Switching back to 3/5 at the back

Sexydadbod

In my opinion our defence isn't strong enough to play in a back four formation and the same issues seem apparent to me as they did under Rowett when we won only 2 in 18 last season. I appreciate that the team is a lot different but the same errors aren't. I propose switching to a back 3 formation much like Rowett did(to see us scrape into the play offs) to tighten the defence up. Now that Evans is fit, a back 3 would suit us much more as Evans is described as someone who would fit well in a back 3 and he's comfortable on the ball. Maybe something like this

Carson

Evans          Keogh         Tomori

Bogle                     Huddlestone               Malone

Wilson               Mount

Waghorn       Marriott.

Bogle and Malone aren't the best defenders so why not play to their strengths? All 3 defenders at the back are comfortable on the ball and can drop into midfield if Huddlestone is overrun. Marriott looks isolated up front at times. Why not play Waghorn in the position he was brought in for? 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

In my opinion our defence isn't strong enough to play in a back four formation and the same issues seem apparent to me as they did under Rowett when we won only 2 in 18 last season. I appreciate that the team is a lot different but the same errors aren't. I propose switching to a back 3 formation much like Rowett did(to see us scrape into the play offs) to tighten the defence up. Now that Evans is fit, a back 3 would suit us much more as Evans is described as someone who would fit well in a back 3 and he's comfortable on the ball. Maybe something like this

Carson

Waghorn       Marriott.

Bogle and Malone aren't the best defenders so why not play to their strengths? All 3 defenders at the back are comfortable on the ball and can drop into midfield if Huddlestone is overrun. Marriott looks isolated up front at times. Why not play Waghorn in the position he was brought in for? 

I'm not so sure that defence is the root problem, I'd just like to see us have a measure of control on the pitch, which the above formation could provide.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Carson

Waghorn       Marriott.

3 at the back would work , but we will need a new  CB to play it successfully. With that said, we may as well try something different as we have been poor recently.

1 hour ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

3 at the back would work , but we will need a new  CB to play it successfully. With that said, we may as well try something different as we have been poor recently.

Don’t forget we’ve still got Pearce. He wouldn’t be too bad an option actually because we seem very vulnerable in the air

I’d definately look at a formation change, 433 is a great formation but it’s one that requires fluidity and creativity, atm we don’t seem good enough or stable enough to pull it off. Like a 3 at the back, always have, but that’s a big switch mid season. I’d look to go to a 4231 for now until we get some stability back:

Carson

Bogle Keogh Tomori Wisdom

Huddlestone Evans

Waghorn Mount Wilson

Marriott

Would solve quite a few of our problems imo, allows greater cover to a kamikaze backline, gets Huddlestone further up the pitch without so much risk as he has another man covering, allowing him to get up where his passes can cause damage. Will get mount closer to the action as well where he can actually create something, and Marriott some support as well. It’s not ideal long term as it becomes a but negative if you’re not careful, but right now we need something to help us get our rhythm back. It’s all become too slow and predictable recently.

Prior to today, our defence was 4th best in the league yet our attack is 10th best - yet we’re focussing on changing a formation to help our defence?! 

If defenders do their jobs today as they have done by and large recently, we don’t concede regardless of formation.

Without Davies we’re missing a centre half that can attack the ball in the air effectively, this needs addressing in the transfer window.

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Prior to today, our defence was 4th best in the league yet our attack is 10th best - yet we’re focussing on changing a formation to help our defence?! 

If defenders do their jobs today as they have done by and large recently, we don’t concede regardless of formation.

Without Davies we’re missing a centre half that can attack the ball in the air effectively, this needs addressing in the transfer window.

A 3 at the back is actually more attacking than you think because wour wing backs for 90 % of the game are effectively wingers . 

2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Carson

Waghorn       Marriott.

Huddlestone needs to be the middle of the three with the game in front of him so he can play the passes that he’s good at and he has played there before.

