and started punting it up, or asking him to nip down channels and chase, which isn't his game.

I don't think it's so much the striker we're employing now which is the problem, more the lack of accuracy on long passes into them. It's all a bit panicked at the moment, so we're seeing too many hopeful passes played into the channels relying on Marriott forcing a mistake.

We could have Messi or Mitrovic up front, but unless we give them better service it won't make any difference.

Being a madman, I'd have Martin at the tip of a diamond, or as one of two ahead of that, but the time for Chris seems to have been and gone.

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

We could have Messi or Mitrovic up front, but unless we give them better service it won't make any difference.

Being a madman, I'd have Martin at the tip of a diamond, or as one of two ahead of that, but the time for Chris seems to have been and gone.

You are a madman Revo. If we had Messi or Mitrovic up front we'd build our attacking play around them and we'd be amazing. Same if we had Chris Martin from 1992 or whenever it was - he was awesome, everything went though him. 

But 1992 Chris is dead. 2018 is 26 years past his best. He can't get into the Hull side because he's always pissed.

It's over.

9 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

You are a madman Revo. If we had Messi or Mitrovic up front we'd build our attacking play around them and we'd be amazing. Same if we had Chris Martin from 1992 or whenever it was - he was awesome, everything went though him. 

But 1992 Chris is dead. 2018 is 26 years past his best. He can't get into the Hull side because he's always pissed.

It's over.

Even pissed he'd be better than Nugent.

I like Dave, he's a real character, love the way he sticks his thumbs up in thanks as another 50 yd ball sails over his head and into touch.

I'm not arguing for Martin's return, that tanker has left port, probably to be scuttled at sea, but please someone find a chart that enables us to navigate these stormy waters, at the moment it seems like Uncle Albert has plotted a course.

No idea why I went Nautical there, but our football recently leaves no chance of Seaman stains.

3 hours ago, DcfcJB said:

All I feel this team is really missing is a hold up striker, (Martin or Mitrovic type) we are a ball playing team and Frank seems to have us playing great football on the ground and from the back but we also give it away so often when we cant play short either we try a dodgy pass into midfield or we hit it long to Marriott who just isn't that type of striker and we loose the ball too often.

Getting one might be the difference for us as it was for Fulham last year.  

Yes we need to hold the ball somewhere so why not up front

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think a quality, mobile central midfielder who can tackle and dictate play would be my priority......

Yes - I don’t where or who would be available and fancy the job 

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Martin never really held the ball up though.

He earned free kicks, and his ability to find a pass from a long ball forward was top class, but rarely held onto a long punt forward himself.

The way we've been playing recently, he'd be just as isolated and frustrated as Marriott.

Imagine Martin winning free kicks for Wilson to go at ! 

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Even pissed he'd be better than Nugent.

I like Dave, he's a real character, love the way he sticks his thumbs up in thanks as another 50 yd ball sails over his head and into touch.

I'm not arguing for Martin's return, that tanker has left port, probably to be scuttled at sea, but please someone find a chart that enables us to navigate these stormy waters, at the moment it seems like Uncle Albert has plotted a course.

No idea why I went Nautical there, but our football recently leaves no chance of Seaman stains.

Don't mean to be stern, but I think the Hull reference was working subliminally.

p.s. Whats all this over the poop deck?

1 hour ago, reveldevil said:

Pull up a steamer chair and relax on deck for a while. Captain Lampard is navigating his way through a bit of chop.

Don’t think the lack of a hold up man is the problem, Marriott is deceptively good at it if you get the ball up to him. Certainly ain’t the time to bring back the has been Martin, any mention of that is pure nostalgia and not being realistic about the bloke who’s scored about 3 goals in as many years...

The problem is, there’s never any bloody options for Marriott to pass to. Even Martin at his best couldn’t hold up the ball to bring others in play if there ain’t anyone nearby. And that comes from the fact we’ve started to panic and lump it and stop passing through midfield since we seem incapable of moving/holding onto the ball IN MIDFIELD well enough and fast enough to do so. All philopshy seems to have gone out the window and reverted to some btec Rowett style. What we really need is strength in midfield instead of Craig “run away from the tackle” Bryson and worlds paciest man Huddlestone. And of course to actually play our number 9 hold up winger rather than a right winger on left wing. 

Archived