Banana Skin Thrower Court Case.

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11584946/tottenham-fan-fined-for-throwing-banana-skin-at-pierre-emerick-aubameyang

I’m not even going to comment but it needs reporting.

Lets see if we can break the record for having a thread closed.

I'm gonna try (To comment... not get the thread closed!)

So with his denial, and the lack of a police charge for anything race related, the magistrate can still include it in his "findings", and amend his punishment accordingly?

With that, shouldn't the police now be "re-opening the case", or whatever it is they do, and look into racism charges?

Is this "alleged racist element" only worth the paltry additional sum of £100?  If the magistrate has convinced himself/herself that racism was involved, shouldn't he be looking at £Thousands?  Or prison?

How can the magistrate include racism... for which there were no charges... in his findings, and why has the magistrate put a such an offensive figure of £100 to it?

I'm baffled! 

*Please note... "?" infers I am asking a question, not giving an opinion! 

My only opinion is that a fine of £100 for racism would be laughable, if it wasn't so offensive!

7 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

So with his denial, and the lack of a police charge for anything race related, the magistrate can still include it in his "findings", and amend his punishment accordingly?

With that, shouldn't the police now be "re-opening the case", or whatever it is they do, and look into racism charges?

Is this "alleged racist element" only worth the paltry additional sum of £100?  If the magistrate has convinced himself/herself that racism was involved, shouldn't he be looking at £Thousands?  Or prison?

How can the magistrate include racism... for which there were no charges... in his findings, and why has the magistrate put a such an offensive figure of £100 to it?

I'm baffled! 

My only opinion is that a fine of £100 for racism would be laughable, if it wasn't so offensive!

All completely fair and reasonable points.

I’m not going to comment either,I just thought as a Football Forum it was too important as a case to not mention.

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm baffled! 

Racist element = the act of throwing the banana (skin) on the pitch which has historical references to racism.

However, it wasn't proven to be a racist act with racist intent.

This is how I see it.

So his defence was that he just did it in a 'spur of the moment' - that is not defence, he threw the object, spur of the moment, not thinking, just reacting are all not acceptable excuses to commit a crime*.  He threw an object at someone, deliberatly, regardless of what the object was.  You cannot just throw something at someone and not have consequences.

Why can it fall under racism?  It is because throwing of that particular object is seen by the majority of population, that associate themselves with football, that it has a historic link of being a racist act.

*spur of the moment reaction to your own defence is, at times, an acceptable action.

Archived