Brian Clough

Comrade 86

44 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

This was great, my Dad bought me up on tales of Clough and it is a rare thing that you just wish you were a bit older.

In this instance, I really feel I missed out by a few years, what joy the late 60’s and early 70’s must have been.

...yeah...we had flared trousers & tank tops?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

This was great, my Dad bought me up on tales of Clough and it is a rare thing that you just wish you were a bit older.

In this instance, I really feel I missed out by a few years, what joy the late 60’s and early 70’s must have been.

I love all of this. But in my more maudlin moods it makes me wonder... people of our generation think the era of Smith, Biano, Erandio, asanovic, is as good as it gets, but it was so much better once. And then it got so much worse. To the point that a run to the playoffs under McClaren is seen as a highlight. 

I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe the older fans can tell me, is it better to have loved and lost?

such amazing heights we experienced before I was born, and now we’re happy with relative mediocrity. 

Bit of a depressing thought, sorry for being glass half full. 

On 19/12/2018 at 19:04, 86 points said:

Came across this by pure chance. I'd not seen it before and while most others will have it might please a few who haven't.  A fresh-faced Cloughie, confident verging on feisty and bullish as he always was but looking so young and fresh at the same time. I suppose the ravages of the booze and stress were yet to come and he looks years younger than his skipper of that time. Have a peep if you've not seen it already. The interesting premise is that the first half is in the close season before the return to the old 1st division, the second during the season itself. Compare Cloughie's player assessments and predictions for the team's performance with what actually happened. Still a genius in my eyes and this vid only strengthens that view. He's asked at one point whether six months in the top division has aged him and sadly you can see the signs even such a short time after the first interview. He talks very honestly and openly about his health, his mindset and his chances of reaching retirement age. It's very poignant to say the least. 

I think it's the best interview with BC ever. Absolutely in his prime and pure genius. Sadly missed by all of us. 

10 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

I love all of this. But in my more maudlin moods it makes me wonder... people of our generation think the era of Smith, Biano, Erandio, asanovic, is as good as it gets, but it was so much better once. And then it got so much worse. To the point that a run to the playoffs under McClaren is seen as a highlight. 

I don’t know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe the older fans can tell me, is it better to have loved and lost?

such amazing heights we experienced before I was born, and now we’re happy with relative mediocrity. 

Thats an easy one. I don't think i would be a Derby fan or even that interested in football if it wasn't for the Brian Clough era. It was fantastic. 

Thanks for a special Chrimbo present 86points. Never seen this. Just watched at work (break!) with equal tears of joy and sadness. Blimey can’t believe how emotional I am writing this. 

So many emotions of a talent never unleashed on England. So many what ifs too. Because Dave Mackay bought Franny, if Brian had stayed at Derby, I’d still be a Man City fan. It’s incredible to think how different my life would have been, not what happened to the team I support but my whole life through other events would have been dramatically different. Mind bending! 

My battery life suffers these days so I’m going to look forward Nutty to watching your post in next few days. Thank you for that.

Again many thanks 86 lovely surprise to see this!

Merry Christmas! 

12 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Yes, it is better to have loved - because you never lose those memories and they are great to look back on.

But they are just that - fantastic memories - and the most important Derby game for me is always the next one. 

Angie's right TT, better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all. Wonderful memories of a wonderful footballing teenage era when we were for, a few years, genuinely among Europe's best. 

For all that Dave's team was, I think, even better than Brian's, Dave couldn't have done what Brian did. We were in the doldrums for many years rattling around the second division. Kevin Hector's arrival was a relatively rare high spot and out of keeping with what was happening around the club at the time. That made Brian and Peter's success all the better especially after their first full season didn't go very well. In fact the promotion season was mixed until we went on a long unbeaten run at the end - there are lessons for today in our history. 

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

Angie's right TT, better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all. Wonderful memories of a wonderful footballing teenage era when we were for, a few years, genuinely among Europe's best. 

For all that Dave's team was, I think, even better than Brian's, Dave couldn't have done what Brian did. We were in the doldrums for many years rattling around the second division. Kevin Hector's arrival was a relatively rare high spot and out of keeping with what was happening around the club at the time. That made Brian and Peter's success all the better especially after their first full season didn't go very well. In fact the promotion season was mixed until we went on a long unbeaten run at the end - there are lessons for today in our history. 

There wouldn't have been any Dave Mackay if it wasn't for Brian.

i've never really understood the argument that mackays team was better. They won the league with 5 points fewer. Charlie george didn't arrive until after and Mcfarland was missing. I wish both teams had played on a decent pitch.

15 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Yes and no, to have loved and lost is not too bad.To have loved and lost to the red dogs  is the absolute pits. 

6 hours ago, SKRam said:

Thanks for a special Chrimbo present 86points. Never seen this. Just watched at work (break!) with equal tears of joy and sadness. Blimey can’t believe how emotional I am writing this. 

So many emotions of a talent never unleashed on England. So many what ifs too. Because Dave Mackay bought Franny, if Brian had stayed at Derby, I’d still be a Man City fan. It’s incredible to think how different my life would have been, not what happened to the team I support but my whole life through other events would have been dramatically different. Mind bending! 

My battery life suffers these days so I’m going to look forward Nutty to watching your post in next few days. Thank you for that.

Again many thanks 86 lovely surprise to see this!

Merry Christmas! 

Most welcome SK. It is very poignant, least I found it so. Have a wonderful Xmas yourself and a Happy New year too!

Archived