I am disgusted by some derby fans

B4ev6is

14 hours ago, Nick_Ram said:

Some real snowflakes kicking around on this thread. Take on some responsibility yourselves and if you don't like something, don't whip out your keyboard, do something about it. 

I know of someone (not personally... merely an acquaintance of an acquaintance) who I have been led to believe had a very similar outlook to you.  Nice bloke apparently.  Upstanding citizen allegedly.  A well-to-do family man, they say, with a successful and well rewarded career to boot .  Hated bullies, by all accounts. 

He made a gallant attempt to "do something about it".

He's serving time for manslaughter now, after delivering a single punch in defence of the one he was simultaneously receiving.

Fair do's... Some might say that's preferable to the outcome for "the other victim"?   ... And of course, the original target he was "protecting" appears to be "eternally grateful", so it's not all doom and gloom.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I know of someone (not personally... merely an acquaintance of an acquaintance) who I have been led to believe had a very similar outlook to you.  Nice bloke apparently.  Upstanding citizen allegedly.  A well-to-do family man, they say, with a successful and well rewarded career to boot .  Hated bullies, by all accounts. 

He made a gallant attempt to "do something about it".

He's serving time for manslaughter now, after delivering a single punch in defence of the one he was simultaneously receiving.

Fair do's... Some might say that's preferable to the outcome for "the other victim"?   ... And of course, the original target he was "protecting" appears to be "eternally grateful", so it's not all doom and gloom.

Who said anything about violence? 

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Does one always get the choice, in such situations?

It's not you that's the problem, it's the unknown folk you are approaching, even if your approach is civil, well mannered, and well meaning.

So you're saying its easier for someone to walk on by and say nothing?

Except for the individual on the receiving end of the chant/abuse of course. They'd probably really appreciate you questioning their behaviours. 

19 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

The sooner you realise this isn't a personal attack on B4, the sooner you'll see my point.

Its the terminology used, suggesting someones behavior is disgusting because he doesn't tackle a big group of pissed up morons is out of order.

Your ideals are fine. But you have to be a certain sort of individual to take on a personal intervention, someone who can handle themselves or is prepared to risk a beating for standing up for your beliefs.

I think ideally most of us would like to think we would stand up for someone, but when it comes down to it its easier said than done. If you want to label anyones behaviour as disgusting (other than the morons) then aim it at security and stewards who ignore this behaviour, afterall its their jobs to make football a safe environment for us to enjoy.

If you saw a gang of people beating someone up while a police officer stood by watching would you intervene? How far do you take it.

13 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

So you're saying its easier for someone to walk on by and say nothing?

Except for the individual on the receiving end of the chant/abuse of course. They'd probably really appreciate you questioning their behaviours. 

I'm sure they would.  As mentioned earlier, the victim in my little aforementioned example is "eternally grateful" to the guy who is now serving time, whilst retaining a "smug satisfaction" for the guy who is now six foot under.  Like I say, it's not all doom and gloom!

In all honesty, I'd like to think I would weigh up any such situation on an individual basis, before making a decision as to whether to intervene or not.  I'm pretty certain though that if there were any hint that I may take a kicking, a stabbing, or an intrusive assault on my nether region, I almost certainly would indeed "walk away".  Hopefully, I'd be in a position to make a call to the experts, and let them deal with the situation in hand.

Now, I appreciate that my comments won't make me as popular with the ladies as your good self, but with a face like mine, that's probably a moot point anyway. 

However, all my comments notwithstanding, I do of course commend you on your own opinion and approach to such matters, and wish you well in your endeavours, should you make that step away from your keyboard to embark upon your crusade.  

Stay safe, my friend.

Different situation...but on a slightly related theme....at a recent away game I was sat with a couple of mates when a large group of drunk, loutish 30-somethings arrived.  

A few of them had seats next to us...but upon seeing their 'poorer view' seats the rest decided they were all piling in next to us and all just shoved up the row...leaving a mate of mine without a seat.  He just sighed and quietly moved away with another of our mates. 

The lad next to me then insisted I continue to move up...which would have left me sharing a seat. I said 'no'. Causing several of them to direct comments at me. I was irritated so 'stood' my ground and refused. 

Which resulted in me spending the first half crushed next to a group of idiots who obviously decided I was 'selfish '. Second half thankfully they moved again..but in hindsight was it really worth the hassle? I could barely enjoy the football it was that tense. 

Also..to be honest, going with my kids sometimes I find the insistence on standing up pretty rude and boorish behaviour...so how far do you take it.? I stood on the Pop Side so I can see bith sides, but imagine paying £60-80 to take your kids to the cinema/theatre and finding they cant actually see anything because people insist its their right to stand.

Archived