Brian Clough

Comrade 86

46 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I had seen some of it before, but I love listening to Brian Clough, especially in his younger days. 

Still quite a fearsome chap but not so acerbic, nor defensive. Even I refer to him as Old Big 'Ed but I do wonder how much of his brash persona was a mask. I think there was less overt pressure back then but Cloughie was super high-profile, partly of his own volition and partly because of his wit and legendary soundbites. I see a similar arc with Jose Mourinho who has aged 25 years in the last 10. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic! What memories.

It tool me back to my 11 year old self.  I remember going to the Baseball Ground one day that summer with my Dad and buying 2 season tickets in the Osmaston stand, we were allowed on the terrace to see the Ley stand being built but I don't think it's construction was as advanced at that time as it looked on the film.  I can even remember hearing David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' for the first time on the car radio as we drove home. I also remember the Werder Bremen friendly game that's shown and I was also at the Forest game featured.

The best thing I've seen in ages, thanks for sharing.

On 19 December 2018 at 19:04, 86 points said:

Came across this by pure chance. I'd not seen it before and while most others will have it might please a few who haven't.  A fresh-faced Cloughie, confident verging on feisty and bullish as he always was but looking so young and fresh at the same time. I suppose the ravages of the booze and stress were yet to come and he looks years younger than his skipper of that time. Have a peep if you've not seen it already. The interesting premise is that the first half is in the close season before the return to the old 1st division, the second during the season itself. Compare Cloughie's player assessments and predictions for the team's performance with what actually happened. Still a genius in my eyes and this vid only strengthens that view. He's asked at one point whether six months in the top division has aged him and sadly you can see the signs even such a short time after the first interview. He talks very honestly and openly about his health, his mindset and his chances of reaching retirement age. It's very poignant to say the least. 

Could this be the post of 2018, loved it, will watch it again and again, one of the best managers ever, just wished he did not go so soon, we would have been champions of Europe if he had stayed not once but twice.

5 minutes ago, Richard Dastard Lee said:

Fantastic! What memories.

It tool me back to my 11 year old self.  I remember going to the Baseball Ground one day that summer with my Dad and buying 2 season tickets in the Osmaston stand, we were allowed on the terrace to see the Ley stand being built but I don't think it's construction was as advanced at that time as it looked on the film.  I can even remember hearing David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' for the first time on the car radio as we drove home. I also remember the Werder Bremen friendly game that's shown and I was also at the Forest game featured.

The best thing I've seen in ages, thanks for sharing.

Very welcome. Thread was quiet initially so assumed most folk had seen it before. Must confess I remember very little from that time. Was just a nipper! Bowie, Brian and the BBG make for a great nostalgia trifecta! 

8 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Could this be the post of 2018, loved it, will watch it again and again, one of the best managers ever, just wished he did not go so soon, we would have been champions of Europe if he had stayed not once but twice.

Glad you enjoyed it buddy! Turns out it's something of an undiscovered gem for many. Came up randomly as a suggested link in YouTube though I'm not sure how or why. We have their 'you might like' algorithm to thank in any case! I do think the makers created a mini-classic though Cloughie's subsequent life no doubt adds some retrospective poignancy. Your post made me smile as the moment it finished, I watched it again ?

I have seen this before, but it is good. I like the film of the original 'clough brigade' and its great to hear him praising Les Green.

poor old Les (RIP) doesn't get the credit he deserves. Probably because of the unforgiveable hatchet job performed by graham Richards on the DCFC centenary Radio Derby programme. Yes he let in 4 v man utd on boxing day but what about all the great saves? 

One of my favourite cloughie interviews is one from after he retired when he talked about his time at Derby and was quite complimentary towards Longson. I was trying to look for it on youtube last night, but couldn't find it. I did find one from his time at Forest which was similar to the one posted here. He was in his office, talking fluently and openly without the growling or barking that he sometimes delivered. He talked about the juventus semi final. Although it was mostly about Forest it was quite interesting.

not sure if i'd be allowed to post that one.

10 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Well home clubs shared their gate receipts and no TV money in the quantity we have now so a much more level playing field . It may be hard to believe for youngsters looking at todays Prem but in those days Derby bought players from the likes of Arsenal and Man City and it was an upgrade.

Absolute  tragedy that he was allowed to leave we would have gone on to dominate Europe like Liverpool did.

I agree that I think we'd have gone on to be a real force, but saying he was allowed to leave is a bit misleading.

The infighting had been going on for forever and Cloughie was the leading protagonist. Rightly or wrongly he saw the Board as beneath him and he was incredibly arrogant at that time.

The directors tried to keep him. it was BC who threw down a gauntlet that they just couldn't pick up. And he admitted as such many times.  

