Martyn Waghorn

Parsnip

I fear we may have picked up a dud here. A £6m one at that.

One goal so far, can't make the match day squad, lost the confidence of the management, this time next year he'll be on the cusp of his 30th birthday...

£8m for Bogle might be needed to buy ourselves a new striker then?

Thoughts?

(I await my ban...)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I fear we may have picked up a dud here. A £6m one at that.

One goal so far, can't make the match day squad, lost the confidence of the management, this time next year he'll be on the cusp of his 30th birthday...

£8m for Bogle might be needed to buy ourselves a new striker then?

Thoughts?

(I await my ban...)

Top post 

i’m Happy to Announce this as the Bris Vegas fan of the year award winner 2018

waghorn now a nailed on dud ....just like Jack Marriott ?

Nah, deffo not a dud.

Personally think it is man management from Lampard. He did the same with Marriott and now look at him.

I expect him to start on Saturday and play very well and let out a wee bit of anger and frustration by bagging a few goals.

The season is very long in the championship. Not every players can maintain any kind of form for the full duration in this league and I think FL is being very clever with him all be it slightly peculiar to us mind. After all, he sees him every day in training. Same could be said about Zoon, maybe he is doing the same with him. FL is a very clever man, irrelevant of his management experience I would expect him to know what buttons to press with certain players.

Probably wrong but we will see.

As mentioned not getting playing time at the mo, with competion good everyone working hard it's difficult to be critical.Just needs to take his chance when it becons ,sure it won't be to long before he is used and staking a claim for first team football

He's not an impact player, he needs a run of games and to get into the groove but so far hasn't been afforded the opportunity.

Playing him for the last 10 minutes of games and judging his attacking contribution is about as pointless as it always has been in doing the same with Chris Martin. If he only gets minutes when the game is gone he's never going to do anything, he needs to be playing from the start.

The reasons for his lack of worthwhile minutes are a mystery, but possibly Lampard doesn't want to drop either Marriott or Wilson who he sees as players who are more likely to 'do something out of nothing' and/or more clinical finishers, similar for Lawrence (not clinical, but could do something remarkable given enough opportunities).  The danger with that is you become over-reliant on 'something out of nothing' and your team play can't back it up / replace it when it isn't produced.

I think we're on the border to doing just that, I don't think we've got the balance right yet (it's a work in progess!), but it seems like the approach we're going with is one where we'll keep Lawrence on the pitch and put him upfront for 10 minutes rather than take him off earlier and give Waghorn 30 minutes., just in case... a scenario in which Waghorn could be called a waste of money, or a dud, through no fault of his own and through no lack of ability.

I feel we've seen a few too many stunted attacking peformances, for every West Brom there's a Stoke, Rotherham & Milwall, we've scraped through some matches without really impressing but have had Wilson or Marriott to make the difference at the right time and got the win.

Still, it's a lot more enjoyable than last season!

Exhibit a: Vydra (and not just cos they are clones). Didn’t really set the world alight in his first season. Golden boot winner in his second. Even if wag horn doesn’t come good this season (and I think he will), that doesn’t make him a dud. 

Blackman, Best, these are duds. Waghorn has already surpassed them at least. 

49 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I like the reverse psychology.

Just needs a run of games,big question mark over wether or not he gets them though?

Now Lawrence is injured big chance for him to get his chance in the team, I think it's time for Holmes to get his chance in the team too! 

Archived