I’d go with ;

Carson

Keogh   Huddlestone   Tomori 

Bogle       Evans     Mount      Malone

Wilson

Waghorn      Marriott 

or

Carson  

Keogh     Huddlestone    Tomori 

Bogle    Evans    Mount   Bryson   Malone

Wilson    

Marriott 

1 hour ago, Rambalin said:

Problem with these formations is Malone is out for between four and six weeks.

Lowe is back in January. The more I think about it, the more I think a back 3 would suit us. One of Lowe’s problems at the start of the season was his poor positioning against Reading and Leeds. In a back 3 poor positioning would not be as costly. Lowe would probably relish in the wing back role as he used to be a left midfielder. You could even play Callum McDonald there when Lowe needs a rest as he wouldn’t have to worry about getting exposed defensively 

Just now, McLovin said:

Lowe is back in January. The more I think about it, the more I think a back 3 would suit us. One of Lowe’s problems at the start of the season was his poor positioning against Reading and Leeds. In a back 3 poor positioning would not be as costly. Lowe would probably relish in the wing back role as he used to be a left midfielder. You could even play Callum McDonald there when Lowe needs a rest as he wouldn’t have to worry about getting exposed defensively

Problem is Lowe is currently out injured they hope it is only short term but are not sure and he had a history of injury problems.

Macdonald is not ready in my opinion the best fit would be Anya who played that position at Watford.

I am more in favour of personnel change rather than systems. Keogh is a 'busy fool', he does some things great but a lot of our defensive problems come from him being out of position, No BS please about him having to look after other players, his number one priority is to do his defensive job defending the area in front of his goal. If the opposition gets a cross in or a long ball forward that is when his main job begins not charging around like a madman.

For their first goal Carson went down slower than the (deleted name of Argentinian battleship). He is not on his game and this has happened at other clubs he has been at, time to move over for a few games. 

Please Frankie boy, get an additional coach in, the one player that you have brought in on permanent that has shown a reasonable capability (Marriott) is not getting anything like  the service he needs. We create so little from open play, mostly relying on individual talent mainly from loan players. We need a coach that knows the Championship, one that can bring some steel and movement into our team. 

In Championship terms, Lampard has some real talent at his disposal, but we hold little fear for the opposition. You arenot doing a great job yet Frankie, time to up your game.

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

3-4-3 or 3-5-2 isn’t necessarily because the defence is the issue it also enables us to play 2 strikers to accupy their defenders so we can play the game in th me opposition half a bit more. You could put all three goals today down to individual mistakes so from that point of view it doesn’t matter about the system?

i know this guy gets a lot of stick , unjust in my book , but is it a coincedence that these problems , defensively and attacking , have appeared since Fozzy got injured,,, i am preparing myself for the Fozzy haters to have a go  , but have a look at the chances created with Fozzy in the team and he was involved in a fair percentage of them

Yet again we have been hit by injuries in key positions (LB) however FL needs to get a grip with is team selections and tactics.The game yesterday was crying out for Waghorn given the fact he had also scored in the previous game and Flo Jo was no were to be seen

Once again we have been out thought as all the teams now have made Mount a marked man the only creative player we have,Apart from set pieces we dont look like scoring even yesterday apart from Wilsons chance we never created nothing.

The players we have are not good enough to play 4-3-3 including both our full back can neither defend or make a decent overlap

More protection is required certainly on Saturday and would have a look at the 4-2-3-1 system again as were leaking goals for fun

team to face Norwich

Carson

Bogle - Tomori- keogh - Anya(last resort)

Huddlestone - Evans

Waghorn - Mount - Wilson

Marriott

Thoughts!

Just watched the Norwich goals and the late chance Norwich had when they hit the bar, I can’t see Keogh in the penalty area , he was near the D on the box I think , what was he doing there ? If he was following his man he possibly went too far out, sometimes at corners defenders concentrate to much on marking the man than getting a head on the ball 

Good result at Norwich but shipping 6 goals in two games not automatic promotion 

Archived