Martyn Waghorn

Parsnip

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Different instructions, better support runners or just a better execution by Waggy of touches that hes been trying all season?

Kind of impossible to know on the instructions front, but it looks to me like a combination of better runners and better execution.

He's tried those touches and fluffed them in past games. He's also done them perfectly only for the runner not to have continued on. But I think the most important thing was the frequency. Every single time the ball looked like reaching Waghorn, someone was making a run, hence the 20 shots we had. 

We'll do well to end the season if our midfielders keep taking those types of risks. We're good at that kind of football. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His performance was a great number 9, game yesterday, he held the ball up, played runners in,  was hard to knock off the ball, it had everything but a goal, which he deserved, will be a very important player for us us if we are going to make the play offs.

I couldn’t get to the game yesterday so had to make do with radio commentary and highlights. I was thinking Waggy hasn’t scored in a big win, seemed to have a frustrating game, is it time for Marriott next game. It didn’t come through on the quest highlights or radio derby commentary he had played well. It was only watching the extended highlights on my sky football app that I saw this excellent hold up play, and link up and even unlucky with a couple of chances. 

Good to see he’s playing well, we need him and Marriott in the run in. 

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I couldn’t get to the game yesterday so had to make do with radio commentary and highlights. I was thinking Waggy hasn’t scored in a big win, seemed to have a frustrating game, is it time for Marriott next game. It didn’t come through on the quest highlights or radio derby commentary he had played well. It was only watching the extended highlights on my sky football app that I saw this excellent hold up play, and link up and even unlucky with a couple of chances. 

Good to see he’s playing well, we need him and Marriott in the run in. 

Guess you were listening to Radio Derby then?

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Kind of impossible to know on the instructions front, but it looks to me like a combination of better runners and better execution.

He's tried those touches and fluffed them in past games. He's also done them perfectly only for the runner not to have continued on. But I think the most important thing was the frequency. Every single time the ball looked like reaching Waghorn, someone was making a run, hence the 20 shots we had. 

We'll do well to end the season if our midfielders keep taking those types of risks. We're good at that kind of football. 

At the risk of opening up old wounds if he can become a blend of Chris Martin hold up, with ability to use a bit more pace and go direct then he could be a good signing for us ?

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

I really like that he was coming deeper and bringing players into it.

I don't think he's doing anything particular different to earlier in the season tbh, just now he's not being ignored when he does drop deep and the ball is getting to him quicker, and quite importantly on the floor - he's still pretty poor at receiving and controlling the ball above knee height and competing for it with a defender at his back, he's not winning any free kicks like 'Prime Chris Martin' used to for instance and his judgement of the ball in the air is similar to Andre Wisdom's, eg not good!

I think (controversially?) a big culprit in him not getting receiving the right ball previously, despite all the talk of his superior passing range, has been Huddlestone - someone seems to have broken his radar equipment. He  prefers the long ball in behind for people to chase or diagoinals than the little ball between the lines, and sometimes it just takes him so damn long to do anything that by the time he is willling and ready to pass it to the CF who's dropped deep, both he and the CF have got a man on them!  That wouldn't be such a problem if Waghorn was good at competing with another player for an aerial ball, but as stated above...

On 14/04/2019 at 09:11, angieram said:

Waghorn had a really good game yesterday but the two blokes behind me still moan about him. When Mount scored his first they were moaning that Waghorn should have taken the shot. 

No praise at all for the awareness to put Mount through on goal! 

Christ, so we have fans who still moan about the type of goal we score. Even more bewildering with the quality of that first goal. Took 4 bolton players out of the game and I didnt realise until watching it back how well Waggy does to adjust his body to place it perfectly through to Mount.

I hope we see more of this. Hes a fighter and can score all kinds of goals. Hope he can grab a few in the run in. 

We just need to keep playing to our strengths. Waghorn has proved he can hold up the play and is good when the ball is on the floor. If we are going to keep starting him, then that is what we've got to do. If we do that, we'll score goals as seen against Bolton.

Archived