Missing a hold up man

DCFC27

All I feel this team is really missing is a hold up striker, (Martin or Mitrovic type) we are a ball playing team and Frank seems to have us playing great football on the ground and from the back but we also give it away so often when we cant play short either we try a dodgy pass into midfield or we hit it long to Marriott who just isn't that type of striker and we loose the ball too often.

Getting one might be the difference for us as it was for Fulham last year.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

All I feel this team is really missing is a hold up striker, (Martin or Mitrovic type) we are a ball playing team and Frank seems to have us playing great football on the ground and from the back but we also give it away so often when we cant play short either we try a dodgy pass into midfield or we hit it long to Marriott who just isn't that type of striker and we loose the ball too often.

I think a quality, mobile central midfielder who can tackle and dictate play would be my priority......

It would be great to get both but we give the ball away so much when we have to go long either it goes over marriotts head or Carson kicks it out of play trying to play it to the left or right back. If we can make it stick up there I don't think we'd need a midfielder half as much as it looks now. 

57 minutes ago, DcfcJB said:

Spot on.

Soms will try and shut down any suggestion of Chris Martin, and maybe in current form he isn’t the answer, but we are calling out for someone who’s comfortable on the ball in the opposition half to being Mount, Wilson, Lawrence, Josefzoon etc into play in dangerous positions and not surrounded by opposition players like now. I keep saying it but we just aren’t playing in the opposition half enough and it exposes our weaknesses defensively because we are under the kosh more so mistakes happen more frequently.

Love Marriott but we just need that other option, thought it was going to be Waghorn but he’s not getting the time there. 

The reasons above is pretty much my argument as to why we should have kept Martin over Nugent...

Martin never really held the ball up though.

He earned free kicks, and his ability to find a pass from a long ball forward was top class, but rarely held onto a long punt forward himself.

The way we've been playing recently, he'd be just as isolated and frustrated as Marriott.

Just as a point while any mention of Martin is largely in jest, maybe let’s not shut down an argument that we aren’t creating and playing enough in opposition halves for extended periods?

Unfortunately Martin’s name will crop up because he was the last player who was able to play with his back to goal and bring others into play and has never really been replaced. Reality is, we need a player who can do this. We have runners and finishers but no real playmakers.

23 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I keep saying it but we just aren’t playing in the opposition half enough and it exposes our weaknesses defensively because we are under the kosh more so mistakes happen more frequently.

Not doubting you here (as never really thought about it) but is this backed up by stats?

Can't say I see us as a team constantly under the kosh.

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

Just as a point while any mention of Martin is largely in jest, maybe let’s not shut down an argument that we aren’t creating and playing enough in opposition halves for extended periods?

Unfortunately Martin’s name will crop up because he was the last player who was able to play with his back to goal and bring others into play and has never really been replaced. Reality is, we need a player who can do this. We have runners and finishers but no real playmakers.

The problem could be solved by having a midfielder able to hold the ball in the opposition half, somebody like a Hughes/Dawkins who can control it more in the middle and show for the ball, currently of our midfield 3 that started vs Sheff Utd, none of them are good at that.

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Martin never really held the ball up though.

He earned free kicks, and his ability to find a pass from a long ball forward was top class, but rarely held onto a long punt forward himself.

The way we've been playing recently, he'd be just as isolated and frustrated as Marriott.

Martin at his best was holding up the ball though when we were playing balls into his feet with Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick/Russell/award running off him. It was the lumping it up in his general direction that stopped that.

Maybe your right, but a striker who we can get the ball to and can bring others in I do think is necessary at the moment.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

The problem could be solved by having a midfielder able to hold the ball in the opposition half, somebody like a Hughes/Dawkins who can control it more in the middle and show for the ball, currently of our midfield 3 that started vs Sheff Utd, none of them are good at that.

I think I posted yesterday in the matchday thread, but we are just desperate for someone who’s comfortable on the ball and can find a bit of space to play. I don’t think the actual position (CM or CF) matters that much. Just someone who can looks to keep hold of the ball!

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not doubting you here (as never really thought about it) but is this backed up by stats?

Can't say I see us as a team constantly under the kosh.

Under the kosh is a bit ott but from what I’ve seen recently is that the ball os constantly in our half, whether we have possession or not. Opposition teams who have 10 men behind the ball and we have no ability to but through it. The only real excitement is from Keoghs runs through the middle. That suggests to me we are playing into opposition hands because they are waiting for us to make a mistake. When was the last time we had a meaningful period of attack where we have been playing in the opposition half for ten minutes and pushing them onto their own 18 yard box? It’s not really Ben happening. Over the course of the season so far I’d say we really haven’t created that many ‘clear cut’ chances in games. We haven’t broke enough teams down and got behind them enough in my eyes.

Again ‘under the kosh’ may be the wrong wording but teams have been facing us too much when we’ve had possession and forcing us back because there’s no outlet to hold the ball further forward.

Archived