Martyn Waghorn

Parsnip

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

He was a dud at Leicester. He came good at Rangers and Ipswich while under no great pressure and with no significant expectations. Hopefully he won't rest on his laurels after a high transfer fee and presumably decent wages.

Id say he was under more pressure at Rangers. Living in the goldfish bowl of glasgow, expected to win every game and score hatfulls every week in front of 52k fans. He was their marquee signing.   

Like I said when he signed, he was injured and then sat on the bench for a lot of the time in his last season and Rangers were glad to get rid. He couldnt get back to match sharpness.

However, his performance at Derby with Ipswich as a target man was the best all season. Our defence couldnt cope with him. 

11 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I fear we may have picked up a dud here. A £6m one at that.

One goal so far, can't make the match day squad, lost the confidence of the management, this time next year he'll be on the cusp of his 30th birthday...

£8m for Bogle might be needed to buy ourselves a new striker then?

Thoughts?

(I await my ban...)

giphy.gif

I was daft enough to respond to the last daft thread with a similar title and I will respond in a similar way to this daft thread (took the bait)....

Whether or not a player is a dud can only be truely assessed once they have left the club and you can look back at their contribution.  If Waghorn were to be sold in January, then you would have to say that he had been a dud.  If he stays at the club for the rest of his contract, scores around 20 goals a season and leaves for £20m (an excellent fee for a man of his age!) then clearly he would not have been a dud.  

Currently, you would have to say he hasn't pulled many trees up, but there is plenty of time.  I have been a bit disappointed though... presumably Frank has too, or he would have had more game time.

While premature, I would say that at least this question has been asked after a proportion of the season has gone, not after about 2 games or whatever it was.  

6 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I was daft enough to respond to the last daft thread with a similar title and I will respond in a similar way to this daft thread (took the bait)....

Whether or not a player is a dud can only be truely assessed once they have left the club and you can look back at their contribution.  If Waghorn were to be sold in January, then you would have to say that he had been a dud.  If he stays at the club for the rest of his contract, scores around 20 goals a season and leaves for £20m (an excellent fee for a man of his age!) then clearly he would not have been a dud.  

Currently, you would have to say he hasn't pulled many trees up, but there is plenty of time.  I have been a bit disappointed though... presumably Frank has too, or he would have had more game time.

While premature, I would say that at least this question has been asked after a proportion of the season has gone, not after about 2 games or whatever it was.  

I reckon our resident root veg is at least in part being a tad mischievous, if not in essence, then certainly in the way he's couched the question ?

I rate Waghorn to be honest.

Always puts a shift in offensively and defensively, supporting Bogle more than Wilson does.

Despite the low amount of goals, as many people have said, we were playing our best football whilst he was in the team. There are always going to be people that have digs and there's nothing you can do about that. Players split opinion all the time.

In my opinion, he always gives it his all no matter what. If the goals were at a steady rate we wouldn't be having this conversation.

17 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I reckon our resident root veg is at least in part being a tad mischievous, if not in essence, then certainly in the way he's couched the question ?

I am of course but it did make me think on Monday night when Nuge trotted on...

When Waghorn signed i thought he'd be our first choice striker with Marriott challenging him. But it turned out that Nuge was first choice with Jack challenging, and now Jack first choice with Nuge as back up. 

Has Waghorn ever really been considered a striker at Derby? If Marriott gets injured would he even be backup to Nuge? 

I agree we've played our best football with Waghorn in the front three but if he's not considered good enough to play centrally (ahead of Nuge) don't we need another striker?

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

Id say he was under more pressure at Rangers. Living in the goldfish bowl of glasgow, expected to win every game and score hatfulls every week in front of 52k fans. He was their marquee signing.   

Like I said when he signed, he was injured and then sat on the bench for a lot of the time in his last season and Rangers were glad to get rid. He couldnt get back to match sharpness.

However, his performance at Derby with Ipswich as a target man was the best all season. Our defence couldnt cope with him. 

Joey Barton couldn't cope with being at Rangers... And if you can survive the fan base and their expectations at ibrox I don't think we're going to phase him on that front. The technical standard might be higher but the fan pressure isn't.

10 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I am of course but it did make me think on Monday night when Nuge trotted on...

When Waghorn signed i thought he'd be our first choice striker with Marriott challenging him. But it turned out that Nuge was first choice with Jack challenging, and now Jack first choice with Nuge as back up. 

Has Waghorn ever really been considered a striker at Derby? If Marriott gets injured would he even be backup to Nuge? 

I agree we've played our best football with Waghorn in the front three but if he's not considered good enough to play centrally (ahead of Nuge) don't we need another striker?

You've got me thinking now. At the start of the season, he was played as a CF. 3 of his first 4 starts were him as the CF - Leeds, Millwall, Rotherham.

He hasn't started as the CF since those games, playing predominantly on the right, with the occasional stint upfront with a partner.

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

I think his performances have been 6/10 but when he plays the team plays better. 

I quite like him. Wasn't that happy about signing him but he's alright. 

Don’t rate him as a CF or Winger but I am open to be convinced.

Says it all really that Nugent is picked ahead of Waghorn. 

31 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Nugent is a CF, Waghorn is a wide forward

Waghorn is currently 3rd choice CF and 2nd choice RW.

With our wide options for the weekend being, Wilson, Waghorn and FloJo, we'll most likely start with Wilson left and Waghorn right. Wilson would have acres of space playing up against Bristol's right back who is pretty poor defensively. It'll be good to get Mount and Wilson playing closer together as well.

Waghorns an interesting one, personally I rate him and think he brings balance despite individually perhaps not noticeably impacting games that much- mainly through his ability to actually hold onto a ball and add a bit of control and outlet that often goes missing in our attack without him. Think he’s actually a striker mind and we’re weakening him by playing him wide, equally however I think overall it makes the team more balanced so I’d be starting him every match wide if it was up to me.

What can be argued is could we have spent the 5 mil more wisely? The job he’s doing atm I think we could have got someone cheaper to do, not that he’s a poor player, but I think he was initially bought to be our first choice striker while Marriott got his feet. But Marriott has stormed into life a bit quicker than we could have all expected, negating the need somewhat for an experienced man like Waghorn. So a dud, not a chance. A wise investment? Well we couldn’t possibly have known how Marriott was gonna adapt, so it seemed a sensible move at the time, even if now in hindsight it looks like it could have been spent elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

I'm still not convinced Waghorn is fully fit. In his comeback games, he looked slow and tentative.

When he's back to fitness he will contribute to goals as he has throughout his career.

Archived