12 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Well home clubs shared their gate receipts and no TV money in the quantity we have now so a much more level playing field . It may be hard to believe for youngsters looking at todays Prem but in those days Derby bought players from the likes of Arsenal and Man City and it was an upgrade.

Absolute  tragedy that he was allowed to leave we would have gone on to dominate Europe like Liverpool did.

This is going to sound as if I'm nit picking KK so apologies in advance, because this was a great bit of nostalgia. Like Ramnut I had seen it before but not for a long time and it brought back wonderful memories and a smile to my face.

He was talking in the 69/70 season when we finished 4th, would have been in the Fairs Cup the following year but for behind the scenes administration rooster ups that led to us being banned. In 70/71 we came about 9th or 10th I think and then won the title the season after that, which led to Europe and ultimately Dave Mackay's reign

It was only in those later seasons that we were seen as an upgrade to players from established First Division teams, like Arsenal or Man City - 3 or 4 years after this interview and beyond. And that was Brian and Peter's real genius. They could find the Roy MacFarlands, Colin Todds and the over the hill Dave Mackays, they were ruthless in moving on the likes of Willie Carlin and they found ways of making those such as your namesake and Alan Durban play better than they ever thought they could. But as Brian alludes to in his interviews we were then the new kids on the block and Brian was the new upstart manager. 

Thanks 86 points, hadn't seen this before and it brings back so many memories. There are so many astonishing things about Clough's time up to winning the league. Not least how the success was built on using only 13 or 14 players a season, with others only playing a handful of games. Then there is success rate of the signings Clough/Taylor brought in - Mackay, McFarland, O'Hare,  and Hinton, Todd, McGovern, Gemmill and Hennessey. Where were the duds?

4 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Thanks 86 points, hadn't seen this before and it brings back so many memories. There are so many astonishing things about Clough's time up to winning the league. Not least how the success was built on using only 13 or 14 players a season, with others only playing a handful of games. Then there is success rate of the signings Clough/Taylor brought in - Mackay, McFarland, O'Hare,  and Hinton, Todd, McGovern, Gemmill and Hennessey. Where were the duds?

Uncanny, wasn't it? I'd love to know how they went about their scouting and recruitment, the marquee type signings aside. Hearing Cloughie talk about 'a 19 centre back who nobody knows but will soon show he's the best CB in the country' made me smile as did his comment about what good value Alan Hinton was and how he was the most underrated player in the side. It's as if they had a sixth sense for these things.

So many wonderfully articulate posts being shared which are great to read and which resonate and stir the soul. We all know what would have happened had Cloughie not let his exuberant arrogance get the better of him...but he and Taylor were truly brilliant at what they did and the evidence was on the pitch: brilliant, majestic, fast football, played on the ground by players who were superbly skilled. Such, such were the joys! 

3 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

So many wonderfully articulate posts being shared which are great to read and which resonate and stir the soul. We all know what would have happened had Cloughie not let his exuberant arrogance get the better of him...but he and Taylor were truly brilliant at what they did and the evidence was on the pitch: brilliant, majestic, fast football, played on the ground by players who were superbly skilled. Such, such were the joys! 

Made all the more amazing by the fact that they could play like that on a surface that mostly resembled a cow patch! 

8 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

This is going to sound as if I'm nit picking KK so apologies in advance, because this was a great bit of nostalgia. Like Ramnut I had seen it before but not for a long time and it brought back wonderful memories and a smile to my face.

He was talking in the 69/70 season when we finished 4th, would have been in the Fairs Cup the following year but for behind the scenes administration rooster ups that led to us being banned. In 70/71 we came about 9th or 10th I think and then won the title the season after that, which led to Europe and ultimately Dave Mackay's reign

It was only in those later seasons that we were seen as an upgrade to players from established First Division teams, like Arsenal or Man City - 3 or 4 years after this interview and beyond. And that was Brian and Peter's real genius. They could find the Roy MacFarlands, Colin Todds and the over the hill Dave Mackays, they were ruthless in moving on the likes of Willie Carlin and they found ways of making those such as your namesake and Alan Durban play better than they ever thought they could. But as Brian alludes to in his interviews we were then the new kids on the block and Brian was the new upstart manager. 

No worries rose tinted glasses and fading memory . But the big divide wasn't there then as it is now.

Thanks a lot for sharing this @86 points

I'm only just old enough to remember the BBG, so for young Ram fans like me this stuff needs to be saved and shared so it doesn't get forgotten and twisted over time. I'll be watching this and hopefully learning a lot so another generation remembers.

In the later clips I've seen (from the early '90s), he always reflects on his Derby days as the "best" of his managerial career. Shame he was drunk and couldn't properly pronounce "managerial" but still! Amazing the way he talks about those 6 years he had with us.

Archived