Is this squad better than Billy Davies' Promotion squad?

Poynton ram

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Steve Howard of course. 

I was thinking the other day, we could do with someone like a Steve Howard in this squad. Like an Andy Carrol plan b. We’ve got no one who’s really strong in the air. We’ve got nuge and Marriott who ate basically interchangeable but don’t really offer anything different from each other. But it wouldn’t kill us to have a big man we can bring on to win some crosses and corners. 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I was thinking the other day, we could do with someone like a Steve Howard in this squad. Like an Andy Carrol plan b. We’ve got no one who’s really strong in the air. We’ve got nuge and Marriott who ate basically interchangeable but don’t really offer anything different from each other. But it wouldn’t kill us to have a big man we can bring on to win some crosses and corners. 

We certainly need a centre forward who can replace Marriott or join him and is likely to score goals, nugent we all like but he misses far to many nowadays 

Two different questions...is the squad better?...and ..who would get in the team? Possibly none would figure in a Lampard team I would guess.

Chris Martin doesn't fit the current team profile...so hard to see how Steve Howard would.  But is he better/worse? 

Oakley....more mobile than Hudds, better on the ball than Bryson so maybe he might.  Otherwise...hard to see anyone who would. 

But that team played in a particular way.. would Tom Lawrence be able to drift in and out of games in that team.? Would Malone be able to tear up the pitch in the 90th min or Mount be able to get on the ball and bounce 1-2's off Craig Fagan ?

Just steve howard from that team

Bywater v carson - carson

mears v bogle - bogle

mceveley v malone - malone

moore v keogh - keogh

leacock v tomori - tomori

oakley v bryson  - draw

johnson v huddz  - huddz

fagan v anyone - anyone

pearson v wilson - wilson

peschisolido v marriott  - marriott

howard v waghorn? - howard

Barnes v mount - draw 

7 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Just steve howard from that team

Bywater v carson - carson

mears v bogle - bogle

mceveley v malone - malone

moore v keogh - keogh

leacock v tomori - tomori

oakley v bryson  - draw

johnson v huddz  - huddz

fagan v anyone - anyone

pearson v wilson - wilson

peschisolido v marriott  - marriott

howard v waghorn? - howard

Barnes v mount - draw 

Seth Johnson is better than Huddlestone.  

This team is 100% better. The billy team did well to get promoted as they overachieved. There were players like McEveley and Pearson in that team who couldn’t trap a bag of cement!! The competition and standard of the championship is also much better now. 

Of that side, Oakley and Barnes would probably get in today’s squad along with Seth Johnson but that’s about it, I loved Steve Howard but we don’t play with a target man and if we wanted one as plan B then it would be Chris Martin all day long - different class to Howard.

Having a nice relaxing Xmas and someone goes and mentions that red dog Davros. Well thanks for the horrible memories.

Actually, I quite (really) enjoyed all those 1-0 wins in injury time. The 2 play off games. Winning on penos in the pizzin rain. And Wembley. Whilst the dogs were in Division 3 too. And then he got kneed by Nigel. What a (wee) man.

Still the highlight of the last 20 years!

It would be an interesting match between Billy and  Frank’s teams. I think Frank’s team would fly out the blocks and outplay Billy’s team with some nice football. Wilson, Mount and Lawrence would all hit the woodwork and Marriott have a goal disallowed. But it’d still be 0-0 into injury time and either Howard or Barnes would poach / smash a winner seconds before the full time whistle: 1-0. Keogh would get the blame whether he played or not. 

Archived